In Memoriam - Joe Akins - Wildflower Scramble 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
Betty Brewer passed some sad news along to me earlier today that Joe Akins was recently killed in a motorcycle accident.

Joe, and wife, Kathy, were newbies to the Wildflower Scramble last year from Artesia, NM, and everyone oohed and aahed over their new Super B Freightliner. He had a few months to retire from an oil production company and they hoped to enjoy the road and explore caves and wear out their cameras.

Joe was especially fond of catching little critters on film and they were really taking some amazing pictures. Tremendous spirits and good cooks, to boot!

We can all be reminded how fragile our time here on earth can be and the importance of living our dreams daily, as Kathy and Joe were doing. They were a wonderful of example of the Framily we all meet at rallies and other events and why we should try to maintain those contacts as best we can on the road.

It was far too short time a time, but thanks for the memories, Joe!

Here are  first time rally attendees Joe and Kathy Akins at the Marble Falls portion of the Wildflower Scramble in  April of 2011.  Being a newbie to rallies, Kathy brought  3 delicious  items to the  potluck.  As  you  can see they were having a good time! 

In another photo Joe (second from right) was among the Award winners during an activity one evening.  Who even remember what for?  All were having a grand old time.  Happy memories.

My heart goes out to Kathy and hope and  pray she will somehow have the  courage to continue in the RV adventure. 

Betty

Attachments

• IMG_9087.JPG
    IMG_9087.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9228.JPG
    IMG_9228.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 57
How sad. And a reminder not to put off the things you want to do. Time is short.

Wendy

Ken and I never had the pleasure of meeting them but based on the pictures that have been posted they look like they had fit  in with the  forum framily.  Our thoughts are with her and we hope she knows that this group cares.

Sheila

We never had the pleasure of meeting him, either, but as Sheila indicated, the picture says it all.  Those two really enjoyed the lifestyle.

Tom's big, strapping, outdoorsman, brother died too quickly in 1997 from the same brain tumor (glioblastoma) which felled our RV Forum founder, Ed Juge. 

In some ways it was his gift to us.  We never took a moment for granted from that time on.  He would have so enjoyed sharing the 115,000 miles we put on our motorhome.  Do it now, guys!  You may get tomorrow, or maybe not.

Margi

And Ron, Kudos to you for hosting  such a RVForum rally.  All of the events in our life that connect us seem to have much more significance than we might know in  the moment. Certainly Joe and Kathy had fun at our rally and now I hope our RVForum community can support Kathy as she sorts out her next phase in the RV world.

May we all be reminded to live our dream daily!

BB

Thanks for posting the picture, Betty.  Jim called and told me.  I just could not put names with faces, but the pictures put all in perspective.  I only talked to them briefly.  Sorry it wasn't more.  Just too much going on and so little time.... :)  Our hearts do go out to Kathy as she sorts out what her wants and needs will be.  Time will help her do that.  But for now, may she find peace in knowing so many of us are thinking of her, feeling her sorrow, and wishing her well while she gets through this ordeal.

Daisy and Fred

It saddens me every time I read I read about the loss of a Framily member.

Some folks may not be aware of the memorial page we maintain to remember members of our RV Forum framily who have passed away - here. Click on any photo to read a brief tribute to the individual. Please let me know if you see any errors or omissions, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom