Reminds me of when I was growing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

We're staying at Canyon Bonito RV and Fishing Club (South Colorado - Conejos River). As I get to know the owners (Al and Lisa), this area reminds me more and more of when I was growing up. For example; they hosted a party for residents (park only has 14 spaces) Saturday night. About half way through the night his 11 year old son drove up with his 7 year old daughter and two puppies in the car. The next day, I walked down by the river and saw the kids and two friends (same age) swimming fully clothed (it's hot here); no chaperons in sight.

The kids ride their bikes all over without layers of protective gear; drive the tractor and four wheeler, etc.

Lest you think these are just backwoods folks; Lisa teaches math and science at the local high school, Al and his brother (whose wife teaches at the local college) own 1.3 miles of the river, 600 head of sheep, 200 head of cattle, etc. etc.

Its just a laid back community where kids can hunt and fish or fend for themselves all day without anyone thinking anything about it. As I recall, we all survived growing up that way and I'll bet they do as well.

Ernie

What a great story.  Sure wish all of today's kids could experience that sort of life.  I had so much freedom growing up and tried to give our kids as much.  Living 3 miles from civilization helped in that respect, as they had acres of fields and woods to romp in.  All of them have wonderful memories of that time of their lives.

Daisy

Back
Top Bottom