Just got new rv home and need help troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonedoc05

Its a 1998 pace arrow vision 36z.  Not sure how long it sat unused, but it appears it was sitting for a long time. 

Here is my list of problems:

1.  Dash a/c didn't work , but we bought a recharge kit from auto zone and now its blowing pretty cold. How cold do those things get?
2.  Couldn't get any of the 110 ac stuff to work, but as of an hour ago it mysteriously began working.
    Not sure what I did to get it working other than continue to tinker with everything (flipping breakers etc.) 
3.  apparently the previous owners had a cat or dog and we are trying to shampoo carpets, but will need to at least replace recliner. Not sure we can get that odor out, its not horrible, but I don't like the smell.  Any suggestion where to find good deals on couch, carpet, chair?
4.  The front overhead a/c blows cool for a bit, but then goes warm and the light on the control panel goes from "on" to "shed".  What does that mean?
5. The rear a/c unit won't do anything.  It clicks but thats it.  any thoughts?
6.  The back up camera was stolen, the wire is still up there and so is the bracket.  What should I do there?  The monitor seems to work great.

Should I pay Camping world 230.00 to go thru everything and tell me whats wrong?  There is another local rv place I can check with they might be cheaper and friendlier.  Also can I get it serviced (oil, tranny, etc) at a local truck repair place or should I use the aforementioned places?

Thanks for all the info.  This site has been a huge help so far.

Overall we love this unit.

bonedoc05 said:
1.  Dash a/c didn't work , but we bought a recharge kit from auto zone and now its blowing pretty cold. How cold do those things get?
It should be putting out pretty cold, at least down into the 60s. Put a thermometer into the vent and see exactly what the output temp is.
2.  Couldn't get any of the 110 ac stuff to work, but as of an hour ago it mysteriously began working.
You might have turned the invertor on. You have three sources of 110 volts in an RV. Shore power, generator and the invertor. The inverter converts the 12 volts of the house batteries to 110 volt.

3.  apparently the previous owners had a cat or dog and we are trying to shampoo carpets, but will need to at least replace recliner. Not sure we can get that odor out, its not horrible, but I don't like the smell.  Any suggestion where to find good deals on couch, carpet, chair?
Goodwill. You don't need to get RV specific furniture, just make sure it will fit in the door.
4.  The front overhead a/c blows cool for a bit, but then goes warm and the light on the control panel goes from "on" to "shed".  What does that mean?
5. The rear a/c unit won't do anything.  It clicks but thats it.  any thoughts?
It sounds to me like you are trying to run the A/C on the invertor, which isn't going to happen. Either start the gen and try them or plug into shore power and then see if they work.
6.  The back up camera was stolen, the wire is still up there and so is the bracket.  What should I do there?  The monitor seems to work great.
Buy another backup camera. You should be able to find one online.
Should I pay Camping world 230.00 to go thru everything and tell me whats wrong?  There is another local rv place I can check with they might be cheaper and friendlier.

Personally I would not do that. I would find a mobile mechanic via Craigslist and pay him to come to you and do the inspection.
  Also can I get it serviced (oil, tranny, etc) at a local truck repair place...
Yes you can and that is a good choice.

Overall we love this unit.
Pace Arrows are great RVs, you should love it ;D

I think Tom hit the nail on the head.

Your dash A?C should act about the same as a car A/C. Sounds like you did good there!!!

Find a mobile RV service, call a local campground for recommendations. He will go through everything with you  usually for a decent price. and will answer a lot of questions too. The one on one is more of what you need.

The House A/C, The set up you have will shed power if there is too much draw to keep breakers from tripping. sounds like the rear unit has a problem and is causing front unit to shed. try to run only front and see if it stays on. Rear may have a bad start capacitor or be locked up .

Clean the carpets and furniture real well and let the RV air out for a few days. I did tear out the carpet in mine and put tile. Not a hard job to do. took wife and I  2 days and cost $200.00. There is a thread on here I started with pics. I will look for it and send you a link. You can see what yours would look like. Our units are nearly Identical.

Truck repair shops are the way to go for chassis service. RV shops only do house stuff.

Steve ;D

Load shed means the the energy management system (EMS) has detected an electrical overload (too many amps) and has shut off the a/c to prevent you from tripping a breaker. The EMS tries to keep total load within 30A (your available shore power). It has nothing to do with an inverter (you may not even have an inverter and even if you do, the a/c is not connected to it).

Ah, sounds like progress!!! What kind of 120V electrical connection did you succeed in finding?? 30amp?, 30amp converted down to 15 or 20 amp etc.

So I don't duplicate others answers I will jump in here: RV cameras.

Many have found the following company helpful: www.rvcams.com/ - United States

Try and sort out which camera/monitor system you have and call these guys. You may be able to get away with only purchasing only a replacement camera if the monitor is ok.

