Buy or rent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I'm aware of at least one forum member who rented a Jeep at, for example, Moab and had a week or so of 4-wheeling fun. This would seem a good alternative for someone who doesn't own a 4WD &/or doesn't wish to tow a vehicle, and who goes 4-wheeling on relatively rare occasions.

Does anyone else here do this, or have done it in the past? What does it cost? Are there any potential downsides?

The potential down side is that you are going to like it so much, you just have to buy your own 4x4. ;D

Understood Lowell. But, presumably one would be more likely to make an informed purchase after the rental?

While in Moab, this past May  we saw several rental Jeeps.  They seemed to be everywhere.  One downside to renting is  the companies do place restrictions on  certain runs they consider  off limits for a rental.  But heck  I consider those runs off limits for us too.  They also  offered organized runs of rental units so  one would have a built in group.  All in all I think renting would be a good option for having  fun without the long term commitment. 

I am interested into getting into 4 wheeling ever since Lou S, Betty, Terry, Bob, Jerry, Ardra and others dragged me along kicking and screaming. ;D And I loved it. I didn't think you could rent a jeep so I was surprised to find out you could. I looked up the rates and they are not too bad. In Utah they want $150 per day.

http://www.farabeesjeeprentals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:utah-rental-rates&catid=34

Lots and lots of rentals available in Moab and the Ouray/Silverton Colorado area.  Not sure about restrictions in Moab but for Ouray/SIlverton, rentals cannot do Black Bear Pass.  Never rented but what a great way to run trails if you don't have a capable 4x4 rig.

But Tom, without a Jeep for a toad, we would have missed the fun of getting sideswiped twice on our western trip this year.  However,having bought a place in Florida, Donna and I have talked about it, as we are seriously thinking of downsizing, yet so much of the enjoyment of Moab was being able to travel in the back country.  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable driving a rental, but it likely would be better equipped to handle the off roading than our Liberty.

Ed

My main fear about a rental is the potential liability if it's damaged.  I can afford to write off a $1500 Bronco II if I had to - scraping together 10-20 times that amount to repair or replace a new Jeep is a different story.

Good point Lou, but are those rental Jeeps (like the one you rented at Moab, or was that QZ?) "new"?

John Canfield said:
Lots and lots of rentals available in Moab and the Ouray/Silverton Colorado area.  Not sure about restrictions in Moab but for Ouray/SIlverton, rentals cannot do Black Bear Pass.  Never rented but what a great way to run trails if you don't have a capable 4x4 rig.
I have done Black Bear pass. It is tight but not hard. It is also a one way trail that takes you to Telluride. The biggest danger is the cliffs. That might be the reason LOL. They also close the trail when it is raining. 

Tom,

At least one of the companies in Moab rents nearly new JK Rubicons (they must have 30 or so of them); I'd guess three years old at a maximum. Since Jeeps don't depreciate anything like the usual car, I expect the potential liability would be high.

I think renting would be a good entry point if you have doubts about how much you'll do. On the other hand, I like having my own and its a very cheap toad to own (again very low depreciation).

Ernie

Hey Ernie, where did you 2 end up, what became of the thought of taking the ferry to Alaska?

Ed

We were going to rent one at Moab but they stated GEICO insureds (which we are) were not insured to rent their Jeeps - apparently GEICO has a disclaimer for those type of vehicles. Our previous insurance covered anything we rented when we traveled, although I never asked the trail Jeep question.

Something to ponder.

But the prices were reasonable to me, all things considered, unless you end up drinking the Brewer Kool-Aid, and have to have your own.  ;D

Ed,

We kinda came to our senses when I decided to retire at the end of June (we'll likely go next year). We're currently in Antonito CO at the Canyon Bonito RV and Fisherman's Club on the Conejos River (full hook ups for $12.50/day). The theory is we're fly fishing, but there's a lot of loafing going on.

It a beautiful setting and we'll likely stay a month and a half or more.

Glad to see you got your accident stuff taken care of. Hope to see ya next year in FL.

Have a great summer,

Ernie & Tara

Back
Top Bottom