Towing a mini van behind a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry you all have talked me out of a double tow.  I am just trying to figure out somethings.  It really helps to hear other experiences and suggestions.  We are defiantly going with the TT/5th wheel with a truck that will seat a family of 6.  Right now, all kids are in car seats/boosters which take up space.  I don't foresee us spending tons of time in the truck.  We will park the RV for months at a time.  If we need something fuel efficient maybe we can get a cheap car/wagon to drive.  I think we will need a 4x4 no matter what and my dream van might not work and it has a high payment.  In the bigger picture, an RV is REALLY my dream vehicle.  :) 

jdavis3152003 said:
truck that will seat a family of 6

Good luck... they are there, but probably on the high price end (super crew cab or the like) for something with much space.

jdavis3152003 said:
I think we will need a 4x4 no matter what

Why?  Not saying there isn't a reason, I'm just curious as to what that reason is.

jdavis3152003 said:
my dream van might not work and it has a high payment.

Then you SHOULD get rid of it.  Going into that much debt for a car that constantly loses value is just that... a losing battle.  Try to save up and buy vehicles mostly or all in cash if possible.  My wife and I have done it with our last several cars as well as the RV (on my single average income and 3 kids) and don't regret it a bit.  Much less to worry about as you go on your travels!

The reason we will most likely need a 4x4 is because 2 or the 3 places we will park the camper will be hard to get in and out of if it is wet or icy.  We will be parking on land owned by friends.  We don't plan to do any parking at a campground...to expensive.  But on the upside, we will have loads of firewood, garden space, and animals to hunt.

scottydl said:
I don't believe the OP was considering using the minivan as a tow vehicle, but rather trying to figure out any way to bring the van along on camping trips as a toad... or get rid of it altogether in favor of a pickup truck for a tow vehicle.

To the OP... the pickup might work okay now as a daily driver, but as those kids get older I think you'd certainly want the added passenger space of a van or 3-row SUV.

I should have mentioned it in my original post but... that van cannot be towed 4 down either... just a heads up.

Carl L said:
Do you already own the minivan?    The reason I ask is that a Ford E series van, an E-350 window van,  is quite a good vehicle for a TT and can haul a batch of kids.  'Bin there, done that.

Yep....get rid of the dream van, and get an E350 or equivalent passenger van.  Great kid hauler and great tow vehicle.

What about an Excursion?  I was considering one of these before we bought the van but wasn't sure it was smart at the time for our gas budget.

jdavis3152003 said:
What about an Excursion?  I was considering one of these before we bought the van but wasn't sure it was smart at the time for our gas budget.

A diesel Excursion would definitely do the trick, and the gas model probably would too - depending on the TT you choose.  The trick is finding Excursions with reasonable mileage... they stopped being manufactured a few years ago, and are popular enough that not too many of them are out on the used market.

A top-end suburban (with the certain powertrain combo that was mentioned earlier in the thread) will also do it.  My cousins tow a large bunkhouse TT with theirs.

I wasn't thinking about something when I asked that, we are going to go with a 5th wheel, so Excursion is out.  Opps.  I can't seem to find a TT with any storage space.

jdavis3152003 said:
I wasn't thinking about something when I asked that, we are going to go with a 5th wheel, so Excursion is out.  Opps.  I can't seem to find a TT with any storage space.

Depends on your definition of "any" storage space.  Start a new thread in this Trailers/Fifth Wheels category asking about TT storage, and I bet you'll get some responses.  Click the "Search" button above and look for past threads discussing TT models with the most storage space and you may find some useful results there too.

Nothing unsafe about a double tow (two trailers). Made a good living with a 3500 DRW/GN trailer/trailer for years.

It legal in all the states around me and is very common.  Lots of folks even tow tripple combo's (ex; 5th wheel trailer/boat trailer/PWC trailer) especially during the summer months going to one of the many COE lakes .

I double towed a 26' 5er with a 3500 lb boat for eight years. With the same truck trailer  I also towed a full size older 4x4 Bronco behind the 5er to CO/NM/TX/OK/KS during hunting seasons.  I allowed no one in the 5er or Bronco while on the highways.
However a 3/4 or one ton van/SUV pulling a TT may work better for your situation.

Does anyone have a link that shows the laws on double towing?  Now I am wondering if we can pull a small enclosed trailer behind the 5th wheel.  Maybe a 5x8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom