DPs on a Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

Well, I'm getting to within a few months of returning from Afghanistan, which also means I get to purchase my first RV.  I'm looking for some thoughts on some of the different makes/models in my budget range ($40K-50K; maybe a little more for the right coach). I'm planning to get a DP in the 36-40 foot range. Here are some of the ones I have been looking at during my "window shopping":

-Fleetwood Discovery, Expedition, Excursion, Bounder (although I don't really like the mid-coach door on the early Bounders)

-Monaco/Holiday Rambler, various models (I have no idea what the difference is between the various model names)

-Newmar, Dutch Star or Mountain Aire

-Itasca/Winnebago Journey, perhaps others.

Does anyone know of any known, serious problems with any of these models during, say, the years 1999-2003?  (Like the problem with Alfa fiberglass sidewalls)  Any that you would prefer to others?  I have a floorplan in mind that I should be able to get in any of these models.

Sorry for such a broad open-ended question.

[edit]  Also, I would like to avoid coaches that are known to be cheaply built to meet a low price point, such as Coachman.  Are there others that fall into this category you would avoid?

Where are you going back too, Ft ?.  I would first check out a local dealer, take a test ride in something that is in your price range and length you want.  The new motrohome problems should be already worked out in the range you are going to be looking at. Anything now would be either, abuse, sitting or lack of maintenance. All the MH you named are fine MH and there are some gems to be had.. The biggest thing is getting one that fits YOUR needs.

Did Afghan 2 years ago and it sucked, glad to hear you are almost done.

Frank-

Nope, Fleetwood make Bounder diesels, as well.  The layout, at least up to 2003 or 04, was more like a gas coach with the entry door in the middle rather than the front.  It's not my preference.

Chief-

Going back to Rock Isand Arsenal.  I'm a DA civilian there.  Afghanistan's been pretty tolerable so far.  I actually like it a lot better than Kuwait, where I spent a few months last fall.  It's only a six month tour.  As I recall from your earlier posts, you're in scenic Kosovo right now. ;D

Scott,

Thank you for your service.  I think the coaches you listed are all good units to look at as far as quality.  I would also consider American Coach in that group.  American Coach is Fleetwood's higher end coach line and in the years you mentioned you can find some of those in your price range.  I bought a 2000 American Dream last year that was in great shape for just a little more than the price you are looking for.  American Eagle, Dream, Tradition, Revolution are the models to look at.  I would also add the Tifin coaches to your list.  The Tifin Allegro Bus and Phaeton are two of the more popular models of DP's that they make and their customer service is legendary. 

Any of the manufacturers you listed make entry level coaches all the way up to top end coaches with corresponding higher prices.  I think the biggest thing is to find floorplan that suits you best in any of those makes you are looking at.  Good luck with your search.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.  I have seen some of the American coaches getting down toward that price range as well.  I'll keep that in mind.  Let me follow up on that a bit:  In shopping, what did you find were the noticeable differences in quality between your American Dream and the more mid-range models?  The only DPs I've viewed in person have been some Monacos that the local dealer has and a friend's Bounder.  Otherwise, my viewing has all been through the internet.  I can see some differences in photos, such as more upscale plumbing fixtures, and sometimes the cabinetry, but I'm sure there are other cosmetic and perhaps structural upgrades that I don't notice.

On the flip side, are there aspects of upgraded components that you think will be more expensive to replace than they would be on a lower priced coach.  (I hope that makes sense)  I'm thinking of the analogy of a Ferrari being more expensive to maintain than a Chevy.  Probably not an apt analogy.

Thanks for mentioning the Tiffin products.  They're also on my informal "list" but I forgot to mention them.

Bounder is on the lines of an entry level coach. It will have the least bells and whistles.

As far as repairs being higher on higher end coaches. Not usually. Mostly the same equipment. There are some things that may be different  such as aqua hot vs water heater and furnaces. But in all, same same to fix.

Higher end coaches do tend to be a little better taken care of. JMHO!!!

Steve

I assume that you have found the PPL website for motorhomes.  If not, google it and take a look.  They have an excellent website for quickly looking at a variety of used DP's, including floorplans, equipment, prices and pictures.  All of their coaches are on consignment, IIRC.  Kinda warm in Houston this time of the year though.

Our experience has been the higher up the food chain you go the more add-ons become standard. The more toys the more expense to keep them all working.

taoshum said:
I assume that you have found the PPL website for motorhomes.  If not, google it and take a look.  They have an excellent website for quickly looking at a variety of used DP's, including floorplans, equipment, prices and pictures.  All of their coaches are on consignment, IIRC.  Kinda warm in Houston this time of the year though.

Oh, yes.  I have.  At times I think I've seen every MH for sale in the continental US.  ;D

The Monaco coaches in that time period were pretty decent.  We had a 1999 34' Windsor that we loved but traded up to a 2003 40' Executive which has been relatively trouble-free.  The important thing is to find a model you like that has as many features as you can find and at a price you can afford.  I'd be careful about some of the coaches of all mfgrs. that were made just before they went bankrupt or were bought out because quality often suffered shortly before a downfall, such as right before Monaco bought Safari.  I didn't see Country Coach on your list and they too were pretty good.  Of course, "orphans" can be problematic when it comes to getting parts but a lot of us are learning to live with that.  :eek:

ArdraF

Thanks, all.  At the risk of offending satisfied owners of [fill in the blank], are there any makes that you would shy away from during the period of, say, 1999-2003 because of known quality problems or just general low quality?

Scoot-
Yes, I am still in Kosovo. Just came back from my 10 days R&R, went way too fast. We are on the downhill slide now and planning our escape plan...:) I have done the full middle east full tour package.

I like the American Eagles myself, when and if I ever upgrade I will go to something like that.

Awesome, Chief.  I've got 100 days left in country as of today (but who's counting?).  I thought about extending for a few months so I would be eligible for R&R, but talked to the family and they said no, just come home in October for good. :D

Stay safe and get home soon, brother.

Off the top of my head in that vintage, there were some issues with Monaco/Holiday Rambler Roadmaster chassis (R4R and R4RR chassis) trailing arms cracking. Some more searching will likely get you more info on this. Here's just a summary:

Monaco Knight 2002-2004
Monaco Cayman 2002-2009
HolidayRambler Ambassador 2002-2004
Holiday Rambler Neptune 2002-2009
Safari Cheetah 2002-2006
Safari Zanzibar / Sahara 2002-2005

http://www.rv-chassis.com/flyer2.pdf

Scott,

Some of the things I noticed when shopping between the mid to high end coaches and the entry level coaches were quality of the cabinets, quality of the countertops and dinette table, drawers that worked better, more standard features that are optional on entry level units, general fit and finish was better, as you said more upscale plumbing fixtures, a bigger bath tub/shower and a few other things.  As Jeff said, the more options (read gadgets) you have the more money you can spend on repairs and maintenance.  Also, the mid to high end coaches usually have bigger engines bigger tires bigger cooling systems, etc. because they weigh more, so those things also cost more to repair/maintain/replace.  Most systems in an RV are pretty common to all RVs, but the mid to high end coaches do have some things that will be more expensive to repair/replace.  For instance, converter/inverter is bigger and more expensive, ice makers are usually not found in entry level coaches, bigger refer, bigger and more expensive tires, lighting fixtures and bulbs, heavier leveling system just to name a few.

Photos on the internet can be deceiving.  I looked at a lot of coaches on line at PPL and had a half dozen or more picked out that I thought looked perfect.  When I got there and looked at them in person, almost all of them didn't look nearly as good as the pictures.  After scratching all of them off the list, we started going from coach to coach, which is one of the great things about PPL, and ran across the American Dream that had just arrived at PPL that day.  In fact, the owners were still there and saw us looking at it and came over and talked to us for a long time about the coach before we started haggling with PPL on the price.  It was a much higher end coach than we were looking at and looked so much better for not that much more than we were planning to spend that it was an easy decision for us.  We made the deal that day.

The good thing about looking on line at places like PPL is that you can see the floorplan as well as the pictures of the coach and pick out some that you like.  Just don't be surprised if they don't look as good in person as the pictures present on the internet.  PPL lets you "wander" the lot and look at the inventory without a salesman following you around.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts.  Hope it helps.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.  That is helpful.  And it confirms what I've heard about RVs looking better in photos than in person.  The big thing for the DW is going to be the "smell test."  When we've gone into used coaches and she smells the slightest bit of mustiness, she turns back around.  At least her nose should keep us from buying a water-damaged coach.
:D

You might add Blue Bird Wanderlodge to your list. Prices have fallen amazingly.

www.buybyebluebird.com
www.birdconnection.com
www.vintagebirds.com

Back
Top Bottom