Honda The Best Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also suggest a wrangler..... convertible, safe, 22-25 mpg , awd etc

Our 08 wrangler unlimited has been trouble free for the 68k miles we have owned it plus 16k being towed behind our RV.

Its my wife's daily driver...... she doesn't allow me to go play in the mud

2KViggen said:
I also suggest a wrangler..... convertible, safe, 22-25 mpg , awd etc

Our 08 wrangler unlimited has been trouble free for the 68k miles we have owned it plus 16k being towed behind our RV.

Its my wife's daily driver...... she doesn't allow me to go play in the mud

I will not be buying from a company that took bailout money.  I really wanted the Ford Escape 2013 to be the one.  Too bad their transmission is not 4-down friendly.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The Ford Edge is still towable, as are several other models.

I believe the Edge was taken off the towable list. 

Used data from last years model to write book.

ChinMusic said:
I just got back from Honda after looking at a new CR-V. The dealership said that the CR-V was NOT flat towable for 2012.  I just read the 2012 Dinghy Guide and it says it is.

I was then looking at a 2013 Ford Escape and they said that model was not flat towable either.

I'm totally bummed and back to the drawing board.

We just got a 2012 CR-V this past week.  Our dealer was very much aware of it's popularity as a toad.  As noted, the owner's manual is clear on the procedure for flat towing.  It seems like a very nice all-around SUV.  We traded an older Ford Explorer that was flat towable but heavy and a gas guzzler.

Just need to get the base plate and AF1 installed and wire it for lights.

We also bought a 2012 CR-V for the reason it IS towable.  We traded in a car that had to be trailered.  When we went to our Honda dealership, the salesman instantly knew the CR-V and Fit are towable....seemed like it was something that was common knowledge in the Honda community.  I love the CR-V, and it has been a cinch to tow.

ChinMusic said:
I will not be buying from a company that took bailout money.  I really wanted the Ford Escape 2013 to be the one.  Too bad their transmission is not 4-down friendly.

It's amazing how many people say that & want "American" thus they shop Ford.  I do not plan to buy a GM product for myself not just due to the bailout crap but mostly what they did to SAAB. 

Ford makes some great stuff!!  I personally cannot stand anything that comes from Honda.... just to boring (even the NSX & S2000 lack a soul)

Fiat has made some nice moves with Jeep......

That's cool that a Ford hybrid is towable, didn't know that. We do miss the 2005 Prius we had before we went fulltime.

We have towed a 2009 Honda CR-V (base model) since we bought it new, with no problems. It has had over 40,000 miles driving and half again that many towed. We like it a lot, but it isn't the quietest ride we've ever had. Lots of road noise.

Icemaker said:
Just my 2 cents here...
I was told by my Honda dealer [and if memory serves me the owner's manual] to always start the car and place it in drive then to neutral and shut off the engine but leave the key in the switch to keep the steering unlocked..
When I asked why I was told going from reverse to neutral w/o going to drive left some thing-a-ma-jig engaged and was detrimental to the health of the transmission ...so that's my technique and so far so good.
Understand my CRV is a 99 and I'm 65 so that may help in excepting my story... :p

George

Your memory is pretty good!.

A letter Honda sent me says to shift all the way down to 1st and then back up to neutral and run it for three minutes. Shifting from park to neutral leaves part of the transmission in reverse and they say that is a bad thing.
I have towed my Honda Accord over 70,000 miles with no problem.

I have included a copy of the letter for those that might be interested.

02/22/02

Dear customer:
Regarding your inquiry on towing your Honda or Acura automobile behind a motorhome:
For your vehicle, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 m.p.h or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.
We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda/Acura automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Manual Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
? Release the parking brake.
? Shift the transmission to Neutral.
? Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (1) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.
If Honda/Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
? Start the engine.
? Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
? Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off engine.
? Release the parking brake.
? Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures.
NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (1) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.
CAUTION:
Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the car is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.

NOTICE:

Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be on a flat bed truck or trailer.

If you tow a Honda/Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Although experience has shown that the Honda/Acura transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed", America Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.
If you have additional questions, please call American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (National Consumer Affairs) at 800-999-1009.

Tom:
  I have heard that you can't tow a newer model Acura MDX (I think after 2006).  The forum article you referenced seems to indicate that might be the case.  Do you know weather a newer model (2011) Acura MDX is flat towable? Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I don't have current info, but I seem to recall that, at some point, Honda came out and said "not towable". Hopefully someone else can better answer the question. I know that several forum members tow or towed the MDX, but I don't know which model years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom