Antenna Feed to Bedroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fuquatj

Here come some dumb questions!

Bought a used 5th wheel last fall (2004 Coachmen).  Has the typical Winegard antenna on top.  In the living area entertainment center there is quite a nest of antenna cable wires.....none were connected to anything.  Actually.....the wires are like this......from the hole in the paneling there are two coaxial cables coming thru with the screw end connectors.....there are two other coaxial cables that are connected together to make a loop (when I pull on these they don't feel to be connect to the other two.  There is also a Winegard faceplate connector in the wall between the entertainment center (where the TV and radio or component boxes would go) and a small two door cabinet next to that.  The Winegard faceplate has connectors to screw on three cables and an on/off switch and about a 3/4 inch round hole or button on the other side.

My problem is this......I have fiddled with these wires many times, and can get good antenna TV reception on the living area TV.  But.....I cannot get any antenna feed to the front bedroom TV.  I've tried all combinations of these cables.....tried all combinations of connecting them to/from the Winegard thing.  To no avail.

I will also mention that the trailer must have had a top-mounted satellite system at one time.  There is a sealed plate on top of the trailer that says "Winegard" that looks to be a dish or dome mount.

If anyone can make sense of my wiring description, do you have any suggestions.

Thanks

And from this I can infer that none are labeled.

The easiest thing I can suggest is go to Radio Shack and get a coaxial pinger and hook it ot the wire ends and start looking for the signal on other wires. ( put pinger on bedroom cable and look for signal in your nest of wires.)
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1423&sku=13138
They run about $100.00

The Cheap way is to hook a nine volt battery up to one end (pos. on center wire, Neg. on shield)

Then look for the power at other end with a meter. (make sure wingard amp is off!)

Steve

Question: Can you access the ANtenna cable on the back of the rear TV?

Your 3 cables in the box are most likely.

1: Rooftop antenna
2: Park cable inlet
3: Rear TV

Now... Using an ohmmeter measure the resistance, center wire to sleeve, on each cable, you should see two high impedeance, one (I think) low.

Note which is which

{Place a short (A clip on the center wire to the nut) on the TV's cable, you should now see one of the high impedeance cables showing a short or near short.

With the face place held to the 12 volt outlet is at the top and the connectors on the back point down, Looking at it from the back, connect THIS cable to the RIGHT side.

Remove the short and re-connect to TV.

Now move to the park cable inlet.  If the other high impedeance cable now shows short, hook IT to the center connector.

That leaves you one to go.

One of those coax is probably left over from the satellite set-up and I suspect that the others were modified while the dish/dome was in place. That "loop" is especially suspicious.

The typical set-up would have been a splitter right after the Wineguard wall plate, dividing the output coax feed between front and rear tvs. Or a single feed into a video switch box, which functions as a splitter as well as a switch.

You can use a regular ohmmeter o find which cable runs to the front to connect with the rest of the entertainment gear, but you need a long wire to help out. Use the long wire (with an alligator clip at each end) to reach the forward end of the coax with one meter lead, then the other meter lead will reach the rear ends of the various coax. Just test for continuity to the copper wire core in each wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom