ALASKA- "Just the facts, Ma'am"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sarge,

Following your trip has been great. I have learn a lot about conditions and places to go. When you wrap up the trip, If it's not getting too personal could you maybe give us a break down of expenses, like fuel, campgrounds etc. It would be a great tool for planning such a trip.

Living vicariously through your posts!
Steve

Steve, you may want to read this topic that has lots of info on our (and several others) Alaska trip in 2006.  This message has a complete expense summary of our trip.

Yep, going to do just that Steve, both for the forum and my own curiosity.  It has been pricey thus far, but everybody doesn't RV the same, which I will explain when I post up the results.  Diane keeps a RV log book of all of our stops and the costs, and I track the other expenses via the credit card receipts. 

For now the adventure continues!

We stayed at the Cottonwood campground with the bears on the way in!  So I wasn't surprised to read about the man and his poodle and the bear.  We opted to boondock in one of the large "rest areas" on the side of the highway on the way back.  We enjoyed that a lot more than the little campground with 15 amp power.  Maybe because it was a lot easier to pull into our rv space and we didn't have to hook-up the utilities?  Ya think? lol. 

I think we are "sandwiched" between Marsha and Sarge this trip - we left Tok on August 2nd are in Haines, leaving for Skagway tomorrow.  For us, the rain hasn't been too bad this trip.  We've lucked out and kept one step ahead of the weather most times.

SargeW said:
Yep, going to do just that Steve, both for the forum and my own curiosity.  It has been pricey thus far, but everybody doesn't RV the same, which I will explain when I post up the results.  Diane keeps a RV log book of all of our stops and the costs, and I track the other expenses via the credit card

Marty:

It is almost one of those things you do not want to know!

I try to round down when figuring what an RV trip costs. 8)

Jeff, I know what you mean.  I have been paying the bills here and YIKES!  But it's all part of the adventure, right?  After a few "less than optimal" campgrounds, we made the long drive from Watson lake today, and are at Stewart BC tonight.  This campground is better than the others we stayed in the last few days, but not by a whole lot.  We are using campground WiFi as there is NO cell signal here in Stewart.  Too many mountains for Direct, and oh yeah, don't wash the bugs off of your window because the ecologists say is it's bad for the environment blah, blah, blah.  Tough, I washed the windows anyways. 

We fueled in Watson Lake prior to leaving for Stuart. We paid $5.29 a gallon. I used about 41 gallons or so getting here, so we will fill here before we leave and I am sure it will be at least that much or more.  The campground was about $36 a night with Good Sam discount.

I must say though that the drive down here on the Casiar was one of the most interesting and scenic that we have had since we crossed into BC. Our course of travel has taken us from north to south, and the first 200 miles of the highway didn't even have a center line!  Most of the road is in excellent condition, with a few short areas that are being worked on. Once I got past members of a caravan that was stopping mid way at Iscut, the driving was pretty easy. 

And the weather on the way down to Stewart, once we were about 100 south of Watson Lake was PERFECT.  75 degrees, sunny and fluffy clouds.  It feels good to be south again. 

Tomorrow we may drive over to Haines to check it out and see what the rest of Stewart looks like.  For now, I am ready for my second Jack and coke......... 

Marty,  thought you'd like to hear some info Tim and I heard this evening.  We were talking to an Adventure Caravan traveler in a brand new 45' coach.  He is parked just behind us here in Fairbanks.  The caravan was coming into Alaska counter clock wise with the caravan going up to Dawson City, over Top of the World, back down into Chicken and then Tok.  He said he wasn't going to do Top of the World so met the caravan in Tok.  They reported that a 42' coach and toad went over the side of the road sliding down the embankment.  The coach landed on it's side and the toad stayed upright.  No one was hurt.  Apparently the edge gave way and down he went.  It took 7-8 hours to get a tow truck that could pull the coach back up onto the road.  That would have done me in!

Makes my little flat tire we had this morning on the tow car a piece of cake; and my decision to not do TOW a good one.  Tim went out to take Charlie for his morning walk and the tire was nearly flat.  We had a bolt in the tread.  I called all over trying to find a new tire and no one had what we wanted.  They were able to patch it.  We drove around all day and it looks like it's will do fine.  We don't like patched tires, so I'm sure Tim will replace it when we get somewhere we can get a new one. 

Weather is wonderful here in Fairbanks!

BTW
Tomorrow we may drive over to Haines to check it out and see what the rest of Stewart looks like.  For now, I am ready for my second Jack and coke......... 
  I'm hoping you mean Hyder, Haines is a long way from Stewart.... ;)

Marsha~

Yeah, I do mean Hyder, thanks.  We drove nearly 400 miles yesterday and I was a little foggy. Man, I am sooooooooo glad that we didn't do TOW also. I just don't need that much excitement in my life right now.  Not the way I want to end my Alaskan trip.  I just shudder to think about the damage.

Don't worry too much about the patched tire. If it is patched properly it will last pretty well.  They just can't put a plug in a radial tire as the belts shifting around in the tire will cut the plug off.  I have had a patched tire on the Jeep for over 20,000 miles. 

Tires are interesting.  About 3,000 miles into our just-finished trip we got a nail in one of the MDX tires.  It's still holding air perfectly and hasn't been patched or replaced, unlike the one on our previous trip where we got a bolt into one of the MDX tires and it was flat within 1/4 mile.  Glad we have Pressure Pro to keep an eye on such things!

ArdraF

Marsha/CA said:
We had a bolt in the tread.  I called all over trying to find a new tire and no one had what we wanted.  They were able to patch it.  We drove around all day and it looks like it's will do fine.  We don't like patched tires, so I'm sure Tim will replace it when we get somewhere we can get a new one. 

Marsha~

I'm with ya'll on this one. I buy tires in pairs and replace the steers, then sell the others back to the dealer.  I have a dealer here who will generally give me $125-150 per tire as trade ins on a 22.5 with 8-10/32 on them.  What I'd do is tell the dealer I want to trade in this tire, and put that other steer in it's place.  That way I always have tires that are 10/32 or better on my steers and get rid of my patched tires.  And I would never run a patched tire on the steer.  An accident is more likely with  blown steer tire than a rear tire.

Well we spent 2 days in Stewart/Hyder and took a look around. It didn't take long, because neither one is that big.  They both are fairly remote from anyplace else, so you either go there for that reason, as there is no place else to go.  There is no cell service there, at all, so there is also no WiFi other than what is supplied by the campgrounds. 

We did a little exploring while we were there, and drove over to Hyder to check out the "Wildlife observation platform".  It is run by the National Park system, and consists of a a long raised wooden platform with 4' tall sides on it.  It is built over a running stream that the bears and other wildlife come to feast on salmon dinner.  The stream was loaded with many huge fish, all trying to navigate the relatively shallow stream.  We did have to navigate and wait in a construction zone line and follow a pilot car to get the entry of the viewing area. 

There is a fee to enter, but if you have a National Parks Pass entry is free.  There are many trucks and tractors making lots of noise not far away from the feeding stream,  so we didn't see any bears or other wild life while we were there.  But the evidence of the bears was everywhere.  As soon as we got close to the viewing area you are hit with a overwhelming smell of dead fish.  Walking down the platform soon reveals why.  Apparently the bears with grab out a huge salmon, take a bite or two, and go back for another live one.  The banks are littered with dozens of dead salmon with various chunks missing. 

We stayed for a while and watched the fish, but decided to head out.  About another 15 or so miles up the road to Salmon Glacier.  After about 5 miles or so we decided to turn around.  The road that we were traveling on was going from bad to worse. It's all dirt, but the wet weather for most of the season has beat it up pretty bad.  The road road twists and turns next to the river, but after getting past the construction trucking area, the pot holes, washouts and ruts were tremendous.  We took it for about 4 or 5 miles and then just got tired of getting beat up.  And then there is no way out other than to re-trace your route.  With another 10 or 15 miles to go, then turn around and drive it back, we bailed. 

We checked on a few recommended eating places on the way back, but all were closed. So we came back to the RV, Diane made lunch, and I napped afterward.  Not a bad day! 

There is also only ONE gas station anywhere in town, and only ONE diesel pump handle.  Since we were leaving the same morning as a caravan, we got up early to beat most of the traffic to the station.  Interestingly, we paid less for diesel here than we paid in Watson Lake, which was right off the main road.  Diesel here was $5.10 a gallon. 

Pulling out of Stewart earlier than usual, we wound up driving all the way to Vanderhoof BC.  It was about 340 some miles, longer than we usually like to drive, but the roads were really great. I did have to hop-scotch another caravan or two on the two lane roads. It's probably one of the things that really bugs me about the two lane roads.  Many of the caravan members we passed are intent on traveling at 10 to 15 MPH below the posted limit of 100 KPH (62 MPH).  This causes huge back ups of other RV's as well as cars and trucks.  Trying to pass them on curvy two lane roads is dicey at best. 

We pulled into a RV park in Vanderhoof named "Dave's RV Park".  Sounds pretty simple, but we were pleasantly surprised. It is a well maintained park with the usual gravel roads, but all are in good condition. There is ample grass areas between the sites with new picnic tables and fire rings. The owner obviously takes great pride in the landscape, because it was well maintained and healthy. Many different flowers and shrubs as well as mature pines scattered among the sites and around the perimeter.  What I liked about this park is if you didn't need it, you didn't pay for it. 

I didn't need cable (we have Direct Sat TV), internet (Telus air card) or 50 amp service. Without a need for AC, the 30 amp was just fine.  BTW, since we are back were there is cell towers, the Telus air card is working incredibly well.  So for just the basic site we paid $32. We were paying a whole lot more for a whole lot less in other northern parks.  And the park is about 3/4 mile off the main road so there is no road noise. 

Just before we pulled into town we noted that the sky looked dark up ahead. We stopped for fuel on the way in at a "Co Op" brand station. I paid $4.57 for diesel, less than I have paid in weeks!  The attendant told us that they had just had a hail storm about an hour before we pulled in.  They got hail about the size of a nickel.  We looked around and couldn't see much though.  That was until we got to the RV park. 

When we turned on the road to the RV park, it looked like it had snowed!  The roads were loaded with piles of hail everywhere, and when we tuned into the RV park it looked like Christmas in August.  The lawns were covered with hail, the roads were coated, and the walkways were trimmed in white.  Unfortunately, many of the owners flowers got pounded!

The owner told us that in the 22 years that he has been here, this was only the 2nd time that he can recall getting hail larger than a BB size, and never in August. 

Tomorrow we head out again, and will probably be in Washington state by Friday.  As interesting as this trip has been, both Diane and I are longing to set foot back in the lower 48.

Attachments

• P1000936.JPG
    P1000936.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000947.JPG
    P1000947.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000967.JPG
    P1000967.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 64
  • P1000969.JPG
    P1000969.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 61
  • P1000970.JPG
    P1000970.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 65
Too bad Hyder is messed up with road construction & mining.  It's a real pretty drive up to Salmon Glacier and the bear viewing is the best anywhere when they are feeding.  I'm sure the locals are happy with the economic boom that the mining no doubt has brought, but its not so great for RVers.

Just read this from start to here - a great blog - ty ! - I look forward to more updates - you have inspired me to perhaps attempt this trip myself

Stephen

Good deal Stephen! However, there aren't many trip updates left on this trip as we cross into Washington state tomorrow. Then I figure out the damages.  This should be fun.........

We're down I-5 at Woodland. Great place on the river and it might remind you of Alaska! But I would like to hear a campfire story!

I feel sure there is so much more than what got into the travelogue! Super stuff! Thanks for taking the time to make this so real for the rest of us.

Loved following your journey.  I am always happy to be "back Home" when we travel.  Thanks you so much for taking the time to share  your adventures.  Your words will become  lifelong memories,  as are ours from our Alaska  trip  2006.

Welcome back to the lower 48!

Betty

Hey thanks guys! We are looking forward to spending some time at a place with a paved site and a hot tub.  I think for Labor Day we will stay at a place in Clarkston WA that looks pretty nice.......

Thanks for your blog Sarge - it was one we followed closely as we traveled through.  Lots of info, humor, and good writing.  Well done.  Can't believe it is almost over.

Boy, the weather sure is a lot different up there this summer than when we were there in 2010.  There were fires burning all over B.C. and we were glad to get out of B.C. due to the smoke.  We had to wait for them to open the Cassiar before we could head south, then it was following a pilot car through the huge burn.  The dry summer did keep the roads from deteriorating as much as you're describing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom