Campsite Grilling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin1959

OK, I'm new to this whole RV thing , starting to get the things I think I will need and am wondering what you all use for grilling once you land at campsite/destination. Thanks in advance for help !!

Anything from a single malt scotch to a beer will do.  Depending on the size of the piece of meat being grilled, it may take two....... :D

Seriously, I'm usually standing in front of a Weber Baby-Q when "grilling".

We have one of those LP gas grills that hooks directly to the LP tank built into the MH.  This is our third one as we have been using them since 95 when I bought the first coach.  For the ''purest'' they will use nothing but charcole but I find the gass grill is very handy and after a couple beers, the food tastes the same over gas or charcole to me.  If you buy one get the ''heavy duty'' one that is made from cast aluminum.  The ones made from pressed tin just dont hold up as I see it.  We also bought one of those collapsable tables to set the grill on and we use a couple of 2 x 2 sticks on top of it to space the grill up for air circulation underneath.  Mine fits very nicely in the side stowage right over the LP tank. 
this is just my opinion and yours may differ.......cj......

Have you hugged a Vet lately?  Be sure and say thanks for your service....... Lets not forget our Irake freedom troops also.....cj....

Weber Baby Qs seem to be the most popular campground grills where we travel - at least my observations while dog walking say they are. I also see Coleman Road Trip grills and a variety of others. We used a Road Trip for half a season, decided it was a piece of cr**, and switched to a Weber Q120. Liked it so well we got rid of the big grill at our stick and brick and bought a 120 for there.

We use the gas grill that came with the trl and it and a small table hook on the side of the camper. I know that there's quite the controversy over the use of grills under the awning and hooked to the side of the camper. If used properly and at proper heat setting I've not had any issues with doing this and no discoloration of the awning either.

A chrome flat grille, sitting on the campsite large metal grate, over a wood fire. When we can't build a fire I use a hibachi type.

Weber Q120 with folding stand and vinyl cover.  I use it at home 3-4 times a week and bring it with us on camping trips.  Easy to use, easy to clean.  Love it!

Coleman Roadtrip for us.  I really wanted the Weber Baby Q, knowing the quality and performance of Weber.  The heat output was not enough though.  If I remember correctly, I think the Weber came in at 12,000 btu's, the Coleman is 20,000.  Much nicer for searing.  I also like that on the Coleman we can take off one or both grillings grates and put on a cooking grate and set a frying pan or pot on it. 

O-Grill, and love it. We usually hook it to the built in propane tank, but sometimes use the bottles.

As for gas, there are only 3 choices.  First, the $20 Wallyworld Special that bakes instead of broils, don't go there, it is throw away after a year and just doesn't do a decent job! Second is the Coleman, which has the advantages outlined above, but is more cumbersome, and despite its greater BTU Rating doesn't do as good a job searing, but a good choice nonetheless.  Third, and one we heavily recommend in the Webber Q, either 100 or 120.  It is the best BBQ I have used.  We use the one pound throw away tanks, each lasts 2 to 3 weeks, Qing 4 to 6 times a week.  It is a bit heavier than the Coleman, but that is likely because the grill is thick and heavy, yet I think that is what makes it sear so well.  The only thing it took getting used to was that it needs to warm up longer than a full size BBQ.  As for using charcoal or open fire, it tastes so good, but is just not worth the hastle.

Ed

It depends on your wants and needs. We currently use the Coleman "PerfectFlow" tabletop portable - it grills steaks and chops nicely and it's small. Fine for two people and can handle 4 in a pinch. The Weber BabyQ is a better grill, but larger and heavier and we don't really need it.

http://www.coleman.com/product/perfectflowtrade-portable-grill/2000004121?contextCategory=27110#.T-x2wZGqZrY

If you grill for a larger crowd, a bigger grill is nice. And if you use the grill for breakfasts and other types of cooking besides burgers/steaks/chops, a grill with a griddle or side burner can be handy.

We prefer grills with porcelain-coated iron grates. The heavier iron grates cook better than steel wires and the porcelain makes for easier cleaning.

We mostly use the 1# bottles but also carry a larger tank (5#) for extended use. We found that "tethering" the grill to the Rvs main tank was too restrictive in location.

Coleman Roadtrip adapted to my MH propane tank.  That way I don't need those little bottles or the grill size one.  I like the Roadtrip for its size when cooking and when storing.  I also love the removable grills.  Happy grilling.

Hfx_Cdn said:
  As for using charcoal or open fire, it tastes so good, but is just not worth the hastle.
Ed

Maybe this question should be a new thread.  How many cook meat on an open fire?  Or, how many choose gas over charcoal when using a grill?

My preference?  Open fire first, charcoal grill (Weber) second, restaurant third.  Bottom line.

We are seasonal, so we have room for a few options.  For regular meals, I use my Weber Q

Sometimes we cook our steak on a nice hardwood campfire with the grate from the Weber Q on top, see steak.jpg below.

My neighbour also has a firepit made from a old 400 lbs propane tank.  There are 3 doors that open to see the fire from different angle, but also a lid that flips open.  Because the grate is 2 feet above the coals, it's best used for things that require to cook for a while like chicken.  In chicken.jpg, we are cooking 2 chickens cut in half.

Attachments

• steak.JPG
    steak.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 147
  • chicken.JPG
    chicken.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 128
Marc L said:
My neighbour also has a firepit made from a old 400 lbs propane tank.  There are 3 doors that open to see the fire from different angle, but also a lid that flips open.  Because the grate is 2 feet above the coals, it's best used for things that require to cook for a while like chicken.  In chicken.jpg, we are cooking 2 chickens cut in half.

I'm trying to lose weight!  Lost almost 30 lbs since starting my new job!  Stop sending pics!  ;)

We use the grate on the firepit.  We sanitize with the fire and then take a wire brush to it.  If a grate isn't available, we use a tri-pod.  90% of our food is cooked over the wood fire.  Even an occasional frozen pizza. The best tasting steak is cooked over wood.  My second choice would be charcoal. 

There are about a thousand different grills out there and I suspect we use most of them.  Webber is very popular, I have a coleman road trip, When it finally dies I will try something else.

I also have a thing that goes over the fire pit.. Again there are assorted versions of this, Mine is a tripod.. Some have a pole that sticks in teh ground with a grill mounted on a swing arm.. I'm not sure which is better, for cookng over ano open fire.

Coleman Roadtrip for us. I have a few complaints about it but overall, it's a nice grill and does a good job. I've also been known to throw in our full size propane grill when we're camping with a large group.

Back
Top Bottom