EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where on the Route are the Dick's?  (Read 29323 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Where on the Route are the Dick's?
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
Looking forward to the arrival of Jim and Pat Dick, wondering how the tri is going, assuming very smoothly.  Oh the questions!  What route?  northern?  90?  80?  Have the fuel price decreases helped along the way?  Getting any great photos along the way? 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Godward

• ---
Re: Where on the Route are the Dick's?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
Bill,

I think they leave tomorrow IF I remember correctly.  Maybe Jim will come by and tells us for sure.   :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
OK, thought he mentioned earlier he was on the way.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Bill,

I meant to call you today, even mentioned it to Pat, but things came up. :) We are still at our Daughter's. We leave Monday morning since she planned a party for Cody on Sunday. I expect we will be coming in on I80 but will have to drop down before Ohio to miss the tolls and stay away from the big cities. Not sure yet just which route we'll take but we will get back up to I80 at the west end of IL.

Only pictures have been of the graduation and a few from an antique truck show and the Mack factory in PA. Cody now has my original Digital Rebel and two lenses. He seems happy with it.

Trip has been pretty smooth with only a broken stack vent cover from a branch at Jim's and a split drain plug on the water heater at Chet's. Both minor and inexpensive fixes. Coach has been running well and I hope it continues.

Pat continues to do well. Seems all healed now. Lots of visiting of friends and family. Just got back from dinner with Pat's cousin and his wife. They are the hikers/bikers that have over 100,000 miles on their tandem. They've also hiked just about all the trails in this country and Europe. Lots of interesting tales!

Attached is a photo of Cody with the proud Grandparents.  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:28:06 PM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Great photo Jim. We're so glad that Pat is making progress, and that you were both able to attend the graduation of your grandson.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
Tom,

Thanks, Pat recovered remarkably fast and is back to good health. We're really thankful it did not happen in Yellowstone or on the way. The outcome certainly would have been far different.

It's hard to believe Cody is that old. I still remember when he was about 2y.o. and would come running to me every time Shari brought him to the house. He apparently gets his height from my side of the family but it certainly missed my generation!!

Now for the rest of the adventure. It's still hard to believe we won't be back to Florida for 18 months!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Latest update on our travels: We experienced a warm refer on Saturday. Monday I took it to the dealership where I used to work. A few hard raps with a 2 lb hammer seemed to free up a blockage. Fast forward to Tuesday. No cooler than the day before. Took it back on our way out of town for further analysis. After some diagnostic work they thought it had gone into a check mode which means it would stay at a previous state but one never knows what that might be. After resetting all codes it appeared it might start to work.

Left CT around 1:30pm. Since it was so late we called Chet & Laurie to request a night at their place. Pulled in and checked the temp. No better than five hours before. We're hoping it will resolve itself but really doubt it. This cooling unit was new last May. When the tech called Norcold to see if they would replace it, they said no, it's out of warranty. Norcold has seen the last penny they ever will from me. If the unit does not start performing correctly in the morning we will be going through Decatur, IN so a stop at the service center will be required. It will be replaced with something other than Norcold. Hopefully, a household unit that will fit in the available slot. If not, a Dometic though they have their problems as well.  >:(

BTW, this is exactly how our trip last year started! First an operation for me and then the replacement of the cooling unit. Something tells me someone does not want us returning to that paradise called Yellowstone!!!! :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:36:10 PM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
Dick:  Best get it going in the right direction.  I'm counting on you.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »
Jim,

You could always try the Amish cooling unit for the Norcold.

http://www.ajmadison.com/refrigeration/
I found this site very helpful in looking for a residence type refrigerator. I am not recommending these folks, but their website is one of the best for research. It let you put in your maximum dimensions. BTW on the depth measure your cabinet depth, then subtract 1 inch for back air flow and add 4 inches for the thickness of the door and gasket as an estimate. When you look at a refrigerators dimensions for the depth look at the case depth allowing an inch at the back for airflow.

I was mostly limited do to height restriction because my unit is in the slide and Sheila did not want to lose the drawer underneath.

The other thing to watch is the estimated energy use.

If I can help in your search let me know.

good luck,

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:13 AM »
Ron,

We're trying!!!

Ken,

Thanks, I've looked at that site before. Lots of good info. When I was at the dealership I mentioned the Amish unit. Marc took me out back and showed me one they had just replaced due to a fire. Guess they're really not much better than Norcold.

We're going to give Kevin Mallory a call today and see what he might know. He does the replacement of the American Coach Source Managers. It's possible he may have also installed residential units in the coaches. Never thought to ask last year when we were there.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »
Jim and Pat are sitting in our guest RV site right now and will probably be leaving to start west on US 80 in about and hour.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
Nancy just talked to Pat. They are on the road and planning a stop at Kevin Mallory's shop in Celina, OH, to get a residential fridge installed.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
We are currently at the Mercer, OH KOA. Will arrive at Kevin's tomorrow. He is expecting us and will expedite the refer change for us. For those of you who don't know him, he's really a very accommodating and knowledgeable guy. He owns Cruising America RV Service Co. Last year he changed out our Source Manager to a new pure sine wave inverter/converter/charger along with a new transfer switch.

We have spent more money on inferior Norcold refers. They will never get another dime from us!! They really should change their name to No Cold.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Jim

Glad to see you are on the right course now..... My Dometics were no better.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:52:28 PM by Terry A. Brewer »

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
Terry,

The problem I have is finding one that won't extend too far into the aisle. Most are too deep for the space I have since it is directly across the aisle from the washer/dryer. Will have to see what Kevin has in mind tomorrow.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Jim,

Friends of ours had the same issue in their Beaver.
They put in this refrigerator: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF197AC.html
The case is only 24 3/8 deep. The width is perfect ay 32.25. It is taller than the Norcold, but they removed the storage space underneath and it fit.

ken

Ken & Sheila

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Jim and Pat

Happy anniversary to you lovebirds!!!!!!  Hope to celebrate with you some year.  Doesn't everyone want a new refrigeraor for their anniversary!!  Actually I was thrilled to get the residential frig, like Terry we would never go back.

Sheila June
Ken & Sheila

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
Ken:

The specs on that Samsung frig shows 15amps @ 120 volts?

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Jeff,

That's true, all refrigerators require a sole purpose 15AMP circuit (ie dedicated) by code. It has nothing to do with the actual current draw. The energy label on this frig show 445 kWh annually. Not the best, but pretty good. In general the side by side and french door models use more energy than the "standard" freezer on the top models. I think the rating on ours was around 390 kWh. Our normal running current draw is .8 AMP.

ken

Ken & Sheila

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Sheila June,

Thanks, Pat asked me this morning if I was going to buy her a new refrigerator for our anniversary. ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:51 AM »
Terry,

The problem I have is finding one that won't extend too far into the aisle. Most are too deep for the space I have since it is directly across the aisle from the washer/dryer. Will have to see what Kevin has in mind tomorrow.

Jim

Mine is exactly like that.... Look at the picture in my last message, the Pheasant is sitting on top of our washer.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »
Terry,

Yes but it appears you still have more room to get through than we do.  :) There is 27" from the door of the refer to the door on the washer/dryer. If we get a replacement that protrudes another  5" it will make it too tight. I'd never get the washer/dryer out if needed.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
Thanks, Pat asked me this morning if I was going to buy her a new refrigerator for our anniversary.
Jim

It will go nice with the washer dryer you got her for (Birthday?) last Fall.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
Maybe next year scale back and just get her an iron or a cheese grater or something.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Where space is at a premium you probably want/need a cabinet (counter) depth fridge with french doors or side-by-side doors, which unfortunately are typically more expensive than standard depth. French doors helps because the doors are narrower, reducing the swing clearance. Cabinet depth fridges are typically 24-29" deep (including handles) with the  doors closed and about 43-45" with french doors at 90 degrees open.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:17:29 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »
Gary,

I have been looking at those. They still appear to protrude to much. Will have to see what Kevin thinks.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
Google mapped your approximate route, just about 1700 miles and 29 hours.  I would suggest breaking it up a bit though, I think that is too much all at once.

::)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Terry,

Yes but it appears you still have more room to get through than we do.  :) There is 27" from the door of the refer to the door on the washer/dryer. If we get a replacement that protrudes another  5" it will make it too tight. I'd never get the washer/dryer out if needed.

Jim

Mine has 31 1/2"  from the refrig door to the washer/dryer door.... I think a counter depth model would fit depth wise in your current space but would be 2-3 times more expensive.

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Ken & Jim, we bought that Samsung last August; and, after a year we still love it. The Samsung induction range/oven that came at the same time, [since we didn't want to $$$$ remodel for gas,] is the best elec powered we've seen: faster, no heat on the top, 'cept in the pan. If my older Norcold. which has never had a recall gets problematic, I'm glad there's a site and places that can do a replacement. 
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
Bill,

My calculation was close....about one day and 3 hours. ;D ;D I will definitely break it up somewhat.

Bob,

I was thinking about a Samsung but a forum member had one in their house and it failed rather quickly. Once the new refer is in place I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find someone to service it.  :( I'm hoping we will get some good suggestions tomorrow.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
Jim,

We have residential type washer and dryer. The washer is a Whirlpool made in Italy (works more like a dishwasher with an internal water heating function). When the washer stopped working I was really concerned about service, but I contacted the local Whirlpool service outfit. They sent a tech out who had no issues with working on the the unit in the motorhome. He did have to remove from the cabinet to replace the control board but he seemed fine with everything. He made two trips (had to order the board) and the total service labor cost was about $100 including travel time. If this had been "RV" service it would have been at least double!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:30:45 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »
Ken,

Yep, that "RV" in front of anything adds greatly to the cost!! We checked Lowes yesterday and found 3 units that should fit. There's also Menards here in OH which is similar to Lowes and Home Depot. Will probably check there today. Will meet with Kevin this morning and go over the possibilities available.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Good news!!! The new refer is in place and cooling down. It was quite a struggle for the technician. He had to make several modifications to the opening but finally got it installed. Only some trim work to complete and final blocking under the front and we should be set to roll down the road. Once this is over I think I'm going to need a vacation!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Attached is a photo of the final project.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
Looks good Jim.  When will you be arriving in Yellowstone?  We will arrive at Flagg Ranch at the south entrance on the 6th July. Currently south of Pocatello, ID just off I-15. Hope to finally get to meet you and Bill.  Glen
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
That new unit sure looks good Jim! and that large freezer drawer looks like it will hold a lot of stuff.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »
Glen,

We probably won't get out of here before 6 July. Hope you will be in the area for some time. It will probably take 3 to 4 days to make the trip to Yellowstone.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
Tom,

That freezer will hold much more than we will ever need but they don't make them any smaller. ;D So far we are really pleased with the installation and I can't say enough about Kevin Mallory and Cruising America RV Service. They have gone above and beyond to get our problem resolved as quickly as possible.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Jim, do you have a link to Kevin's web site?

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
Jim,  We will be leaving on the 10th to see son in Omaha and then on to VA for a family reunion. I wish we could spend more time here but I really overscheduled way too much in too little time so I will have to make this trip again someday. If I don't catch you in Yellowstone, I hope to see you back in Florida.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Tom,

Kevin's website is listed as www.cruisingamericarv.com but doesn't come up with an actual site. It does provide a link to his info. I would suggest calling him since I mentioned I had written to you and he seemed interested. I hope he does advertise as I think he is one of the service providers that really cares about his customers.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Gary,

We have every intention on being there before the 10th so I hope we can at least get to say hi in person. If not, we will have to arrange a meeting in FL once we return in 2013!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
Well, it appears that someone does not want us to make it to Yellowstone! After leaving Cruising America RV Service in Celina, OH on Wednesday afternoon, we continued on our voyage. Everything was going fine until we passed Lincoln, NE. We were traveling around 60mph on I80 when suddenly the coach slowed to around 50mph. Not long after it dropped to 40mph and started to buck at times. I knew we needed to pull over, hoping it was just the high temps which caused both the engine and transmission to increase over their normal operating range.

Finally, after idling for a few minutes to see if the temps would come down, the engine quit. Could not be restarted. Called CoachNet who located a tow vehicle to take us back to the Lincoln Freightliner facility. Luckily, we were just coming upon a truck parking area which made the tow hookup much safer for the tow company. We could not run the genset since we were in the building and all of their 20amp circuits were on GFI circuits. Finally found one in the service office that we could hook up the refer. I'm sure it would have run on the inverter overnight but then there was no way to charge the batteries.

They diagnosed a faulty fuel pump and a crack in the exhaust manifold. Can't get the pump until Monday. I also need a new muffler as the output end was rusted and the pipe came off. What a mess it makes on the front of the toad!

So here we sit in a motel room waiting for parts and repair. We called Bill to let him know and he was very understanding. I just hope we can get on the road in 3 or 4 days!

This is the second time we've had problems heading to Yellowstone. I just hope it's the last on this trip!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:23:49 AM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »
Ouch, here's hoping you get on the road quickly next week.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
Bummer! Sorry to hear that Jim. Anything to be done about the cracked exhaust manifold?

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
Jim,

You really have no luck at all on this trip do you?  Let's hope the Motel  is airconditioned!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
Jim, tomorrow or Monday, take a whole day and drive back to the Henry Doorly Zoo, www.omahazoo.com. It is amazing and it will be a long but rewarding day. It will take your mind off the clock in a very enjoyable way.
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
OOOH!  Sorry to hear of the new problems.  Hope the repairs are done soon and you can be on you way.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
Jim, tomorrow or Monday, take a whole day and drive back to the Henry Doorly Zoo, www.omahazoo.com. It is amazing and it will be a long but rewarding day.

Jim,
I agree with Bob.  If you can  visit this zoo, it will not disappoint.  On the other hand it is not Yellowstone!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any, would ya?  Tell Bill you need a raise to cover the travel expenses!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
Sorry to hear of yet another problem.  Hope you get back on the road soon.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that the bad luck lightning got you again.

The next time we're together,  remind me to wear my tinfoil hat for protection (see the thread on ethanol in gas).

Hope this gets fixed soon and the rest of the trip is smooth and easy!

Don and MA
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »
Jim,

You really have no luck at all on this trip do you?  Let's hope the Motel  is airconditioned!

Betty

Betty,

This is two years in a row!!! I agree, bad luck sure does seem to be the order of the day.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Bob,

I saw the billboard for the zoo on the way through Omaha. May have to do that.

Jim, they'll probably start the repairs Monday when they get the fuel pump. Not sure what they will do with the exhaust manifold leak but it didn't seem to be a major problem. May or may not get the muffler done. I can do that in Yellowstone but it sure will make the toad look ugly!

Gary, stick with me. I will have the bad luck and you will be golden. ;D

Don, I'll be looking forward to seeing the tin hat.  ;D ;D

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Jim,
You got to stop this, your making me cry! I can feel the pain ($$).

Hope this is the last of the "luck" for sure!

ken

Ken & Sheila

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about the new problem. What a pain. Is Yellowstone a jinx? Maybe you should try some place different next year? How about wintering in Death Valley?

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
Jim,

I second the zoo in Omaha, it is top notch. I hope to get up to Old Faithful Monday. Went up to grassy Lake today.  Hope all this lasts for awhile now. Glen
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
One more for the Zoo, guys!  It's really extraordinary.

So sorry you had to suffer ($$$) another delay.  Hang in there!  Yellowstone will be your reward ... again.  ;D

Margi

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »
Ken,

We're trying! The pain does hurt but it still is a rewarding experience.

Wendy,

It might be but what a beautiful jinx. Maybe the Everglades!

Glen,

I hope we don't miss meeting you but it will be close. :-(

Margi,

As we always say, another fulltimng adventure! :-)

I guess we'll  have to check into the zoo. Not really keen on going back to Omaha with all the traffic. :-)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »
Sunday is less traffic on 80. . .
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
Bob,

My thoughts exactly.  :) We're getting ready to leave now. Just finished breakfast at the motel. The Manager has to be the friendliest one I've ever met. We told him many of our adventures and mis-adventures and he couldn't stop laughing.  ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
OK OK,  Did you guys remember I had to replace MY fuel pump upon leaving Ystone last Fall?  One of the other workcamper couples needed new fuel pump on the way here this year.,  something about fuel pumps I guess.  My Westy, trying to return to Ystone from Jackson last weekend ended up needing just the fuel filter, but I knew it was something in the fuel delivery issue.

However, remember this, in bad luck, there can be good luck.  God luck you were right by a place to be safe, at home with Pat's appendix, near the Ohio guy for fridge.  Could have been so much worse. 

Oh, and we gave them both raises, max I was allowed. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
Bill,

Your fuel pump was exactly what I was thinking about when they told me mine was bad. :D I also thought about you when Dave was hooking up the tow truck!

Hoping they will get the parts today and start working on it. Will have to make a decision on the muffler once we find out how long it will take to have it shipped. Hopefully they can get it overnight. A sign says they will pay the first $100 of expedited shipping. Not sure it applies to RVs.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
Is it your lift pump or the injection pump? Injection pump is BIG $$$$!    Lift pump is bad enough, but cheap in comparison.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Gary,

I believe it's the lift pump. Injector controller went a couple of years ago. Happened on US 1 during morning rush hour at a busy intersection. We had just left our sons house. Yes, it was big bucks!! :(
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
Bill,

I forgot to mention that I agree with you. It could have been much worse. Dave was VERY happy that we were in the parking area and not alongside I80! We have been very fortunate with everything that has happened to us on the road as they all could have been much worse.

Just got back from breakfast here at the motel. It's not much but decent. Spent over an hour talking with the manager and his night person. The night guy is a bird photographer. Has some really nice photos and knows about all the birds that flock to this area. I think they get more than we do in Florida! He uses a Sigma 150-500 lens.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Remember the Johnny Cash song, One Piece at a Time.  I think we may need to play that as we leave for a drve instead of On the Road Again.

May have to get the lyrics and rework them a bit.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Here is the latest in our saga. Yesterday they tried to remove the cracked exhaust manifold. None of the bolts would budge. After a night of soaking in penetrating oil, the first one came loose. The rest never did. The head had to be removed but they were able to dislodge the broken bolts. At least that saved us another $2000!! They will test the Charge Air Cooler as that is usually the primary cause of a cracked manifold. Don't know what one will cost. I told the service writers that I might have to call the finance company and have them take it back since I wouldn't be able to afford it!!! :)

Now they have to reassemble the parts and finish up on the rest of the repairs/maintenance items. Still hoping to be released sometime this week but I can't seem to guess correctly.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Jim:

You are making me feel bad as I am the one on the road with a new-to-us m/h that I envisioned laying down all the way from PHX to the Maritimes.

Hope this is the last of the glitches.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
Jim,

We spent 3+ days at Cummins in El Cajon, CA while they worked to get the bolts free on the Exhaust Manifold on Imperial (rusted bolts was a result of living in Vermont and traveling in the winter!). They really didn't want to break off the bolts! Our problem was not a crack, but a bad gasket. The MH was just outside the shop, but under a canopy attached to the building. At night we were locked into the compound. They finally got the bolts off and replaced the exhaust manifold. Fortunately this was under warranty. Later, unrelated,  at another Cummins shop they found a crack in the CAC, but they were able to repair it with epoxy. Good thing because the CAC was not a Cummins part and therefore not under warranty.

I hope if the CAC is bad that it can be repaired rather than replaced.

ken
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:05:19 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.

Not sure when you might be in Lincoln but we might be here another two days. Sure hope we can head west by then. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet somewhere along the way!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
Jeff,

I'm sure you will be fine with your new coach and expect you will make the Maritimes safely.  :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Ken,

We seem to break down on a Friday so we do spend more time in a repair facility than most. I was not able to talk with the tech today about the CAC but will see him tomorrow morning, I hope. I have no idea if they can repair it or not. I did hope they could repair the exhaust manifold but it was totally cracked into two pieces.

I have a feeling that they may be installing the head tonight as another tech was cleaning up the area for the gasket when we checked just before dinner. This facility works 24/7 so they do put others on a job when necessary. I only hope we can be on the road again very soon. Thankfully the tech this morning saved us $2,000 by removing the broken bolts from the head!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Jim, I have your number so I will give you a call after we get on the road. We might be able to make something happen.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
Jim, I have your number so I will give you a call after we get on the road. We might be able to make something happen.

OK. We will be here at least another day. They are putting the head back on this morning but still have other items to address. I think bolting everything back up on the engine will take most of today.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
Another day after today or today being the other day.  I would guess they want to get you by Fri eve at the latest.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Must be catching. Now we are broken down as well. Tranny shift pad is out, so can't do anything. Waiting for a tow.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
Dang, just what you needed, eh Gary ?

At this rate Coachnet will be filing chapter 7 soon. Heaven forbid.

Too many electronic gadgets now-a days. 

A curmudgeon speaking.  Hope all works out ok, eventually.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Must be that cyber attack they warned about  ???

Folks, don't start your engines for the next 72 hours, to be sure the threat has passed.

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for all of you as planned. Hoping you're both taken care of soon and that you have safe and carefree travels.

-Roni

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
Jim, Gary and GW,

You all are starting to scare me about hitting the road next month.

Hope things start going better for all of you.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
Don't panic Jim, we are using up all the bad Karma.

Glen
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
Don't panic Jim, we are using up all the bad Karma.

Glen

Glen,

Glad to hear you are on the road. Great talking with you today. Why not call the Lincoln Truck Center in Lincoln, NE and see if they will get the part for you. Then you could have the work done when passing through.

They have the head replaced and I'm hoping they will get to the rest of the repairs tomorrow. Hoping to be out of here soon!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
Gary,

As I mentioned on FB, there's something foul afoot and we all seem to be catching it. Hope it will be over soon!!!! Good luck on your repairs.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
 Jim, I hope you get outa there.....I am going to wait as I understand that it will not hurt it to drive it so I will wait till I get back to Miami. I have an LP Gas leak in a line that goes to the other side of the coach. I hit a tire carcas in traffic that flew up and hit the line. I need that fixed before I leave the coach to be repaired for anything else so my fridge will work. What a mess......
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.

gwcowgill:

We spent a day in Gallup because of our air dryer giving up the ghost on our first day on the road. (Would build about 65 pounds of pressure) After the mechs CoachNet sent out  bypassed the dryer we were on the road and I picked up a replacement kit for the turbo valve on the dryer at Freightliner OKC ($20.00). When I pulled the old turbo valve all that was wrong was an o-ring had split. I now carry a dollar's worth of replacements (2) to last me the rest of my life. Instructions on pulling the valve is on the Haldex website and it takes about 30 minutes.

Unfortunately the mechanics left the air line coming from the compressor laying up against the u-joint housing and wore a hole in the line. Replacing that in Illinois cost $200.

Incidentally with the air dryer bypassed I was draining more water from the system after four hours of driving than I saw in 115k miles on our last coach. Make sure you drain all three tanks very regularly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:44:42 PM by Jeff »

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I may give it a look when I get home but mine is still under warranty so I probably will let Freightliner in Miami do it. I am sure it is something simple. I am getting 115lbs with the dryer bypassed and my suspension feels better. The valve was replaced in San Antonio a couple weeks ago.

Glen
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »
With the dryer bypassed be sure to drain the water from your air tanks periodically.  That's not something most people need to do with a functioning air dryer.
2007 GMC Canyon

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
Ned, I remember the good old days when everything was simple and you just drained the air tanks.,No electronically controlled injectors, no cat convertors, noreadouts, just add fuel and go. I layed out in the snow and thawed out a few truck air lines in the late 50's,especiallyu trucks from Florida. Biggest thing in the old days was filters.......I will drain the tanks.....famous last words.......
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
Glen,

Well, others have expressed what I thought about your message.  :) With the humidity so high I'm sure you will need to drain the water from the tanks fairly often. Hoping you will make it back to Florida without further problems.

We will have to see tomorrow where they are on the repairs. Hoping for an early release this weekend but not betting the farm on it.

Sorry we missed again in connecting. We WILL make it for the winter of 2013!!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2012, 06:33:21 AM »
Jim,  we will get together, when, will have to wait. Will keep the tanks drained.... fortunately, no freezing weather to contend with.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Today they repaired all the problems except two. One is an air leak which drains the system over a few days. Can live with that for awhile.

The second is the right front shock is leaking. It has caused the front tire to wear in an odd way. The shocks are Bilstein and they won't be available until sometime in August!!! They can't seem to find the Koni replacement anywhere so we will have to continue on with the bad one. I'm sure it will destroy the tire but we have no choice at this point. It doesn't affect the ride much though I feel a very slight shimmy in the steering wheel. We'll order shocks once we get to Yellowstone and hope we can get someone to replace them.

Sometime early tomorrow we will continue our journey. We have about 900 miles to go so we may not arrive until Monday morning. Won't know until we finish up tomorrow.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
Glen,

Yes, we'll make it happen somehow, sometime.  :) Hope the remaining trip is a good one for you.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
Jim,

Bummer but I would do the same.  There is a good shop here I use, not FL although they are good but cost more, and I will see them on Monday as I have a couple of things that need to be done before we leave for Portland.  I will ask to see if there is a recommended shop in West or at least closer than us.  If not we have several shops here including FL.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
Bozeman Ford.  Not sure if they will work on yours or not, but they have a good local rep. 

900 mile, 900 mile,
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
Glad to hear they got you rolling again . We made it to Bellevue today. Got a guy coming out Tuesday to fix my LPG leak that we got when we hit a tire alligator in the road in Utah. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be uneventful with us and you.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
Jim,

It doesn't have to be FL. I actually have a Spartan chassis but this shop works on all makes.

Bill,

Wondering if our own Yellowstone garage can handle a simple shock change though they are a little bit larger.  :)

Glen,

Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful. We'll have to discuss life on the road when we get together.  ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
I'll check with them.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Jim,

It doesn't have to be FL. I actually have a Spartan chassis but this shop works on all makes.

The shop I go does all makes and provides towing too.  It would be a long drive so if something is closer, it would be better for you.  The closest I could find in the wide area phone book we have is one in Gardner.  There are several in Idaho Falls that I found with a Google search.

Best wishes for a safe and trouble free drive to YP.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »
Hope you can make it this time. If I figure correctly, your average trip, between breakdowns this year is about 1200 miles. Since you only have 900 to go, you should make it OK with about a 25% safety factor--at least.

Replacing the shock is easy. Just two bolts, but you do have to jack up the coach and remove the wheel first.

Hope today and tomorrow are totally uneventful.
Chet18013

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »
Jim, I don't believe a RV'er could ever run out of stories of life on the road. I have memories going back many years since my first RV.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for checking. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to fix the problem once we get to Yellowstone.

Chet,

Sounds like we have a good chance of making it. :-)

Glenn,

We've been telling the motel manager and the night clerk about many of our adventures and misadventures. We still have more we could tell them. :-)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Jim,
Check to see if Sachs makes shocks for your front end suspension.  They might be available sooner than Bilstein or Koni.   My chassis has Sachs shocks (but it's a ZF suspension and Sachs is part of ZF).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
We had a very successful day today despite a late start due to Lincoln Truck's computers crashing last night.

We left at 10:35 CT and arrived in Laramie, WY at 6:45 MT. The trip was 498 miles. Now we only have about 417 miles to go so we should arrive at Yellowstone sometime tomorrow afternoon. The coach ran well and the bad shock did not seem to affect the steering or ride. Perhaps the ride felt the same because the shock probably has been bad for some time.  :)

The bill certainly would choke a horse but there's nothing to be done but pay it. The shop was excellent in providing things for us such as power and added maintenance items. They even let me back it out of the bay which I think is unusual for a business due to liability issues.

The motel, America's Best Value Inn, was also very accommodating. We had a great time talking with the day and night managers at breakfast in the morning. It wasn't fancy but there were waffles, cereal, milk, coffee, muffins or danish, and hard boiled eggs. Even bananas to put on your cereal.

When the night manager had a day off he took me to several locations to photograph birds. I never got a good shot but did learn a little about the species in the area. Also had a chance to try his 150-500mm Sigma lens.

We will be very happy to park at Yellowstone and spend a few months without any hassle. Just hope the winter goes well and next summer works out. We will need to work that long to pay off the bills!!!! ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Gary,

I'll check them out but Kevin has the Koni on his rig and he loves them. Said it's a much better ride than Bilstein. I almost got them the last time but the Bilsteins were less expensive. Won't do that again.  ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
I'll check them out but Kevin has the Koni on his rig and he loves them. Said it's a much better ride than Bilstein. I almost got them the last time but the Bilsteins were less expensive. Won't do that again.  ;D

Check with Bilstein, I was told that the Bilsteins (not OEM) are guaranteed for life.

Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
Our Bilstein shocks are guaranteed for life.  We bought them ourselves as if we had let Freightliner buy them they wouldn't have the guarantee.
2007 GMC Canyon

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Jim,

Glad your back on the road. Sorry about the bill, but as you said there's nothing to do but pay. At east you got good service.

I was going to put Koni's on the Windsor, but one downside to out board air bags is that there are two at each wheel position - and two shocks. The price for 8 Koni's was steep (Road King's were even worse). 

Ken

Ken & Sheila

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Bernie,

Jo Sam's put ours on in '09.  Mileage on them is about 20,000. I really think they should last longer than that!!! Will have to check with Jo Sam's. They are a big truck repair outfit in Orlando. Cleanest facility I have ever visited!

Ken,

The Koni's for our coach are $172 each from one supplier. We only have four. Yes, we got very good service.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
A bad shock should not cause any major ride problems except on potholes and railroad tracks. Usually not to many of those on Interstates! The concern is that the tire can bounce a bit and that leads to cupping (scalloped wear spots) over time.

Talk to Bilstein about  the early failure on the shock. 20k miles is obviously not normal wear, so maybe they will do something for you.

Koni makes a excellent shock, but they ought to for the price! Road Kings are supposedly even better, but you have to sell the motorhome to pay for them. How much better can a shock be once its basic function has been achieved? It's merely a damper.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
Jo Sam's put ours on in '09.  Mileage on them is about 20,000. I really think they should last longer than that!!! Will have to check with Jo Sam's.

Jim

One of our Bilsteins broke a mount about 50,000 miles ago. My Spartan shop replaced it and said I now have a lifetime warranty on the new one. The old ones have over 116,000 miles on them and still are good.

Hope your black cloud has drifted off and is sitting over the ocean now.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
I had FL change out ours at 100k even though I had no particular complaints. After driving 100 miles I realized how much more stable the Tradewinds was with the new shocks.

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
Jim:  Good to hear you were on the road.  We should be in North Platte, NE tomorrow night.  I am assuming if we arrive early, the campsite will be available.

Ron
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
They have arrived!!!!

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
Get them parked before something else breaks :)
2007 GMC Canyon

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
Now, don't touch it........Glad you made it.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
Whew!  That's really good news!  Now, put 'em to work, Bill.  ;D

Margi

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Great news.  Now to put them to work and enjoy the park.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
Yes, we finally made it. You know you work for a great organization when you are two weeks late and the District Manager and his wife have dinner ready for you!!! :) :) Thanks Bill & Jolene.

Gary, there may be no railroad tracks on the interstate but I could have sworn I was on one during one stretch of 287/26. Climbing the 9600' pass after Dubois the engine high temp alarm came on. Had to pull over and let it cool down. We were at the 9300' level at the time.

At least we are here and can now relax a little. Sure glad that trip is over!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »

Gary, there may be no railroad tracks on the interstate but I could have sworn I was on one during one stretch of 287/26. Climbing the 9600' pass after Dubois the engine high temp alarm came on. Had to pull over and let it cool down. We were at the 9300' level at the time.

At least we are here and can now relax a little. Sure glad that trip is over!!

Glad to hear you've finally made it!

About your hitemp excursion, have you cleaned the dust/dirt out of the radiator core air passages lately? I had a hitemp excursion two years ago and spent an hour cleaning the core. Haven't had any excursions since.
Chet18013

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
Chet,

I didn't notice anything in the core but a good cleaning may be in order.  I did mention it was running warmer than usual to FL but they never mentioned checking the radiator.  Guess I should have thought of it.  :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
Jim,

Glad to hear that you made to YS. Now you can rest - oops, I mean get to work, Bill is waiting for you!

See you later in the summer.

Currently we are in beautiful Clark Fork at Terry & Betty's.

ken
Ken & Sheila

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
Glad you made it! Enjoy your time in YS.

-Trevor & Roni

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
Ken,

I do need the rest but Bill has us working tomorrow at 10:00. ;D Today we drove to Gardiner to do the paperwork and get our IDs. I think it might be an early night tonight.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
Hi Trevor & Roni,

Thanks, we feel the same way. ;D ;D I'm sure we'll enjoy our time here.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »
I was going to bring beer over after you got back from Gardiner, then West Yellowstone, but figured when Pat had to carry your slippers to you in the car, you might not be ready to party.  See you in the AM.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »
Bill,

You're always welcome but I did have her drive since I was beat from the trip to Gardiner. Lots of traffic heading west. There was a bull elk just past Lower Geyser Basin down in the valley. Backed up for over a mile. Same thing coming back from Gardiner. Two bull elk across from Artist's Paint Pots. Traffic backed up past elk meadow!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Hosted by Over The Network