EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where on the Route are the Dick's?  (Read 29391 times)

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
Re: Where on the Route are the Dick's?
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
OK OK,  Did you guys remember I had to replace MY fuel pump upon leaving Ystone last Fall?  One of the other workcamper couples needed new fuel pump on the way here this year.,  something about fuel pumps I guess.  My Westy, trying to return to Ystone from Jackson last weekend ended up needing just the fuel filter, but I knew it was something in the fuel delivery issue.

However, remember this, in bad luck, there can be good luck.  God luck you were right by a place to be safe, at home with Pat's appendix, near the Ohio guy for fridge.  Could have been so much worse. 

Oh, and we gave them both raises, max I was allowed. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
Bill,

Your fuel pump was exactly what I was thinking about when they told me mine was bad. :D I also thought about you when Dave was hooking up the tow truck!

Hoping they will get the parts today and start working on it. Will have to make a decision on the muffler once we find out how long it will take to have it shipped. Hopefully they can get it overnight. A sign says they will pay the first $100 of expedited shipping. Not sure it applies to RVs.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
Is it your lift pump or the injection pump? Injection pump is BIG $$$$!    Lift pump is bad enough, but cheap in comparison.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Gary,

I believe it's the lift pump. Injector controller went a couple of years ago. Happened on US 1 during morning rush hour at a busy intersection. We had just left our sons house. Yes, it was big bucks!! :(
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
Bill,

I forgot to mention that I agree with you. It could have been much worse. Dave was VERY happy that we were in the parking area and not alongside I80! We have been very fortunate with everything that has happened to us on the road as they all could have been much worse.

Just got back from breakfast here at the motel. It's not much but decent. Spent over an hour talking with the manager and his night person. The night guy is a bird photographer. Has some really nice photos and knows about all the birds that flock to this area. I think they get more than we do in Florida! He uses a Sigma 150-500 lens.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Remember the Johnny Cash song, One Piece at a Time.  I think we may need to play that as we leave for a drve instead of On the Road Again.

May have to get the lyrics and rework them a bit.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Here is the latest in our saga. Yesterday they tried to remove the cracked exhaust manifold. None of the bolts would budge. After a night of soaking in penetrating oil, the first one came loose. The rest never did. The head had to be removed but they were able to dislodge the broken bolts. At least that saved us another $2000!! They will test the Charge Air Cooler as that is usually the primary cause of a cracked manifold. Don't know what one will cost. I told the service writers that I might have to call the finance company and have them take it back since I wouldn't be able to afford it!!! :)

Now they have to reassemble the parts and finish up on the rest of the repairs/maintenance items. Still hoping to be released sometime this week but I can't seem to guess correctly.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Jim:

You are making me feel bad as I am the one on the road with a new-to-us m/h that I envisioned laying down all the way from PHX to the Maritimes.

Hope this is the last of the glitches.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
Jim,

We spent 3+ days at Cummins in El Cajon, CA while they worked to get the bolts free on the Exhaust Manifold on Imperial (rusted bolts was a result of living in Vermont and traveling in the winter!). They really didn't want to break off the bolts! Our problem was not a crack, but a bad gasket. The MH was just outside the shop, but under a canopy attached to the building. At night we were locked into the compound. They finally got the bolts off and replaced the exhaust manifold. Fortunately this was under warranty. Later, unrelated,  at another Cummins shop they found a crack in the CAC, but they were able to repair it with epoxy. Good thing because the CAC was not a Cummins part and therefore not under warranty.

I hope if the CAC is bad that it can be repaired rather than replaced.

ken
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:05:19 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.

Not sure when you might be in Lincoln but we might be here another two days. Sure hope we can head west by then. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet somewhere along the way!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
Jeff,

I'm sure you will be fine with your new coach and expect you will make the Maritimes safely.  :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Ken,

We seem to break down on a Friday so we do spend more time in a repair facility than most. I was not able to talk with the tech today about the CAC but will see him tomorrow morning, I hope. I have no idea if they can repair it or not. I did hope they could repair the exhaust manifold but it was totally cracked into two pieces.

I have a feeling that they may be installing the head tonight as another tech was cleaning up the area for the gasket when we checked just before dinner. This facility works 24/7 so they do put others on a job when necessary. I only hope we can be on the road again very soon. Thankfully the tech this morning saved us $2,000 by removing the broken bolts from the head!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Jim, I have your number so I will give you a call after we get on the road. We might be able to make something happen.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
Jim, I have your number so I will give you a call after we get on the road. We might be able to make something happen.

OK. We will be here at least another day. They are putting the head back on this morning but still have other items to address. I think bolting everything back up on the engine will take most of today.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
Another day after today or today being the other day.  I would guess they want to get you by Fri eve at the latest.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Must be catching. Now we are broken down as well. Tranny shift pad is out, so can't do anything. Waiting for a tow.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
Dang, just what you needed, eh Gary ?

At this rate Coachnet will be filing chapter 7 soon. Heaven forbid.

Too many electronic gadgets now-a days. 

A curmudgeon speaking.  Hope all works out ok, eventually.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Must be that cyber attack they warned about  ???

Folks, don't start your engines for the next 72 hours, to be sure the threat has passed.

Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for all of you as planned. Hoping you're both taken care of soon and that you have safe and carefree travels.

-Roni

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
Jim, Gary and GW,

You all are starting to scare me about hitting the road next month.

Hope things start going better for all of you.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
Don't panic Jim, we are using up all the bad Karma.

Glen
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
Don't panic Jim, we are using up all the bad Karma.

Glen

Glen,

Glad to hear you are on the road. Great talking with you today. Why not call the Lincoln Truck Center in Lincoln, NE and see if they will get the part for you. Then you could have the work done when passing through.

They have the head replaced and I'm hoping they will get to the rest of the repairs tomorrow. Hoping to be out of here soon!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
Gary,

As I mentioned on FB, there's something foul afoot and we all seem to be catching it. Hope it will be over soon!!!! Good luck on your repairs.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
 Jim, I hope you get outa there.....I am going to wait as I understand that it will not hurt it to drive it so I will wait till I get back to Miami. I have an LP Gas leak in a line that goes to the other side of the coach. I hit a tire carcas in traffic that flew up and hit the line. I need that fixed before I leave the coach to be repaired for anything else so my fridge will work. What a mess......
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.

gwcowgill:

We spent a day in Gallup because of our air dryer giving up the ghost on our first day on the road. (Would build about 65 pounds of pressure) After the mechs CoachNet sent out  bypassed the dryer we were on the road and I picked up a replacement kit for the turbo valve on the dryer at Freightliner OKC ($20.00). When I pulled the old turbo valve all that was wrong was an o-ring had split. I now carry a dollar's worth of replacements (2) to last me the rest of my life. Instructions on pulling the valve is on the Haldex website and it takes about 30 minutes.

Unfortunately the mechanics left the air line coming from the compressor laying up against the u-joint housing and wore a hole in the line. Replacing that in Illinois cost $200.

Incidentally with the air dryer bypassed I was draining more water from the system after four hours of driving than I saw in 115k miles on our last coach. Make sure you drain all three tanks very regularly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:44:42 PM by Jeff »

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I may give it a look when I get home but mine is still under warranty so I probably will let Freightliner in Miami do it. I am sure it is something simple. I am getting 115lbs with the dryer bypassed and my suspension feels better. The valve was replaced in San Antonio a couple weeks ago.

Glen
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »
With the dryer bypassed be sure to drain the water from your air tanks periodically.  That's not something most people need to do with a functioning air dryer.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
Ned, I remember the good old days when everything was simple and you just drained the air tanks.,No electronically controlled injectors, no cat convertors, noreadouts, just add fuel and go. I layed out in the snow and thawed out a few truck air lines in the late 50's,especiallyu trucks from Florida. Biggest thing in the old days was filters.......I will drain the tanks.....famous last words.......
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Hosted by Over The Network