1st time using RV...water questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jemz

We're going for our first overnight trip in our brand new RV to practice hooking up and using everything before we go on a longer trip.  I've never even been to a campground or seen hookups.  So this is what I think we have to do...Use our white (freshwater hose) to fill our water tank (to what level for just one night?)

Do we add water to our black water tank?  How much?  Do we add water to our toilet?  Do we add water to our toilet every time before we use it? 

I read that we should add lots of water along with water softener to the black water tank. 

Sorry for such a basic questions, but I'd rather ask than learn a lesson the hard way!

After this one-nighter, we're going further away for a 2 nighter and then finally a 2 week trip with 5 campsites.

Try adding almost a full tank as you do not know yet what you will need or use. If you are going to a full service campground you can hook up the water supply there and not need the water in the tank nor have the water pump turned on. (BUT you will need tank water for the toilet while going down the road. Don't forget to turn on the water pump as needed!!)

Each time you flush the toilet it adds water to the black tank. It is not much different to your home toilet except that it may have 2 floor pedals instead of the handle on the tank. To start off, simply flush about 2-3 gallons and you should be good to go. The toilet itself should hold water between flushes just like your home toilet, but you do not want a lot in case it sloshes over while moving.

Not at all sure why you would add water softener to the black tank. Most of us just use plain water!!!

You should, however, try and minimize the amount of paper flushed. We don't flush wet paper as used by the ladies, it is simply dropped it in a plastic bag lined waste basket kept next to the toilet. No smells are created by doing this.

Some folks prefer to fill the fresh water tank, simply because they like they're home water. To each there own. For me, I'll fill my water tank if I know that the site I have has no hook ups. As in a rustic site. That don't happen very often. Since this is a 'practice run', here is what I recommend.

Assuming that the campsite has hookups (which it should, being for practice), hook up the camper to the water and the electric. Also saves on hauling the extra weight of the water as you travel.

Everyone has there own system for the black water tank, but what I do is put 3 to 5 toilet bowls worth of water down the tank. Pouring the chemical in when flushing the last bowl of water. Then every time you use and flush, send down a bowl of water. Most problems with black water tanks are caused by not enough water for the chemical to do its thing. Give it some time between the last time you use it and when you dump it so everything can desolve and empty properly.

There should be a little water standing in the toilet at all times, sorta like your home version. This water along with the seal/gasket helps keep fumes from coming out. Like I mentioned earlier, when done with business, fill the bowl with water and flush the whole mess down. Then fill with a little water and you are good to go. As for the water softener, that's a new one on me. Never heard that one before, not sure what its supposed to accomplish. Maybe someone else will know.

Now, with the matter of simplicity, when we travel a good distance, covering possibly 2,3, or 4 days on the road, I will fill the water tank full. The wife isn't to hip on rest area facilities, so when we stop she can use 'her own bathroom'. Plus being naturally lazy on my part, with the water tank full, its one less thing to do when pulling in for the night. Especially when leaving early the next morning. That way all I have to do is roll up the electric cord and I'm on my way.

So congrats on the new rig, and to many years of enjoyment. Don't fret to much, its not rocket science. And if you run into a problem or have questions don't hesitate to ask a fellow RV'er in the park. Most are willing to lend a hand, or answer questions.

Good idea, getting some experience before getting too far from home. Some actually do their first overnighter in the driveway. Easy to get things you forget this way.
Ok, drinking water, use only the potable hoses made for this and don?t use it for anything else. Keep a regular hose for flushing out the waste tanks etc.
I keep a small squirt bottle filled with a mixture of bleach & water to use on the fittings of the hose and spigot in the CG when I hook up.
It?s personal preference but I always fill my water tank at home, then work out of that when camping even if we have water available. When I get low I refill at the next CG. I also get in the habit of keeping the fresh tank full, it don?t weight enough for me to be concerned about it. Before you use the fresh water tank for the first time sanitize it and do this every year after bringing out from storage. Look in the library for info on this and many other useful things.
Always keep water in the toilet, seals out odors from below. After dumping always put some water back in both tanks to lubricate the seals.
Even when in a CG do not hook up your black tank to sewer. Leave it closed until it is app ? full, then dump and close the valve again. You need lots of water to flush out the solids from the black tank so never leave the valve open and hooked up. Flush the gray tank last as this will clean out your dump hose. Most never use any chemicals in either tank, no need for water softener. No special TP needed either, just get the kind approved for septic systems and you?ll be ok.
Take your time, practice everything and ask questions as they arise. Everyone here is glad to help. Welcome and have fun!

Wow, 2 posts while I was typing. You guys are quick!

Here's the really basic info I think you're looking for.  You only need to "fill" your fresh water tank if you are going to a CG without hookups.  When you are in a CG with hookups, you connect your fresh water hose to the CG facilities and turn on the spigot from the CG.  That's it.  You aren't filling anything.  You have an endless supply of water that comes through your sinks, toilet, shower, etc, from the water pressure provided by the CG.  What others here are saying is that we all have some amount of water in the fresh water tank when we leave home so that we can use water "on the road" for toilet and/or drinking water.  It is also advisable to add several bowls full of water to the blank tank via the toilet after every dump.  It helps control odors, helps the tank from drying out and keeps it ready to use.

Here's one other advice in MO.  When you arrive at the CG, don't immediately connect your hookups.  Try out as many features of your RV as possible using batteries, inverter, propane, etc.  Just to make sure everything works.  Then you can connect your hookups and try everything again.  This helps to ensure everything works with or w/o hookups.  Then it's miller time!  ;)

Everyone will have different opinions on what amount of water to carry, but the general practice is what the earlier replies stated. Carry some water and keep about 5 gals in the black tank.  I always carry a full fresh water because I fill with soften water from the house. You never know about CG water supplies and the pressure they supply at.  Using plenty of water in the black tank will keep the odor down, but you may have to dump more often.  I do add RID-X to the tank to help break down the contents, but then I have my own dump station at home and I think it helps keep the tank cleaner.  That, of course, is just my opinion.  Just go and enjoy and adjust to your own tastes and nee

Jemz, all of the replies here are well made and you are welcome to all. I have observed over the time on this site, that everyone has their own favorite method for everything. You will happily develope your own too.

As you progress with experience you will developed your own procedures and you will find that there are often various procedures that are successful by others. There have been many other posts on this site in the past that may be helpful to you also if  you check them. Take your time and enjoy.

We, on the other hand, prefer to leave home with a full tank of fresh water and empty waste tanks.  That way we're prepared for any eventuality, whether it's a change of direction and we end up boondocking or the campground water supply is caput (yep, it happens).  Never assume things are as you hope they will be and then you won't be disappointed if all is not as expected.

Yes, you add water to the black tank after dumping.  Your toilet bowl will fill when you flush., just like the one at home except not as full to prevent sloshing while driving.  A handheld sprayer helps make sure everything goes down the tube and prevents a buildup in the toilet bowl and helps make sure no toilet paper gets stuck along the edge where the toilet "cover" closes at the top of the tube.

Cannot imagine why anyone would add water softener to the black tank.  Softened water on the other hand is nice to prevent buildup of minerals but most of us do not have softened water in our RVs.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Cannot imagine why anyone would add water softener to the black tank.  Softened water on the other hand is nice to prevent buildup of minerals but most of us do not have softened water in our RVs.

Ardra - There is a reason why I and many others would add water softener to the black and grey tank. I have heard it will help keep the sensors working by not allowing things to build up on the tank walls. It might be an urban myth but it is a cheap one to implement. The GEO method uses water softener. If you want to read the theory then look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Tom S, it's interesting that you find it useful.  Still, I've never heard of doing it before and I guess some of the others haven't either.  Whatever works for you is what's important!  ::)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Tom S, it's interesting that you find it useful.  Still, I've never heard of doing it before and I guess some of the others haven't either.  Whatever works for you is what's important!  ::)
I have no clue if it really works, but it is cheap to use. A $4 bottle lasts for months. And my sensors do work in my new RV and I am hoping to keep it that way. ;D

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the input.  Yes, we are giving the Geo method a try. 

The softener trick is a popular one in RV mythology and many people swear by it. It was popularized by Charles Bruni, who uses it in his "Geo Method", but he didn't invent it.  Other than anecdotal reports, I have seen no evidence pro or con. As Tom S. says, it's cheap and shouldn't hurt.

I can't think of anything in a softener compound that would help clean the probes, though. Minerals in the water is not the issue - the culprit is sludge and bits of toilet paper.  A detergent or degreaser is more likely to be of value. Or an enzyme-rich additive that would naturally "eat' the sludge.

I was by  experienced RVer to put a cup of borax in the fresh water tank clean it once a year on your first trip.  If done, does the tank then have to be drained and refilled?  Anyone else do that?

Gary RV Roamer said:
I can't think of anything in a softener compound that would help clean the probes, though.
It does not clean the probes. What it does is makes the walls slicker so that TP doesn't stick to it as well. At least that is what I heard.

What it does is makes the walls slicker so that TP doesn't stick to it as well. At least that is what I heard.

Yeah, well, I don't get the science behind that. Water softener counteracts minerals in the water - read the Calgon ads. It reduces soap scum due to interactions with hard water, but do any of us have soap scum in our black tank? And is the water hard to begin with?  Yeah, soft water is "wetter" than hard water, but that's mainly a soap statement. If you are in an area with hard water and using soap in your black tank, then maybe a softener helps. Maybe...

Our first overnight was to a campground about a mile down the road.  We ended up having to make two runs back to the house to get stuff that we either forgot or didn't know we needed.

As most have covered the when/where/how of the fresh water system, I will add that after I empty my black and grey tanks, I add a cap full of laundry detergent and 3-5 gallons of water.  I have found this to keep the tanks extremely clean.  In fact, I can open the flush valve on the toilet and not get any foul odors into the bathroom, even with the fan on.

No matter how much we tell you on this forum, you will have an infinite amount to learn about RV camping.  I've been doing it for three years and am still finding many tricks that make the experience more streamlined and enjoyable.

Good luck and happy travels!

I'm wondering if dish washer liquid or the new powder capsule would really keep the tanks cleaned.  that stuff appears to be awesome.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I'm wondering if dish washer liquid or the new powder capsule would really keep the tanks cleaned.  that stuff appears to be awesome.

Why bother??

Many of us empty the black tank and either flush a full toilet bowl of water a couple of times or use the tank flushing system for a few minutes.  Close the black tank valve and one or 2 flushes of a full bowl of water and the black tank is good.

Then we open the grey tank valve till it is empty and close the valve, disconnect the hose, drain it well and put it away.

We have been doing this since 1994 on 2 different MHs and have never had a problem since doing things this way.  No soap, bleach, odor chemicals, NOTHING but the bad stuff and water in the tanks.  To be honest I have added Rid-X when we were storing the MH with the tanks partially full but that has only happened 2X since 1994,

Back
Top Bottom