"Trashing" your 4x4 on the trails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
You know the leader trashing his jeep like that doesn't seem as silly as all the others lined up behind him waiting their turn to do the same to theirs. ::)

(I know, I just don't understand how much fun it is!)

Jeff said:
You know the leader trashing his jeep like that doesn't seem as silly as all the others lined up behind him waiting their turn to do the same to theirs. ::)

C'mon now, Jeff.  It's like getting your new baseball marked up by hitting it.  It may not look as nice afterwards, but it's doing what it was meant for. :)

Jeff said:

I totally agree with Jeff....this "leader" with a beautiful Jeep (same color as mine) trashing his ride looks stupid to me.  If he had a beater, then fine, but brand new.....nah.....

Wendy said:
Maybe I didn't look close enough, but I didn't see any "trashing" going on.

Well, we don't know if the ruby red did a forward somersault or not... probably not or it would have been publicized more widely...

Hi,
The red Jeep wasn't close to somersaulting and I'll bet you couldn't see a difference between before and after. Although he may well have scratched the txfr case skid plate.
These are amazingly capable vehicles built to do just what it was doing.
Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,
The red Jeep wasn't close to somersaulting and I'll bet you couldn't see a difference between before and after. Although he may well have scratched the txfr case skid plate.
These are amazingly capable vehicles built to do just what it was doing.
Ernie

Absolutely!  Not sure if we drug our skid plates or not on the Waterfall, but it was a way fun obstacle - your nose seems straight down, you slide down it at a certain point since the tires don't have the traction to keep you stationary, and then there is a sharp turn to the left.  Wow - what a rush.

If you were a newbie, this obstacle would be a bit terrifying.

not like it can't happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=8WBMTfLQtE8

but, if you're careful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXQjW8wMjc&feature=related

There's some big 'Ouch'es. What liability exists for the spotters or the folks who attempted to recover the vehicles that subsequently overturned?

Tom said:
There's some big 'Ouch'es. What liability exists for the spotters or the folks who attempted to recover the vehicles that subsequently overturned?

I don't know.  I've thought about that several times... if the spotter makes a mistake it could be expensive... OTOH, the driver can't see very well at times...  even if you exit the vehicle to look, you need to "memorize" the route you select, since you cannot see it... usually you are going very slowly...I guess you develop a "feel" for the terrain in time...as Ernie said, even a stock Jeep can do most trails...witness the G. Cherokee... looked stock to me.

I learned about the "Brake Lock Differential" BLD, recently.  Not sure when it was introduced but probably after the advent of computers... wheel sensors, etc.

Here's a video, that demonstrates what it does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnspBtA1HU

some think this system is primarily responsible for the climbing performance of the jeeps without lockers.  It's standard on all JKs.

I split off a bunch of posts from the "Let's see pictures of your 4x4" since we were drifting OT - it is a great topic though!

Our LJ Rubicon comes with Trac-lock (or whatever they call it) which provides limited slip for the rear diff.

FrontrangeRVer said:
I totally agree with Jeff....this "leader" with a beautiful Jeep (same color as mine) trashing his ride looks stupid to me.  If he had a beater, then fine, but brand new.....nah.....

I like the bumper sticker I see on some off road vehicles.....Not too pretty to get dirty.   We subscribe to this  philosophy.  Gotta jeep?  Use it! 

But I know what you mean about those lovely new ones and not wanting to damage them. 

Why would you buy a Jeep if you weren't going to take it 4-wheeling, get it dirty, maybe add some Arizona pin-stripping? That's what it's for, isn't it?

Tom said:

Oh, that's what they were doing. I thought they were pushing them over to watch the excitement!  ;D

Back
Top Bottom