Air Conditioners: Have you spotted any switches marked 'Front, back' or something similar? Many 30 amp capacity RV's have such a switch to select either the front or the back AC unit as they cannot run both at one time on shore power. In other cases, the back unit may be wired directly to the generator so that both can then be run simultaneously when using the genny.  Someone with a better knowledge on this subject can jump in here....

If you are not too intimidated by it all, continue your own inspection and call it a learning experience. You have done a good job so far in identifying the working/non-working stuff.

We cleaned the carpets really well yesterday.  Other than pet smell it looks pretty good.  I will look at the tile post, I like that idea. 

I turned the rear unit off yesterday and the front unit ran good, although it seemed to get warm after a bit.  I will check it again today.

My new plan is to get rv serviced at truck place and then service the generator my self and I have found a guy in Portland TN who travels to my area and I have sent him an email and will call him tomorrow and have him come and check a/c units.

Can you get a adaptor for shore power since we don't have 30amp service?  At any hardware store?

Go to a janitorial supply store and get odor eliminator.  I put some in a spray bottle and spray on areas that smell.  In fact I sprayed all the carpet and cloth upholstery with it, don't get it wet though just light spraying.  Ours had a smell, not pets but from just sitting for a long time closed up.  I left it open and every few days would spray and it smells good now.  I use it on carpets when renters move, though now we are about all tile.

Also washing your front curtains and wiping down walls and everything will eventually help.  I like pinesol and Murphys Oil Soap for wood or paneling.

Doubt you will find one at a hardware store. But Ace Hardware does have a RV section and might have one.

Walmart maybe, or camping world online

Walmart should have a 15 to 30a adapter. Sounds like you are making progress. Dash air should maintain at least 20 degrees below ambient temp and most will give 30-49 degrees below ambient at the ducts.

Nothing like learning on the fly.  I will check Walmart this afternoon for adapter.  Not giving up on carpet yet.  Tile project will be great for this winter.

Should I grease the slides? If so, with what? White lithium grease?

Captsteve, what size is that tv up top in the front?  Does the lower one still work?  How would I find out if this rv has an inverter? 

If I run in to any of you guys on the road, I will offer free chiropractic adjustments for all the help!

The rack & pinion slide gears do not need any grease - the grease just catches dirt and causes problems. If you want to do a bit of lubrication on them, use a dry silicone spray lube, but it really isn't necessary.

The TV up top in front, I measured the center door up there and bought one that fit the space. Used the old door hinge and mounted TV to a piece of plywood. The old TV still works but is coming out as soon as I get a chance to build a cabinet to fit there.

Your Inverter is located under the fridge. Yes you do have one!

Steve

Regarding pet odor.. You might try Fabreeze (TM) I've used it on some assorted odors and that stuff is amazing.

Adding baking soda to your carpet shampoo mix (And using it on the recliner) may help too.

Dash AC,  I look for 30 degree drop between inlet temp and outlet temp, the actually standard is way more complex and takes not one, not two not three but FOUR thermometers and a hydrometer as well,, And it's described fully in automotive A/C manuals,, But the easy way is to look for ambient -30. Or 40 degrees, whichever is HOTTER. (IE if the incoming air is 90, look for 60, if the incoming air is 60, look for 40)

That is after 10 minutes on high.

The good...Spent time with water lines today.  Put a whole house filter on the line for the house water coming in.  Got that installed no problem.

Front a/c unit is working great.

Awning is perfect and works well.

Still some liquid in the grey and black tanks.  Maybe that means we wont have the dried pile of poo the bust loose.

The bad...some cracked PVC lines between the house water inlet and the water heater.  Began repairing but ran out of time before church.  Man it's tight in there.  Should have that repaired after work tomorrow. 

The rear a/c is still clicking, but that's it so I will leave that for someone else unless you guys have ideas on where to start and what to check.

Looks like the ice maker line is unhooked and the actuator that allows water up to the ice maker might not be working.  The line in looks clogged with dirt. 

The bad...some cracked PVC lines between the house water inlet and the water heater.

The water lines are not PVC but PEX in most cases. Should you have to buy some that is what to ask for. The normal installation uses a special crimping tool on the fittings but you can buy hand-tightened fitting , no tools needed. Ace Hardware carries some of them, so do Lowes and Home Depot among others. SharkBite is one make, Flair-It another I believe. (Ordinary hose clamps do not work well as the tubing is too stiff).

For good measure, put a few gallons more water into the tanks and let it soak.

The Icemaker may or may not be dead. It's cheap to replace the line to find out. the way those lines run, the reefer kinda heats them up and they fail. PO might have just not replaced the line. I would try it.

Is your parking spot anywhere near your meter can for the house? If so Its super easy to drop a 30 amp circut and rv plug out the bottom. Then you can run both A/C at same time and do pretty much what you want including use it as guest house for company.

If this is a possibility, I can walk you through it. It's single phase just like an extension cord.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom