2001 bounder questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilbo67

I'm looking to buy a RV soon and have been drawn to the fleetwood bounder years 2000-2002 34-36ft. I like the looks of the Bounder and it's in my price range.  My question is what engine size is more preferable and chassis. I'm looking at gas only as the diesel is out of my price range.  I have a friend with a 36ft south wind and it's with a for chassis. He said its all over the road? Is there a difference in handling between the ford and Chevy chassis?  Is there a year better than another from 2000-2002? Thanks and I appreciate anyone opinions.

Bilbo67 said:
I have a friend with a 36ft south wind and it's with a for chassis. He said its all over the road?

If it's all over the road, there's something wrong with it. We have a 2000 32H Bounder with the Ford V-10 and it handles great and much more stable than the 1994 Fleetwood product we used to have on the Chevy P30 chassis. Any gas class A motorhome is going to be affected by wind and big passing vehicles somewhat, but in my experience, I like the straight axle under the front end.

There were actually three different chassis used in those years: Ford, P30 "Chevy" (actually part of Workhorse) and the Workhorse W20/W22. The P30 chassis has a 7.4L (454) engine and GM4-speed Hydramatic transmission,while the Workhorse Wxx has the 8.1L (496) engine and an Allison 5 speed transmission. The Wxx is superior in all regards, though it had an ugly recall for a brake problem that took ages to get corrected properly.

The Workhorse Wxx became available on Bounders in 2002 and each model was offered with either Ford or Workhorse chassis. In 2000 and 2001 I believe only the P30 and the Ford were available. I would take the Ford for 2000/2001 but the Workhorse for 2002.

Thanks Gary for the response. On the 2002 model 8.1 you were talking about is that the year with the brake problem?  As far as handling what do you think as far as 34-36 ft models? Thanks

The Workhorse W series had problems with the Bosch brakes for several years and the early "fixes" turned out to be less than perfect. I had a 2002 and the initial recall fix worked on mine, but some people had to have theirs done multiple times. I would assume that a 2002 had the recall(s) applied by now, but its something to have checked before buying.  Despite that, in 2002 the Workhorse W chassis stood head and shoulders above the Ford F53 and it took Ford 3-4 years to catch up. Major pluses include the Allison 5 speed tranny, stronger & more rigid frame, a lower "doghouse" over the engine, and a chassis rail design that permitted storage bays about 30% larger than the same rig on a Ford chassis. We bought a new gas coach in 2002, so I researched them all thoroughly!

But all of that doesn't make the other two chassis bad. It's just that Workhorse made a leap forward and had a competitive edge for a couple years.

Thats some great info. If I went with a 2002 Bounder 34-36ft does it handle better than the Chevy chassis on the road? My original post said my friend had issues with his ford chassis Fleet wood different model swaying on the road and bouncing a lot. He did the sway bar thing but still complains. He said at that time they had tried out the Chevy chassis but him mom chose the ford because she was use to Fords. He said he felt a difference in ride and handling? Sorry if im being repetitive but if I was looking for years 2000-2002 sounds like I might want to narrow my search for 2002 Chevy chassis because of the technology at the time? Is this what you would suggest? thanks again for you help

I have Bounder in this vintage with the on the W22 at 36 ft 11 in it's just about as long as any gas motor home should probably be.  My previous coach was a P30 30 footer and the 37 foot bounder is WAY EASIER TO DRIVE.  The ride is much smoother, far less body roll on corners and such and even though my current rig is 7 feet longer with a slide out, and weighs tons more (Literally?) the W22 has more power.  We test drove some Southwinds with Ford chassis in the same vintage and the power and ride didn't even seem close.  As usual Gary is probably right, Ford probably caught up a couple of years later and the rolls reversed as they tend to flip flop when competition is that tight.

Jeff

You guys have really helped me with my decision. thanks again for all the help! I actually have the 8.1 and Allison in my 2001 Chevy 2500 Truck.  The Tranny is really cool and the engine is powerful for my truck. Yep it uses a lot of gas but that is to be expected.  What could I expect on avg flat land hwy use for miles per gallon with 8.1 and Allison on a 36footer say?  Ive never figured it out in truck but I know it likes to jug it down fasts...

Just went 2500 miles and got 8.52 mpg average at that size all stock except for the shocks.  That is in the west going from the Palm Springs area to northern oregon coast then home again along the 101.  lots of mountains going up 395 too. 
Not towing though, id expect to loose some mpgs with a car back there.
Jeff

I live in California and know the route your talking about well.  I plan on using the rv primarily to go fro Ca to Montana it's a 2600 mile round trip. Thanks for the mpg it's pretty much what I'd figured.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom