Where on the Route are the Dick's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.

gwcowgill said:
Don't panic Jim, we are using up all the bad Karma.

Glen

Glen,

Glad to hear you are on the road. Great talking with you today. Why not call the Lincoln Truck Center in Lincoln, NE and see if they will get the part for you. Then you could have the work done when passing through.

They have the head replaced and I'm hoping they will get to the rest of the repairs tomorrow. Hoping to be out of here soon!

Gary,

As I mentioned on FB, there's something foul afoot and we all seem to be catching it. Hope it will be over soon!!!! Good luck on your repairs.

Jim, I hope you get outa there.....I am going to wait as I understand that it will not hurt it to drive it so I will wait till I get back to Miami. I have an LP Gas leak in a line that goes to the other side of the coach. I hit a tire carcas in traffic that flew up and hit the line. I need that fixed before I leave the coach to be repaired for anything else so my fridge will work. What a mess......

gwcowgill said:
catching,  We got it to.....Brakes wouldn't release this morning, no air. Freightliner got road service out, took 4 hours. They bypassed the air dryer and got us on the road. Stopped at Freightliner in Cheyenne and they said tyhey couldn't get parts until Monday but said it was OK to drive with. May wait until Miami if Omaha can't get to it. Gary, we had a shifter cause complete transmission failure. Allison put a complete new unit in ours under warranty back in April. I sure am hoping it does it for us. We are now in North Platte, NE. Long day for me but I only have 290 miles to my son's house for tomorrow.

gwcowgill:

We spent a day in Gallup because of our air dryer giving up the ghost on our first day on the road. (Would build about 65 pounds of pressure) After the mechs CoachNet sent out  bypassed the dryer we were on the road and I picked up a replacement kit for the turbo valve on the dryer at Freightliner OKC ($20.00). When I pulled the old turbo valve all that was wrong was an o-ring had split. I now carry a dollar's worth of replacements (2) to last me the rest of my life. Instructions on pulling the valve is on the Haldex website and it takes about 30 minutes.

Unfortunately the mechanics left the air line coming from the compressor laying up against the u-joint housing and wore a hole in the line. Replacing that in Illinois cost $200.

Incidentally with the air dryer bypassed I was draining more water from the system after four hours of driving than I saw in 115k miles on our last coach. Make sure you drain all three tanks very regularly.

Thanks Jeff, I may give it a look when I get home but mine is still under warranty so I probably will let Freightliner in Miami do it. I am sure it is something simple. I am getting 115lbs with the dryer bypassed and my suspension feels better. The valve was replaced in San Antonio a couple weeks ago.

Glen

With the dryer bypassed be sure to drain the water from your air tanks periodically.  That's not something most people need to do with a functioning air dryer.

Ned, I remember the good old days when everything was simple and you just drained the air tanks.,No electronically controlled injectors, no cat convertors, noreadouts, just add fuel and go. I layed out in the snow and thawed out a few truck air lines in the late 50's,especiallyu trucks from Florida. Biggest thing in the old days was filters.......I will drain the tanks.....famous last words.......

Glen,

Well, others have expressed what I thought about your message.  :) With the humidity so high I'm sure you will need to drain the water from the tanks fairly often. Hoping you will make it back to Florida without further problems.

We will have to see tomorrow where they are on the repairs. Hoping for an early release this weekend but not betting the farm on it.

Sorry we missed again in connecting. We WILL make it for the winter of 2013!!!!

Today they repaired all the problems except two. One is an air leak which drains the system over a few days. Can live with that for awhile.

The second is the right front shock is leaking. It has caused the front tire to wear in an odd way. The shocks are Bilstein and they won't be available until sometime in August!!! They can't seem to find the Koni replacement anywhere so we will have to continue on with the bad one. I'm sure it will destroy the tire but we have no choice at this point. It doesn't affect the ride much though I feel a very slight shimmy in the steering wheel. We'll order shocks once we get to Yellowstone and hope we can get someone to replace them.

Sometime early tomorrow we will continue our journey. We have about 900 miles to go so we may not arrive until Monday morning. Won't know until we finish up tomorrow.

Jim,

Bummer but I would do the same.  There is a good shop here I use, not FL although they are good but cost more, and I will see them on Monday as I have a couple of things that need to be done before we leave for Portland.  I will ask to see if there is a recommended shop in West or at least closer than us.  If not we have several shops here including FL.

Bozeman Ford.  Not sure if they will work on yours or not, but they have a good local rep. 

900 mile, 900 mile,

Glad to hear they got you rolling again . We made it to Bellevue today. Got a guy coming out Tuesday to fix my LPG leak that we got when we hit a tire alligator in the road in Utah. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be uneventful with us and you.

Jim,

It doesn't have to be FL. I actually have a Spartan chassis but this shop works on all makes.

Bill,

Wondering if our own Yellowstone garage can handle a simple shock change though they are a little bit larger.  :)

Glen,

Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful. We'll have to discuss life on the road when we get together.  ;D

Jim Dick said:
Jim,

It doesn't have to be FL. I actually have a Spartan chassis but this shop works on all makes.

The shop I go does all makes and provides towing too.  It would be a long drive so if something is closer, it would be better for you.  The closest I could find in the wide area phone book we have is one in Gardner.  There are several in Idaho Falls that I found with a Google search.

Best wishes for a safe and trouble free drive to YP.

Back
Top Bottom