Where on the Route are the Dick's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK OK,  Did you guys remember I had to replace MY fuel pump upon leaving Ystone last Fall?  One of the other workcamper couples needed new fuel pump on the way here this year.,  something about fuel pumps I guess.  My Westy, trying to return to Ystone from Jackson last weekend ended up needing just the fuel filter, but I knew it was something in the fuel delivery issue.

However, remember this, in bad luck, there can be good luck.  God luck you were right by a place to be safe, at home with Pat's appendix, near the Ohio guy for fridge.  Could have been so much worse. 

Oh, and we gave them both raises, max I was allowed. 

Bill,

Your fuel pump was exactly what I was thinking about when they told me mine was bad. :D I also thought about you when Dave was hooking up the tow truck!

Hoping they will get the parts today and start working on it. Will have to make a decision on the muffler once we find out how long it will take to have it shipped. Hopefully they can get it overnight. A sign says they will pay the first $100 of expedited shipping. Not sure it applies to RVs.

Gary,

I believe it's the lift pump. Injector controller went a couple of years ago. Happened on US 1 during morning rush hour at a busy intersection. We had just left our sons house. Yes, it was big bucks!! :(

Bill,

I forgot to mention that I agree with you. It could have been much worse. Dave was VERY happy that we were in the parking area and not alongside I80! We have been very fortunate with everything that has happened to us on the road as they all could have been much worse.

Just got back from breakfast here at the motel. It's not much but decent. Spent over an hour talking with the manager and his night person. The night guy is a bird photographer. Has some really nice photos and knows about all the birds that flock to this area. I think they get more than we do in Florida! He uses a Sigma 150-500 lens.

Remember the Johnny Cash song, One Piece at a Time.  I think we may need to play that as we leave for a drve instead of On the Road Again.

May have to get the lyrics and rework them a bit.

Here is the latest in our saga. Yesterday they tried to remove the cracked exhaust manifold. None of the bolts would budge. After a night of soaking in penetrating oil, the first one came loose. The rest never did. The head had to be removed but they were able to dislodge the broken bolts. At least that saved us another $2000!! They will test the Charge Air Cooler as that is usually the primary cause of a cracked manifold. Don't know what one will cost. I told the service writers that I might have to call the finance company and have them take it back since I wouldn't be able to afford it!!! :)

Now they have to reassemble the parts and finish up on the rest of the repairs/maintenance items. Still hoping to be released sometime this week but I can't seem to guess correctly.

Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.

Jim:

You are making me feel bad as I am the one on the road with a new-to-us m/h that I envisioned laying down all the way from PHX to the Maritimes.

Hope this is the last of the glitches.

Jim,

We spent 3+ days at Cummins in El Cajon, CA while they worked to get the bolts free on the Exhaust Manifold on Imperial (rusted bolts was a result of living in Vermont and traveling in the winter!). They really didn't want to break off the bolts! Our problem was not a crack, but a bad gasket. The MH was just outside the shop, but under a canopy attached to the building. At night we were locked into the compound. They finally got the bolts off and replaced the exhaust manifold. Fortunately this was under warranty. Later, unrelated,  at another Cummins shop they found a crack in the CAC, but they were able to repair it with epoxy. Good thing because the CAC was not a Cummins part and therefore not under warranty.

I hope if the CAC is bad that it can be repaired rather than replaced.

ken

gwcowgill said:
Jim, sorry we missed you at Yellowstone. We are in Laramie, WY for the night. Done a long day today so I can take the next 2 days easy. Sure hope you get all this straightened out and get a bunch of years without anymore problems. Hope you are out of Lincoln before we get there.

Not sure when you might be in Lincoln but we might be here another two days. Sure hope we can head west by then. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet somewhere along the way!

Ken,

We seem to break down on a Friday so we do spend more time in a repair facility than most. I was not able to talk with the tech today about the CAC but will see him tomorrow morning, I hope. I have no idea if they can repair it or not. I did hope they could repair the exhaust manifold but it was totally cracked into two pieces.

I have a feeling that they may be installing the head tonight as another tech was cleaning up the area for the gasket when we checked just before dinner. This facility works 24/7 so they do put others on a job when necessary. I only hope we can be on the road again very soon. Thankfully the tech this morning saved us $2,000 by removing the broken bolts from the head!

gwcowgill said:
Jim, I have your number so I will give you a call after we get on the road. We might be able to make something happen.

OK. We will be here at least another day. They are putting the head back on this morning but still have other items to address. I think bolting everything back up on the engine will take most of today.

Another day after today or today being the other day.  I would guess they want to get you by Fri eve at the latest.

Dang, just what you needed, eh Gary ?

At this rate Coachnet will be filing chapter 7 soon. Heaven forbid.

Too many electronic gadgets now-a days. 

A curmudgeon speaking.  Hope all works out ok, eventually.

Must be that cyber attack they warned about  ???

Folks, don't start your engines for the next 72 hours, to be sure the threat has passed.

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for all of you as planned. Hoping you're both taken care of soon and that you have safe and carefree travels.

-Roni

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom