Campsite Grilling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to share something about cleaning the Weber Q series grills.  When I first got my Q120 I searched various sites for cleaning ideas and found that many people put the grate in their oven and use the self cleaning setting to burn the crud off.  DON'T DO IT!  It will ruin the coating resulting in rusting of the grate. 

We LOVE our Coleman Roadtrip.  I find it VERY easy to clean.  I just wait until it cools off then since there are two small sides to the grill, I just bring them into the sink and use a nonscratch scrub pad to clean them.  Our sink is small and it still works great.  They still look like new (although admittedly it's only had a couple weeks of use so far.)  We're a family of 6 so we have 2 grill pieces, 2 griddle pieces, and so far one stove attachment which I've yet to use.  I love the griddle.  We're big pancake fans and it's awesome to cook outside and make 6 pancakes at a time for my large family.  I haven't tried it yet for eggs (since my kids aren't big egg fans) but I look forward to making some awesome omelets on our next trip.  Maybe some fried potatoes too--too messy for me on the stovetop, but outside would be great. 
I only wish it had come with the cast iron grill and griddle.  I bought the seconds in aluminum too since I wanted them to match, but would have prefered cast iron. 
I can't imagine what the negatives are people mention.  I haven't found any yet.  It took one night to get used to the flame being so close, but now we've adapted.  It's heavy but so compact.  The fold up stand isn't as stable as I'd like, but so far is okay.

I just noticed that I identified mine as a Baby-Q in my first reply.  I forgot that I decided on the Q-120 at the last minute when I went shopping.  I like the Q more every time I use it.  It would be nice if it were a little more compact for carrying in the MH, but I wouldn't give up either the grill surface size, or the ability to grill a large  piece of meat with the lid closed, just for a smaller package.  The cast iron grill is awesome for holding heat.

Wolf Pack Fan said:
Now I'm gonna try something altogether new.  Well, new for us.  A lot of others may already do it this way.  We picked up a Lodge Logic pre seasoned cast iron griddle yesterday.  Flat on one side, ribbed on the other  Holy cow is it heavy.  We've had the camp chef 2 burner for years that we got when we first started tent camping.  That things puts out insane heat at 60,000 btu's.  It was semi retired to the garage loft when we got the Coleman Roadtrip, but we're gonna try using it with the griddle this weekend, camping at Eagle Lake.  I figure since we don't use briquets, the flavor of cooked meat isn't going to be much different from the cast iron griddle to the aluminum grates on the Roadtrip.  We'll see when we cook up the ribeyes tomorrow night.

UPDATE:
The Lodge Logic griddle worked great!  I put one end of the griddle over a 30,000 btu burner and heated it to 550+ to sear the steaks.  After they were seared I moved then out of the high heat area and finished them.  They were perfect.  Bacon was next on the flat side and it came out great also.  Last item cooked on it before we left was some chicken thigh's that also came out good.  Clean up was super easy.  I highly recommend this griddle to anyone that's ever considered it.

My only complaint about our Q is that it isn't tall enough to do a beer-butt chicken....the bird just can't stand up with the lid down.

Wendy

Wendy said:
My only complaint about our Q is that it isn't tall enough to do a beer-butt chicken....the bird just can't stand up with the lid down.

I always considered that a waste of a good beer anyway. :)  I prefer my beer cold and my chicken roasted with Lowry's Seasoned Salt and Rosemary.

I like to do chicken in the slow cooker with a bit of BBQ sauce on it.

I mean it is sweet (BBQ sauce is mostly sugar) Smokey (Sauce again) Tangy (Likewise) and falling off the bone after about 4-6  hours in the slow cooker.. NEVER over done.

We have one of the huge 3 burner stoves from Cabelas that we love when we have a lot of food to BBQ.  We've been just the two of us working in Texas and so we bought the Weber Q and absolutely love it!  I don't know what I'll do when we're with a group again and bring out the big grill... :eek:

Mikie

John From Detroit said:
I mean it is sweet (BBQ sauce is mostly sugar) Smokey (Sauce again) Tangy (Likewise) and falling off the bone after about 4-6  hours in the slow cooker.. NEVER over done.

If it's falling off the bone, then it's overdone.

gkas said:
If it's falling off the bone, then it's overdone.
Probably true, but with any meat, there is the proper way to cook it and then there is personal preference of the person eating it.  That's why with steak, restaurants asked you how you want it cooked.  My brother-in-law makes the cooks mad because he orders filet mignon extra well done.  When I cook ribs, I make them fall off the bone, I know it's overcooked, but I like it that way, so that's how I cook it.

4-6 hours in the crockpot and it will be falling off the bone and it won't be dry. That's one of the great things about a crockpot.

Wendy

I got a question for you grill pros out there. I'm new to this but I've recently gotten a little bit more time on my hands and I've started trying to bbq a lot more and I'm loving it! So my wife is allowing me to buy a new grill because she's getting into it too. anyways i'm not sure what to get and I've been looking around a lot. I found this website http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-bbq-grill and I'm loving the Weber Genesis E-330 model and i've read a lot of reviews and they all seem to be good. what do you guys think? any suggestions?

Just Lou said:
Anything from a single malt scotch to a beer will do.  Depending on the size of the piece of meat being grilled, it may take two....... :D

Seriously, I'm usually standing in front of a Weber Baby-Q when "grilling".

X2 on the Weber Baby-Q...fits nicely onto the rolling cart which fits perfectly in the storage bin...

quensimp said:
I got a question for you grill pros out there. I'm new to this but I've recently gotten a little bit more time on my hands and I've started trying to bbq a lot more and I'm loving it! So my wife is allowing me to buy a new grill because she's getting into it too. anyways i'm not sure what to get and I've been looking around a lot. I found this website http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-bbq-grill and I'm loving the Weber Genesis E-330 model and i've read a lot of reviews and they all seem to be good. what do you guys think? any suggestions?

My personal opinion is that you cannot go wrong with the Weber Genesis series.  We had one that lasted 17 years,  They are expensive but they are worth every penny.  Those el-cheapo grills that you buy for $89.00 to $189.00 are not worth the money.  I saw one in the landfill in Santa Cruz that had to be only a couple of years old as the propane cylinder looked brand new.

quensimp said:

The Genesis E-330 model doesn't appear too practical for camping.  The Q series is perfect for carrying in my old Bounder.

I'm a bit prejudiced since Mike is the Weber rep for the 4 Corners area but I LOVE our Webers. We have a Genesis on the patio that stays home and a Q in the motorhome that is arguably the best RV gas grill. And Consumer Reports just listed 2 different Weber models as the best gas grills. Fast heating and a 10-year warranty plus beautiful grill marks, and it's so worth the cost.

Wendy

Wolf Pack Fan said:
I pulled the trigger on a new grill, now if it will just ship I'll be happy.  It's the Char Broil Grill2Go Infrared.

I bought the same one but have not had the opportunity to use it yet.
Did I mention the queen forgot to pack the pork chops?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom