EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where on the Route are the Dick's?  (Read 29265 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Where on the Route are the Dick's?
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
Looking forward to the arrival of Jim and Pat Dick, wondering how the tri is going, assuming very smoothly.  Oh the questions!  What route?  northern?  90?  80?  Have the fuel price decreases helped along the way?  Getting any great photos along the way? 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Godward

• ---
Re: Where on the Route are the Dick's?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
Bill,

I think they leave tomorrow IF I remember correctly.  Maybe Jim will come by and tells us for sure.   :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
OK, thought he mentioned earlier he was on the way.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Bill,

I meant to call you today, even mentioned it to Pat, but things came up. :) We are still at our Daughter's. We leave Monday morning since she planned a party for Cody on Sunday. I expect we will be coming in on I80 but will have to drop down before Ohio to miss the tolls and stay away from the big cities. Not sure yet just which route we'll take but we will get back up to I80 at the west end of IL.

Only pictures have been of the graduation and a few from an antique truck show and the Mack factory in PA. Cody now has my original Digital Rebel and two lenses. He seems happy with it.

Trip has been pretty smooth with only a broken stack vent cover from a branch at Jim's and a split drain plug on the water heater at Chet's. Both minor and inexpensive fixes. Coach has been running well and I hope it continues.

Pat continues to do well. Seems all healed now. Lots of visiting of friends and family. Just got back from dinner with Pat's cousin and his wife. They are the hikers/bikers that have over 100,000 miles on their tandem. They've also hiked just about all the trails in this country and Europe. Lots of interesting tales!

Attached is a photo of Cody with the proud Grandparents.  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:28:06 PM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Great photo Jim. We're so glad that Pat is making progress, and that you were both able to attend the graduation of your grandson.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
Tom,

Thanks, Pat recovered remarkably fast and is back to good health. We're really thankful it did not happen in Yellowstone or on the way. The outcome certainly would have been far different.

It's hard to believe Cody is that old. I still remember when he was about 2y.o. and would come running to me every time Shari brought him to the house. He apparently gets his height from my side of the family but it certainly missed my generation!!

Now for the rest of the adventure. It's still hard to believe we won't be back to Florida for 18 months!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Latest update on our travels: We experienced a warm refer on Saturday. Monday I took it to the dealership where I used to work. A few hard raps with a 2 lb hammer seemed to free up a blockage. Fast forward to Tuesday. No cooler than the day before. Took it back on our way out of town for further analysis. After some diagnostic work they thought it had gone into a check mode which means it would stay at a previous state but one never knows what that might be. After resetting all codes it appeared it might start to work.

Left CT around 1:30pm. Since it was so late we called Chet & Laurie to request a night at their place. Pulled in and checked the temp. No better than five hours before. We're hoping it will resolve itself but really doubt it. This cooling unit was new last May. When the tech called Norcold to see if they would replace it, they said no, it's out of warranty. Norcold has seen the last penny they ever will from me. If the unit does not start performing correctly in the morning we will be going through Decatur, IN so a stop at the service center will be required. It will be replaced with something other than Norcold. Hopefully, a household unit that will fit in the available slot. If not, a Dometic though they have their problems as well.  >:(

BTW, this is exactly how our trip last year started! First an operation for me and then the replacement of the cooling unit. Something tells me someone does not want us returning to that paradise called Yellowstone!!!! :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:36:10 PM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
Dick:  Best get it going in the right direction.  I'm counting on you.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »
Jim,

You could always try the Amish cooling unit for the Norcold.

http://www.ajmadison.com/refrigeration/
I found this site very helpful in looking for a residence type refrigerator. I am not recommending these folks, but their website is one of the best for research. It let you put in your maximum dimensions. BTW on the depth measure your cabinet depth, then subtract 1 inch for back air flow and add 4 inches for the thickness of the door and gasket as an estimate. When you look at a refrigerators dimensions for the depth look at the case depth allowing an inch at the back for airflow.

I was mostly limited do to height restriction because my unit is in the slide and Sheila did not want to lose the drawer underneath.

The other thing to watch is the estimated energy use.

If I can help in your search let me know.

good luck,

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:13 AM »
Ron,

We're trying!!!

Ken,

Thanks, I've looked at that site before. Lots of good info. When I was at the dealership I mentioned the Amish unit. Marc took me out back and showed me one they had just replaced due to a fire. Guess they're really not much better than Norcold.

We're going to give Kevin Mallory a call today and see what he might know. He does the replacement of the American Coach Source Managers. It's possible he may have also installed residential units in the coaches. Never thought to ask last year when we were there.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »
Jim and Pat are sitting in our guest RV site right now and will probably be leaving to start west on US 80 in about and hour.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
Nancy just talked to Pat. They are on the road and planning a stop at Kevin Mallory's shop in Celina, OH, to get a residential fridge installed.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
We are currently at the Mercer, OH KOA. Will arrive at Kevin's tomorrow. He is expecting us and will expedite the refer change for us. For those of you who don't know him, he's really a very accommodating and knowledgeable guy. He owns Cruising America RV Service Co. Last year he changed out our Source Manager to a new pure sine wave inverter/converter/charger along with a new transfer switch.

We have spent more money on inferior Norcold refers. They will never get another dime from us!! They really should change their name to No Cold.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Jim

Glad to see you are on the right course now..... My Dometics were no better.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:52:28 PM by Terry A. Brewer »

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
Terry,

The problem I have is finding one that won't extend too far into the aisle. Most are too deep for the space I have since it is directly across the aisle from the washer/dryer. Will have to see what Kevin has in mind tomorrow.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Jim,

Friends of ours had the same issue in their Beaver.
They put in this refrigerator: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF197AC.html
The case is only 24 3/8 deep. The width is perfect ay 32.25. It is taller than the Norcold, but they removed the storage space underneath and it fit.

ken

Ken & Sheila

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Jim and Pat

Happy anniversary to you lovebirds!!!!!!  Hope to celebrate with you some year.  Doesn't everyone want a new refrigeraor for their anniversary!!  Actually I was thrilled to get the residential frig, like Terry we would never go back.

Sheila June
Ken & Sheila

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
Ken:

The specs on that Samsung frig shows 15amps @ 120 volts?

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Jeff,

That's true, all refrigerators require a sole purpose 15AMP circuit (ie dedicated) by code. It has nothing to do with the actual current draw. The energy label on this frig show 445 kWh annually. Not the best, but pretty good. In general the side by side and french door models use more energy than the "standard" freezer on the top models. I think the rating on ours was around 390 kWh. Our normal running current draw is .8 AMP.

ken

Ken & Sheila

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Sheila June,

Thanks, Pat asked me this morning if I was going to buy her a new refrigerator for our anniversary. ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:51 AM »
Terry,

The problem I have is finding one that won't extend too far into the aisle. Most are too deep for the space I have since it is directly across the aisle from the washer/dryer. Will have to see what Kevin has in mind tomorrow.

Jim

Mine is exactly like that.... Look at the picture in my last message, the Pheasant is sitting on top of our washer.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »
Terry,

Yes but it appears you still have more room to get through than we do.  :) There is 27" from the door of the refer to the door on the washer/dryer. If we get a replacement that protrudes another  5" it will make it too tight. I'd never get the washer/dryer out if needed.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
Thanks, Pat asked me this morning if I was going to buy her a new refrigerator for our anniversary.
Jim

It will go nice with the washer dryer you got her for (Birthday?) last Fall.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
Maybe next year scale back and just get her an iron or a cheese grater or something.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Where space is at a premium you probably want/need a cabinet (counter) depth fridge with french doors or side-by-side doors, which unfortunately are typically more expensive than standard depth. French doors helps because the doors are narrower, reducing the swing clearance. Cabinet depth fridges are typically 24-29" deep (including handles) with the  doors closed and about 43-45" with french doors at 90 degrees open.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:17:29 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »
Gary,

I have been looking at those. They still appear to protrude to much. Will have to see what Kevin thinks.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
Google mapped your approximate route, just about 1700 miles and 29 hours.  I would suggest breaking it up a bit though, I think that is too much all at once.

::)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Terry,

Yes but it appears you still have more room to get through than we do.  :) There is 27" from the door of the refer to the door on the washer/dryer. If we get a replacement that protrudes another  5" it will make it too tight. I'd never get the washer/dryer out if needed.

Jim

Mine has 31 1/2"  from the refrig door to the washer/dryer door.... I think a counter depth model would fit depth wise in your current space but would be 2-3 times more expensive.

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Ken & Jim, we bought that Samsung last August; and, after a year we still love it. The Samsung induction range/oven that came at the same time, [since we didn't want to $$$$ remodel for gas,] is the best elec powered we've seen: faster, no heat on the top, 'cept in the pan. If my older Norcold. which has never had a recall gets problematic, I'm glad there's a site and places that can do a replacement. 
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
Bill,

My calculation was close....about one day and 3 hours. ;D ;D I will definitely break it up somewhat.

Bob,

I was thinking about a Samsung but a forum member had one in their house and it failed rather quickly. Once the new refer is in place I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find someone to service it.  :( I'm hoping we will get some good suggestions tomorrow.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Hosted by Over The Network