I bought a new phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
The GPS only works when you're in a data area - if there's no service the GPS becomes a brick.  So don't expect the phone to bail you out while you're walking in the wilderness (unless you're on a mountaintop that sees a TMobile tower).

Ain't that the truth. I started to rely on my iphone for geocaching then got somewhere that there was no service and didn't have a GPSr with me. And using the GPS function will suck your batteries dry in a hurry. We use Map My Hike and North Face Trailhead when hiking but usually turn it off when we're not actively using it. It's fun to leave a footstep trail but sucks when the battery dies.

Wendy

Find My Car is an app I use a lot - though where I want to get back to does not have to be my car. Easier than going through my phone GPS system in that I just click to record my current position (plus can take a pic of it as well). Can also give it a name to retrieve in the future.

When ready to return to my car, or wherever - I click the Find button that lays a stright line to my car plus turn by turns.

Bob Buchanan said:
Find My Car is an app I use a lot - though where I want to get back to does not have to be my car. Easier than going through my phone GPS system in that I just click to record my current position (plus can take a pic of it as well). Can also give it a name to retrieve in the future.

When ready to return to my car, or wherever - I click the Find button that lays a stright line to my car plus turn by turns.
Thank you for the reminder Bob. I remember you told about that app when we were having breakfast. I just downloaded and install it.

Ned said:
You can change the first 3 apps in the dock (the bottom row of icons) to any apps that are installed on the phone. 
Turns out you are correct after all Ned.  I finally found a way to do it. Very different from the normal way you move and delete icons. It is buried in the menu way deep and requires directions. I am glad I finally found it because the Message icon is totally unnecessary for me since I don't do texting.

Would that app allow Chris to find her glasses? She's always looking for them, either because she can't remember where she left them, or because they blend in with the granite in our kitchen and family room. Sometimes I remind her that they're perched on her head  ;D

Tom said:
Would that app allow Chris to find her glasses? She's always looking for them, either because she can't remember where she left them, or because they blend in with the granite in our kitchen and family room. Sometimes I remind her that they're perched on her head  ;D
No it would not help Chris find her glasses. GPS generally doesn't work indoors.

On my phone, a long press on the a dock icon brings up a list of the installed apps and I can choose any of them for that icon position.  But that may be a Motoblur feature and not Android in general.

Tom, I'm glad you've joined me in the 21st Century.  Jerry dragged me into it a few months ago and I have to say my Android is one nifty little gadget!  Have fun learning all about your new toy.

We found a neat way to use our GPS this morning.  Jerry was talking to a person at a campground and asked for the address so he could put it into the GPS.  The lady gave it to him and then commented that some GPSs take people to the road across from them where there's no place to turn around so we should be sure where we are before making the turn.  Jerry put in the address, scrolled down the directions to the destination, clicked on it, and it zoomed to the area.  He actually could see RVs in the campground and we verified with the Garmin that we had the correct side of the road.  We've noticed that all our GPSs occasionally have problems with the destination being on the right or left.  In fact, we've had two running with one saying the destination is on the right and the other on the left, so being able to actually see what a place looks like is really useful!

ArdraF

GThank you for the tip Ardra. My phone comes with three different GPS apps. I checked them out and I am amazed at the satellite view. It had an arrow pointing right at the space I am parked in and I could zoom down and see everything clearly. Why do I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone?

Would that app allow Chris to find her glasses?

Sounds like a perfect app for a small RFID chip.  Then all you'd have to do is sweep the house with a RFID detector until it beeps.  ;)

Tom J.,

When Chris loses her glasses just suggest she look on her forehead. That's were many of us leave them. ;D ;D ;D

Aye Jim, that's what I mentioned in my earlier message:

[quote author=Tom]Sometimes I remind her that they're perched on her head[/quote]

Good news this morning. Verizon is swapping some of it's unused spectrum with T-Mobile. Here is the article:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-25/verizon-t-mobile-usa-agree-to-spectrum-swap-pending-cable-deal

I love this quote:

"Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE), the parent of T-Mobile USA, plans to boost U.S. network spending by $1.4 billion over two years in a race to upgrade equipment and bring faster connections to smartphones."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom