Where on the Route are the Dick's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Looking forward to the arrival of Jim and Pat Dick, wondering how the tri is going, assuming very smoothly.  Oh the questions!  What route?  northern?  90?  80?  Have the fuel price decreases helped along the way?  Getting any great photos along the way? 

Bill,

I meant to call you today, even mentioned it to Pat, but things came up. :) We are still at our Daughter's. We leave Monday morning since she planned a party for Cody on Sunday. I expect we will be coming in on I80 but will have to drop down before Ohio to miss the tolls and stay away from the big cities. Not sure yet just which route we'll take but we will get back up to I80 at the west end of IL.

Only pictures have been of the graduation and a few from an antique truck show and the Mack factory in PA. Cody now has my original Digital Rebel and two lenses. He seems happy with it.

Trip has been pretty smooth with only a broken stack vent cover from a branch at Jim's and a split drain plug on the water heater at Chet's. Both minor and inexpensive fixes. Coach has been running well and I hope it continues.

Pat continues to do well. Seems all healed now. Lots of visiting of friends and family. Just got back from dinner with Pat's cousin and his wife. They are the hikers/bikers that have over 100,000 miles on their tandem. They've also hiked just about all the trails in this country and Europe. Lots of interesting tales!

Attached is a photo of Cody with the proud Grandparents.  :)

Attachments

• _MG_7884-001.jpg
    _MG_7884-001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 80
Great photo Jim. We're so glad that Pat is making progress, and that you were both able to attend the graduation of your grandson.

Tom,

Thanks, Pat recovered remarkably fast and is back to good health. We're really thankful it did not happen in Yellowstone or on the way. The outcome certainly would have been far different.

It's hard to believe Cody is that old. I still remember when he was about 2y.o. and would come running to me every time Shari brought him to the house. He apparently gets his height from my side of the family but it certainly missed my generation!!

Now for the rest of the adventure. It's still hard to believe we won't be back to Florida for 18 months!!!

Latest update on our travels: We experienced a warm refer on Saturday. Monday I took it to the dealership where I used to work. A few hard raps with a 2 lb hammer seemed to free up a blockage. Fast forward to Tuesday. No cooler than the day before. Took it back on our way out of town for further analysis. After some diagnostic work they thought it had gone into a check mode which means it would stay at a previous state but one never knows what that might be. After resetting all codes it appeared it might start to work.

Left CT around 1:30pm. Since it was so late we called Chet & Laurie to request a night at their place. Pulled in and checked the temp. No better than five hours before. We're hoping it will resolve itself but really doubt it. This cooling unit was new last May. When the tech called Norcold to see if they would replace it, they said no, it's out of warranty. Norcold has seen the last penny they ever will from me. If the unit does not start performing correctly in the morning we will be going through Decatur, IN so a stop at the service center will be required. It will be replaced with something other than Norcold. Hopefully, a household unit that will fit in the available slot. If not, a Dometic though they have their problems as well.  :mad:

BTW, this is exactly how our trip last year started! First an operation for me and then the replacement of the cooling unit. Something tells me someone does not want us returning to that paradise called Yellowstone!!!! :)

Jim,

You could always try the Amish cooling unit for the Norcold.

http://www.ajmadison.com/refrigeration/
I found this site very helpful in looking for a residence type refrigerator. I am not recommending these folks, but their website is one of the best for research. It let you put in your maximum dimensions. BTW on the depth measure your cabinet depth, then subtract 1 inch for back air flow and add 4 inches for the thickness of the door and gasket as an estimate. When you look at a refrigerators dimensions for the depth look at the case depth allowing an inch at the back for airflow.

I was mostly limited do to height restriction because my unit is in the slide and Sheila did not want to lose the drawer underneath.

The other thing to watch is the estimated energy use.

If I can help in your search let me know.

good luck,

ken

Ron,

We're trying!!!

Ken,

Thanks, I've looked at that site before. Lots of good info. When I was at the dealership I mentioned the Amish unit. Marc took me out back and showed me one they had just replaced due to a fire. Guess they're really not much better than Norcold.

We're going to give Kevin Mallory a call today and see what he might know. He does the replacement of the American Coach Source Managers. It's possible he may have also installed residential units in the coaches. Never thought to ask last year when we were there.

We are currently at the Mercer, OH KOA. Will arrive at Kevin's tomorrow. He is expecting us and will expedite the refer change for us. For those of you who don't know him, he's really a very accommodating and knowledgeable guy. He owns Cruising America RV Service Co. Last year he changed out our Source Manager to a new pure sine wave inverter/converter/charger along with a new transfer switch.

We have spent more money on inferior Norcold refers. They will never get another dime from us!! They really should change their name to No Cold.

Jim

Glad to see you are on the right course now..... My Dometics were no better.

Attachments

• Refrigerator 2010-40.JPG
    Refrigerator 2010-40.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 63
Terry,

The problem I have is finding one that won't extend too far into the aisle. Most are too deep for the space I have since it is directly across the aisle from the washer/dryer. Will have to see what Kevin has in mind tomorrow.

Jim,

Friends of ours had the same issue in their Beaver.
They put in this refrigerator: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF197AC.html
The case is only 24 3/8 deep. The width is perfect ay 32.25. It is taller than the Norcold, but they removed the storage space underneath and it fit.

ken

Jim and Pat

Happy anniversary to you lovebirds!!!!!!  Hope to celebrate with you some year.  Doesn't everyone want a new refrigeraor for their anniversary!!  Actually I was thrilled to get the residential frig, like Terry we would never go back.

Sheila June

Ken:

The specs on that Samsung frig shows 15amps @ 120 volts?

Jeff,

That's true, all refrigerators require a sole purpose 15AMP circuit (ie dedicated) by code. It has nothing to do with the actual current draw. The energy label on this frig show 445 kWh annually. Not the best, but pretty good. In general the side by side and french door models use more energy than the "standard" freezer on the top models. I think the rating on ours was around 390 kWh. Our normal running current draw is .8 AMP.

ken

Sheila June,

Thanks, Pat asked me this morning if I was going to buy her a new refrigerator for our anniversary. ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom