transmission brake???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmer dan

So I just bought a 1996 34rq winnebago adventure.  It has sat a lot so the brakes are sticky. I think the parking brake is stuck. Does anyone know much about the f53 transmission brakes? And where to get a good repair manual for this chassis?

Ford chassis manuals are usually readily available - try ebay. I found a 1995 F53 chassis manual right away and that ought to be darn near identical to a '96.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Ford-F-53-F53-Motorhome-Stripped-Chassis-Wiring-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-/400301119332?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d33ce5764&vxp=mtr

Here is another source that claims to have the 1996 version:
http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/diy/ford-f53_stripped_chassis-repair.html

And another:
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?k=chassis&c=125226

Google can help you locate whatever you need.

Thanks for the info Gary and Richard. Do you think that it could stick if it was left parked for so long with the brake set? We were told that the second owners had the camper for 7 years and only drove it 4 times.  My plan Tuesday is to grease the slides on the four calipers. My brother told me that the hanger bearing could be froze and causeing the growl I hear between the two seats. Will have the check that. I got a month to get her road ready. 

Dan,

I just rebuilt my ZF brake. You can get rebuilt ones on ebay, or do it your self. The brake shoes might have separated. If thats the case, Allstate Bearing in San Antonio TX. has the parts cheap. They have a great web site and are even better on the phone.

I ordered shoes and seals to do mine for about 35.00. When I did it I found I needed bearings. They had them to me overnight for a reasonable fee. ( less than 24 hrs.)

Back to yours, If the sound is in fact coming from the ZF brake, change out the shoes and you should be good. If you see any signs of leakage from the seals do that too. The unit only holds 4oz of ATF and if it goes dry, BIG PROBLEMS. Don't overfill the unit! Dont drive with the brake on! These will cause seal failure fast.

If you have any questions let me know! :p

Steve

One thing to note: If the vehicle sat for years without  being driven, and  has HYDRAULIC brakes, the master cylinder is likely not long for this world.

While shopping for brake parts, look for a replacement master cylinder, DO NOT BUY (YET) But know where to shop when the time comes.

Steve, was yours on a Ford chassis? I was looking at a manual that was in the camper. It shows pulliing the whole assembly apart then the close tolerences on the shaft. Do you have to pull that much apart to do it? If you do, what about the tolerances?

Yes, mine is a Ford. You don't have to pull it apart to do the shoes. At most drop the drive shaft if even that.

As far as tolerances, They are tight but there is no shimming involved. If you need to do seals, order both Bearings and all will be good. You will need access to a press to re-assemble. I took mine to a buddy's shop and did the whole thing in an hour.

The shoe on these do tend to separate, Lining falls off. Mine were pitiful. I wouldn't have had to do the seals if it weren't for driving with parking brake on.  ::)

And like I said , the guys at allstate gear are great!

Steve 

If you need to do seals, the whole unit comes off and gets completely disassembled. Be gentle with the speedo gear it's plastic.

Steve

Steve, I worked on the service brakes. 4 new calipers and pads. Drove it after pulling on the lever at the parking brake to make sure it is released. I drove it home and still heard the noise. The drum was too hot to touch. So I assume I should be pulling that off? I checked the fluid in the brake. It was full and chocolate milk colored. Do you think I should do more than just pumping out the oil and replacing shoes?

I would inspect it carefully for leaks when you get the drum off.

Otoh. If a bearing fails in that unit it will likely trash your granny. So another 70 bucks for bearings and seals is cheap insurance.

I have read where a bearing failed in some of them and the weight of the coach twisted the output shaft of the tranny. It will take a plasma cutter to get it off the shaft then.

Thanks. I called the local Ford dealer for a little info on the brake. The parts department gave me the part numbers. I asked to talk to service and the guy there told me that it was a non serviceable unit. He said I have to replace the whole unit. Boy he must Think I am wearing the idiot sign. Why sell the internal parts if you can't service it. So how is it all state gear is that much cheaper for the shoes. Ford wants 365 for the shoes. I know does would be more but that much? Some ones getting rich.

Yep!!! I went through all that research too. even found a co. on ebay that sells rebuilt brake assy. for $850.00 

The best bet is as I said! the cheapest by far. Call Allstate Gear they are super helpful and waaaay cheaper.

Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm gonna go bond some more with the adventure. It is definitely living up to its name. I'll let you know how I make out.

Well, I bonded with the adventure. The whole unit is on the bench. The shoes are chewed up a bit. Gonna replace them. I just can't get that giant nut off. Didn't see any fluid leaking any where. Just what came out of the tranny. My concern is I had to put the tranny in neutral to spin the drum thinking I was gonna just do shoes. When I spun the transmission one way, it dragged. Harder to turn than the other way. It still spun the same with the drum off. Any ideas? Gonna call around Monday for help with that big nut.

It sounds like you may have a bad tail shaft bearing. I'm not knowledgeab le enough to be of much help on that, but it should be smooth and pretty easy to turn.

So that would be pulling out the tranny?. Nuts.... I'll have to give some people around here a call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom