Remove Sofas from Slide Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marylou

We are new RV owners. Does anyone know if we can remove the sofas from our RV?  It is a 2004 Terry Quantum 365FLTS 5th Wheel. The sofas are in each slide out. Thanks for your opinion.

I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 36FRS park trailer with a sofa/dinette in the slide.  I was able to remove my sofa and replace it with a comfy reclining love seat.  I had a queen sleeper sofa that was unusable due to the layout of the camper.  It wasn't bolted down or attached in any way, though.  It was designed to come apart nicely to get it out of the camper door.

Any sofa in an RV can be removed. :) The question is "will there be anything available to fill the spot"? If your slide out has a flat floor when extended, it shouldn't be a huge problem. If the floor is not flat then the replacement needs to fit in the vacant spot of the elevated floor.

We have an "elevated" floor in our RV and I would love to replace the existing sofa. Our choices are limited due to the very short depth (about 18") that is available to mount a replacement.

You may have to disassemble the old one to get it out of the RV through the door. If the replacement won't fit through the door, you can remove a large window (hopefully there is one big enough!). RV windows are pretty simple to remove - they basically just clamp to the sidewall.

Marylou said:
We are new RV owners. Does anyone know if we can remove the sofas from our RV?  It is a 2004 Terry Quantum 365FLTS 5th Wheel. The sofas are in each slide out. Thanks for your opinion.

I reupholstered all of the furniture in our RV. Most RV furniture is designed to go through the main door. To check, measure the height of the sofa from the floor to the top of the arm rest (Not the back of the sofa). If this measurement is the same or slightly less than the door opening then your furniture will go out through the door.

It will mean that the higher back of the sofa is removable in some way. Usually a push fit or screwed onto a bracket from the base of the sofa. If you cannot see a bracket, then gently pull the back of the sofa vertically from the base, it should start to move away from the base. In order to make sure, first unscrew the sofa from the base plates that fix the sofa into the slide out, then pull the sofa free so you can get behind it to check.

Our Damon Daybreak has two sofa's, one with a back screwed to brackets (Behind the front passenger seat) and one with a push fit into place back (Behind the drivers seat).

Attachments

• damon interior1.jpg
    damon interior1.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 307
  • damon interior2.jpg
    damon interior2.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 272
Marylou,
Welcome to the world of RVing.

As an RV furniture dealer, we get your question a lot.  Jim touched on a few of the most common issues , but most RV owners change out their sofas with Recliners, preferring to have two cozy chairs in lieu of an uncomfortable and never slept upon sofa.

If you have a flat slideout, you generally have more depth, and thus, more options like Ottoman, Euro Recliner footrests or the ability to recliner further back without a need to adjust the Recliner's placement.

A raised slideout restricts these options due to the depth they maintain. At the moment, we are actually removing an Easy Bed (aka J-Lounge) from a Class C motorhome"s Raised slide to accomodate two Stressless byEkornes Euro Recliners. Because the slideout's depth is only 30", we are framing an extension in metal, which will be wrapped plywood, hinged to the slideout, and wrapped in carpet to not only avail the owners a space to rest their Ottomans at the same level as their chairs, but also a draw bridge of sorts which will keep their chairs from falling over on the road when the hinged platform is locked in its upright position.

Before exploring what's available, measure the space you have to work with and the slideout style you have. Also note whether the sofa is there to conceal something, like wiring or a ventilation / heating system. Lastly, bear in mind that most sofa removals will force you to patch the floor below, after the bolts are removed.

Good luck and congrats on your recent purchase.

I removed my sofa from the slide out and installed a computer desk. The sofa came apart in pieces and was held together with screws. I put and add on Craigs List and $400 later it was gone.

Most of the sofas have lag screws that hold them in place. The bolts are used for the seat belts. Silicone can easily fill those holes.

I'm curious what the OP finally did about this.  We are in the same situation...a 2007 Fleetwood 365FLTS, and we REALLY want to replace the loveseat in the front living area with recliners.  The front slides are small, and the floor is "raised" where the slide is.  Is it even possible to put recliners in this type of 5th wheel?  We HATE these sofas, they hurt our back.

Sure you can remove those. I have even extended the slide and covered it with new flooring just so the owners can have recliners. Add a couple of photos so I can see your situation. Thanks, Ernie

We're in the process of a remodel and we have removed our sofa.  We are replacing it with two Euro recliners with ottomans that we bought from Overstock.com.  They have separate ottomans so they would fit most slides.

Also look at the outside of the slide.  My Arctic Fox 26x trailer has outside storage doors that allow the spaces underneath the sofa and the bench dinette seats to be used for outside storage.  If I removed the sofa or dinette I'd have to either cover the hatch doors so they're not visible from inside the rig or remove them completely.

I took out our love seat sofa, and replaced it with a computer desk that I built to fit the spot.  I also pulled out the dinette and put a table and chairs.

ROUTE 66 RV said:
A raised slideout restricts these options due to the depth they maintain. At the moment, we are actually removing an Easy Bed (aka J-Lounge) from a Class C motorhome"s Raised slide to accomodate two Stressless byEkornes Euro Recliners. Because the slideout's depth is only 30", we are framing an extension in metal, which will be wrapped plywood, hinged to the slideout, and wrapped in carpet to not only avail the owners a space to rest their Ottomans at the same level as their chairs, but also a draw bridge of sorts which will keep their chairs from falling over on the road when the hinged platform is locked in its upright position.

I have the same problem! Could you please upload a picture of the extension you are making?
Thank you!
Jess

We have a 2008 fleetwood providence.  We really need the second couch,  in lieu of 2 black recliner euro chairs.  Anybody want to trade,  or know who does?  Willing to pay a well
I attached a picture of what is desired

Attachments

• 6172548_12.jpg
    6172548_12.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom