1972 Indian D22 Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garthtrucker

Hey Everyone,
I recently purchased a 1972 Indian D22 and it has brake issues. I had my buddy inspect it and he says that it needs $1200 worth of parts for the brake system to get it inspected. Does this sound normal or does anyone know some good suppliers for parts for these Indians? I'm pulling at straws here since I've never had one. Any help would be apprecitated!
Thanks!!

I don't know what chassis the early Winnebagos were using, but if you can find the V.I.N. #, you could try Napa Auto Parts. They Carry most of the truck type brake parts, at least in our area.

Thanks everyone for the reply! I'm getting a list of what needs to be replaced from my mechanic tomorrow. I'll probably post again and see if anyone has any advice!!

So here's the list:
Front Brakes, Front Wheel cylinders, Front Brake Hoses, Rear Brake Shoes, Rear Brake Cylinders, Both sets of Rear Brake Hoses and a new motor mount. Is this worth fixing or should I cut my losses and see what I can get for it?

You have a real classic there and you would be the talk of any campground with it restored - go for it if you can.  If being a classic Winnebago has no value to you, I would not even consider getting involved in trying to fix/restore it.  Odds are the deeper you get into it, the more issues you will find.

Thanks John,
I think I'm gonna give it a try. The outside is in great shape except for needing a polish. Everything works including the Onan Generator, Fridge, Furnace and A/C. The interior is in great shape as well. I really think it would be worth the repair!

So I manage a small fleet of trucks here in PA and one of my drivers is willing to take on the brake job!!! My truck service guy is willing to tow it to my driver's house for free. It's all starting to work out! I'll keep everyone posted on how the brake job goes!

If you get it up and running and decide to go to the Winnebago GNR (Grand NAtional Rally) in Forest City Iowa, you can get a spot in the row with other vintage Winnbagos  ;D

codgerbill said:
If you get it up and running and decide to go to the Winnebago GNR (Grand NAtional Rally) in Forest City Iowa, you can get a spot in the row with other vintage Winnbagos  ;D

Oh yeah! You would be one of the stars of the show!

I found all the parts that I need for the job except for front and rear brake lines and a motor mount. Anyone know where I can find these items? Nappa was able to get everything else. When is the Winnebago GNR?

Thanks John! The guy that is planning on fixing the brakes said he will be able to make the lines for me!

Hopefully we can make it to next year's GNR if we get her up and running. Thanks for the info!

:D

You will need to join WIT, Winnebago Itasca Travelers, it is well worth it a great factory RV club.  Go to www.winnebagoind.com
We have been WIT members whenever we own a Winnebago since 1990.
Regards, Dick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom