Wood burning stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdavis3152003

Can you put a pipe stove or a wood burning stove in an RV?  It would be cheaper than propane and probably warmer.  I have been told you can but wanted to hear from someone who has.  Some that we are looking at have those cheesy electric fireplaces and I think if we take that out, there would be room for one.  Not to mention you can use the top as a cooking surface.  We will be off griding it and won't have hookups.  That is why I ask.  The place we are considering has mild winters but still would like to be toasty at night especially with young kids.

For 35 years we heated our home with only wood burning stoves. No question, once you experience the "warmed to the bone" you will love this type of heat.  But, no way would I want it in my MH! I won't even have a candle in ours. The gas stove, furnace and water heater are enoughof a possible fire hazzard. We are currently in NH and the "cheesy" electric fire place was used this AM to take the morning chill off. Did not have to bring an armfull of wood (messy) in.  Don't have to shovel the ashes out.  Don't have to find a dry place to store the amount of wood one would need to supply a stove.  The cost of rebuilding the interior of the MH with non combustable material, if possible. Finding an insurance company to insure the MH?  The normal hazzards that go with wood heat all make the idea very impractable.  Buy a good fire ring and keep the blaze outside.  Just my thoughts.

We did not want a "cheesy" electric fireplace, either, but our new rig had one in it and we could not be happier with it. It has a light only feature or true heat, and it will run you out of the coach with the fan running.

Here on the Oregon Coast, at 48 degrees last night, it's a welcome addition. In our old rig, we used an oil filled electric radiator, and it was nothing compared to this baby.

As long as we have electricity, we have heat! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Can you put a wood stove in an RV? yes

Have I seen it done? yes

Should you? not in my opinion - too big a chance for something to go wrong, IMHO.

I don't think it would be cheaper to have a wood burning stove. The problem is you have to buy the wood burning stove. I don't know what they cost, but the cost of running a propane heater is not that much and I think it would take a lot of propane savings before you would see a savings. And of course you would have to cut a hole in your roof and get the stove vented properly, which is another expense, whether you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it.

And then there is the matter of convenience. I just got up and flipped a switch and I have heat. I am glad I didn't have to walk outside and collect wood and then start a fire. Once the RV is warm I can turn the furnace off. With a fire place the fire will burn long after the RV is heated up. Plus I have the convenience of a thermostat that keeps the RV just the perfect temperature.

Look at marine catalogs.  There are small wall mount stoves used n boats.  Some are coal.  These are designed for small space heating.  A wood burner stove in the general market are way too big for an RV. 

As to the practicality?  I am not sold on it, but there are reasonable alternatives.

Well I only considered it because we already have the small stove meant to heat a tent (100sf).  Where we will be there is no electricity so we will have to survive off propane which can get costly....and we will have an abundant supply of wood.  So really, if it is possible, it would be ideal for us.  I will keep researching it.  If anyone else had input I would appreciate it.  I am also looking into solar power so that could be an option to power the RV.  I don't want to do anything unsafe.  :)

Considering how flammable the materials in an RV are, the last thing I would want is any kind of wood fire inside.

In our area, a lot of wood burners are installed outside and the heat is piped into the house.  Could you do something like that to minimize the danger and the mess?

I wonder how much your insurer would increase your rates - if they didn't drop you entirely!

Here's a previous discussion on the subject.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=51404.msg476791#msg476791

ArdraF

http://www.go2marine.com/product/20010F/newport-solid-fuel-heater-00-newsf.html

These are used on boats, would require a hole in ceiling/roof for flue.  briquettes or wood. 

When I was younger our family had a sailboat with a small wood burning stove. It was lovely for heat, but required constant attention because of the small area in the boat. One time someone put too much wood in before bedtime and some interior caught on fire from the heat. (No major damage thank goodness.) You also had to be careful not to accidentally touch it... Something to consider if you have small kids with limited space.

Your best bet would be a pellet stove. They are small, efficient, and put out a lot of heat. They run off of hardwood pellets or shelled corn. The fuel comes in 50lb bags and is sold in most hardware stores. A 50lb bag costs about $4 here in MO. If you are running wide open it will last a couple days.  The flue is 2 1/2 to 3in I.D. It is double walled and cool to the touch. The flue can be run horizontal for up to 3 feet I believe. They put out almost no smoke. So you can run it out of a window. The stove has to have electricity to run. It is forced draft. If you lose power the fire will go out in a minute or two. Im thinking about putting one in the back of my toy hauler.

Ned said:
Considering how flammable the materials in an RV are, the last thing I would want is any kind of wood fire inside.

I agree. Every stove I've ever seen has strict clearance restrictions to "combustible materials"....that's almost the definition of an RV. They are nothing more than dry kindling and hardwoods on the interior.

Consider a diesel,fired heater.  Espar webasto type.  .3 litres per hour and 2.5 amp draw, those numbers is for unit running on maximum. 

For some folks wood burners make good sense, these are folks with a lot of wood.

(Google song: More Wood)

HOWEVER for the RVer, not so much.. Now 40 years ago you could load up a couple hundred pounds of wood and head for the campground, but today,  Unless that CG is very close to home, no can do, Due to the Pine Beetle, The Emerald Ash borer and other pests (Like the Ag department) there are quarenteens in place dang near everywhere and if you get caught carrying "Bark on" firewood... Let's just say the fine can be serious.

And there are several stories of folks who have been caught.

THUS you have to buy wood when you get there.. And truth be told Propane is cheeper.

Back
Top Bottom