Surfing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bajawinters said:
Just curious do surf related post pertain to this topic or just motorized watersports?

Good question. When I originally set up this board, I had motorized in mind, but there's no reason it can't include surfing. If the traffic gets big enough I'll open a surfing-related board.

I would think that "On the Water" would include anything that goes, well, on the water. We have a sailboat, totally motorless and I would ask questions about it here. Port-a-boats, the ones that fold in half and hang on the side of your RV, would also seem to fit here. So I guess surfboards would also belong "on the water."

Your answer was better than mine Wendy  :-[

Tom, that's cuz you have a boat with a motor and I have a boat with a sail and 2 paddles.

LOL Wendy. How about sharing a photo of the boat, sail and paddles. Maybe with Sam at the helm?

Sam prefers being "in" the water to being in a boat "on" the water. And you'll be surprised to know that the boat has Coca-Cola sails.

wendycoke said:
...you'll be surprised to know that the boat has Coca-Cola sails.

LOL Wendy, didn't anyone tell you that the CC logo is supposed to be on the side of a Coke can or bottle?

I remember their was a fad for the surfboards to have painted on them a Coca Cola stripe/logo.  That was when Coca Cola got into sponsoring alot of surfing events.  That's great to hear that surfing will be accepted here.  We will definitely have some great water stories from the shores of BCS, Mexico.  They may even have some stories of PWC pulling surfers into waves.  We don't have any PWCs but our son has been looking for one to take down to Mex.  Their is a big point break nearby that is only accessible by water and occasionally the waves get so big that you can't paddle into them.  He wants to experiment out there.  Scary for mom and dad.  He definitely will have to go out their with two PWCs and two surfer/driver teams.  One PWC and team for the fun and one for the safety.

Tom which in your opiniion are the most reliable bulletproof PWCs?

bajawinters said:
which in your opiniion are the most reliable bulletproof PWCs?

That's a tough one since our current PWC is the only one I've owned. It's a 1200cc/155hp 3-seater Yahama Waverunner. For sure the 3-seaters are more stable due to their longer LOA and wider beam. I've wished on numerous occasions that we'd bought a Yamaha jet boat instead of the PWC because we'd have had more use out of it during the winter months in Northern CA. But I don't know how a small jet boat would work for the conditions in which your son will be using it.

The jet boat wouldn't work.  The driver needs to be able to jump oncoming whitewater waves while picking up the towed in surfer after a wipeout.  I don't think the boat would do that very well.  What year is your Yamaha?

I have a 18' SeaDoo Challenger 1800 twin engine jet boat ,and it does a fine job in the surf. I watched a video taken from north shore in Hawaii and they were using the seadoo's for catch and release in those mountainous waves out there ! I've had the boat completely swamped and it drained itself nicely.  ;D

Speaking of surfing, I got a chance to surf behind a Mastercraft X80 wake board boad two weekends ago.  This boat is so big and the wake is so big that you can surf behind the boat with out any rope.  Loads of fun and very little risk to bad backs and joints.  My buddy can surf with his daughter on the board with him wearing his sunglasses, hat on and drinking a beverage.  Looks quite cool from the boat.  Its quite a thrill on its own. 

Now that I have done this, I really want to try the real thing!!! ;D

Tom said:
Just watch the feet and legs with the prop!

Lucky for me its a duel stern drive way the heck up under the boat.  Even hanging on the swim platform I can barly reach the props with my feet and I would have to take my life vest off to get deep enough.  The boat was off of course. ;D  The chance of hitting the props while surfing is all but impossible.

I've seen enough accidents where folks thought that, but they are now minus a foot or a leg or two.

Tom said:
I've seen enough accidents where folks thought that, but they are now minus a foot or a leg or two.
Point taken.  I have as well.  I am an Anesthesiologist and see lots of injuries.  Just had a guy come in with a complete Tib. Fib. fracture just above the ankle from a wake board injury.  He was in the air and caught the board just right and snapped it right above the boot.  He was a healthy strong 24 year old male.  ruined his summer and could have been worse.  The price we pay for entertainment. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'll bet you've seen more than your share of injuries.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom