EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Plugging Car Inverter into Trailer TV (DC) recepticle  (Read 1295 times)

Mr Bojangles

• ---
Plugging Car Inverter into Trailer TV (DC) recepticle
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
PROBLEM: (mating & De-mating into TV- DC Receptacle.)
With Two different “Car Invertors” (DC to AC), one purchased at Circuit City, the other at Radio Shack, I have difficulty mating and de-mating the plug into my “TRAIL-SPORT” TS19RDB’s TV DC receptacle. 

Under warranty, I returned to complain to dealer. It was explained to me that this receptacle is not designed or intended to have this type device (Car Inverter) plugged into it.
As part of the process in evaluating (understanding) this problem, I have tried the “Inverter plug” in a number of other trailers (manufactures) and have the same difficulty.

Many of the personal at dealers “Parts Departments”, seem mystified with this problem, and were as confused as I was…..

Could this be the case…? Car Inverters are not to be plugged into this outlet Receptacle?
Will plugging Car Inverters into these receptacles cause damage?

I would appreciate any comments or help one could offer.

Suggestions offered:
1)   Modify (sand plastic) plug to go in easier…. (though will make it loose in car cigarette lighter receptacle).
2)   Replace trailer manufactures receptacle with new one purchased in trailer Parts department (parts man demonstrated it becomes easier with this part)

Please give inputs,
Thanking all,
Jim O
SAFBVET    Jim O
28 trips out.... 88,000 Miles -S  to Key West, SW to Gulf...w to Texas, NW Oregon, across Canada.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Plugging Car Inverter into Trailer TV (DC) recepticle
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:45 AM »
There are several designs for the plugs that go into the sockets, Some of these do not really work all that well in some sockets (either lighter or "Accessory") and there are several differences between a lighter plug and an accesory socket, most notabley the clips at the bottom of the lighter plug.

Sometimes using an adapter plug and a rubber band will fix it,  You want a socket doubler type plug (you can use these anyway) and plug the inverter into the doubler, rubber band it down (that is an accessory socket unless you get the one model of doubler I've found which has a genuine lighter socket) and plug the adapter into the accessory socket, this may work better.

These devices can well be a PITA (Pain in the Anatomy)  Better to use a totaly different wireing method for inverters (Direct hard wire, Use anderson power poles if you plan on moving from vehicle to vehicle, these little beauties can take up to 40 amp loads (or larger if you get the big ones) and that inverter is at the most 20 if it's plugged into a lighter socket)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network