WAS MY MERCEDES SPRINTER DAMAGED PRIOR TO DELIVERY?????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karsty

I recently went to the Mercedes dealer to have a headlight bulb replaced. It was under the warranty so what the heck ... let them do it. While the technician was removing the plastic cover over the headlight assembly in the engine compartment he pointed to that one of the clips holding it on was broken. No big deal I figure I'll get my regular dealer to replace it.

While I was watching him replace the bulb I noticed some white "goop" had been painted over the screws securing the hood bracket and fenders together. I also noticed this same "goop" seemed to be painted into the seams of the engine compartment around the fenders and firewall. Now this got me to thinking if maybe this vehicle had been damage at some point and repairs made prior to delivery to me????

What do you think?? See attached pictures.

Attachments

• Underhood screws 1.JPG
    Underhood screws 1.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Underhood screws 2.JPG
    Underhood screws 2.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 89
Federal offense to do that.  So I seriously doubt any reputable dealer would run that risk.  Looks more like standard assembly sealant to me.

Karsty, go to a Sprinter dealer and have them show you another Sprinter to verify factory protocol.

I don't blame you for being suspicious.  That will solve the puzzle.

carson said:
Karsty, go to a Sprinter dealer and have them show you another Sprinter to verify factory protocol.

I don't blame you for being suspicious.  That will solve the puzzle.

Thanks Carson ... I did plan to do that when I go there for the next service. I also plan to stop off at the RV dealer and look at another ERA on their lot and compare. Just seems a little sloppy to me ... and just a little too suspicious. If I find out that my sprinter was indeed damaged I will have to consider legal action unless they are prepared to come to the party and discuss replacement with a new unit.

I agree Donn ... but it just looks so sloppy a job. What if you have to remove the hood and brackets ... sure makes it more difficult having to peel away all that sealant. I am so suspicious of this dealer. I don't trust them at all. I even cancelled a number of warranty repairs and fixed them myself after ordering the parts from the various manufacturers. How's that for having faith in an RV dealer??

If there is anyone else out there with a newer Mercedes/Sprinter chassis maybe you can look at yours in the meantime and let me know what yours looks like??

Thanks

Karsty

I just got back  from the Mercedes dealer. Told them of my concerns and we checked out a couple of new Mercedes Sprinters on the lot. To my surprise they were all finished the same as mine. Relief on one hand. Surprise on the other.

Relief that my ERA was not previously damaged and repaired; surprised at how poorly Mercedes finishes under the hood of their vehicles. Looks like pretty poor quality to me ... considering it is a Mercedes.

Thanks everyone for you comments.

Karsty

Back
Top Bottom