Campsite Grilling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BinaryBob said:
I bought the same one but have not had the opportunity to use it yet.
Did I mention the queen forgot to pack the pork chops?

I cancelled the order for the Char Broil X200.  Amazon was taking way to long to ship it.  I ended up going to Lowes and picking up the Weber Q120.  I'd heard all the good things people said about them, but I really wanted infrared.  Now that I've used that Q, I've gotta say I love it.  Have done steaks and chicken on it and they both came out perfect.  Wasn't sure about the level of heat it would kick out, being only 8500 btu's.  It seared perfectly and has the perfect heat level to put a frying pant on top of the grate and cook bacon in it.

Mike should be happy, just bought a Weber.  Well, it was a Yard Sale, but looks like it may have been used about 3 times.  We have a nice stainless steel gas grill, but charcoal is just a better base taste.  Gas is great when you need to do it now.  Good to have all the tools.

We 'inherited' a Coleman kettle grille from former inhabitants here, in nice shape, but it had no lower vent holes.  Just never seems to be really a good heat.  I will pass along the Coleman to others here. 

I have been reading all of these and I think when I get a new grill (Next Year) the Webber Q120 is what I will get.  The grill we have now sucks if the wind is blowing.  I can't remember who makes it.  It has a porcelain Garnet red top, black bottom, one burner and folding wire legs.  It replaced our charcoal grill.  We found many campgrounds required you stow the grill when not in the site because of bears.  The charcoal took forever to burn down to the point we could something with it.  Now in many state and fed campgrounds in NM will not let you use charcoal because of the extreme fire hazard caused by the drought.  We also have an older two burner Camp Chef that I love for pan cocking outside.  I set the grill on a folding grill table and Camp Chef on its legs with a 5# propane bottle that has the bottle adapter that lets us run the two and has the straight pole that we put the propane lantern on top.  This makes for a nice cock station.

I was just about to buy a Weber Q grill, until I discovered that it is too tall to fit in the storage bay where I wanted to keep it. I got an O grill where the legs fold up. I've used it for about 13 weeks of camping, and have been very happy with it.

Joel

I guess I will just stick with my Cast Iron 1958 Hibachi that I brought back from Japan back then.

Lee

M1894 said:
I guess I will just stick with my Cast Iron 1958 Hibachi that I brought back from Japan back then.
Lee

Trade ya...

I use the Weber Q140 Electric.  Ready to go in ten minutes, sears steaks and cooks chicken evenly.  I did not want to have to carry additional propane or clean up coals.  This thing gets as hot or hotter than my gas grill at home.  Small but can easily cook for 4.

There are several Weber Q models. The first one we got was too tall to fit in the storage bay so we took it back and swapped it for the smaller one that fits just fine. We don't have the flip out side tables on the small one but it's not a problem. Only thing I don't like about it is that you can't do a Beer Butt Chicken in it, not tall enough for the chicken to stand up.

Wendy

Wendy said:
There are several Weber Q models. The first one we got was too tall to fit in the storage bay so we took it back and swapped it for the smaller one that fits just fine. We don't have the flip out side tables on the small one but it's not a problem. Only thing I don't like about it is that you can't do a Beer Butt Chicken in it, not tall enough for the chicken to stand up. Wendy
Wendy, we've had this discussion before.  I personally find the Beer-Butt chicken highly overrated.  There are superior techniques that can be used with any grill. 

I use the Q120 and find it's the best portable grill I've ever used (and I've been grilling shore lunches on fishing trips for more years than I care to remember).

It's all a matter of choice.

Ok, Lou, give me a chicken recipe for the Q. I've got a whole chicken in the freezer that I'd like to cook this weekend. And, no, I will not cut it up. :)  But I gotta agree with you that the Q is a great little grill.

W.

Wendy said:
Ok, Lou, give me a chicken recipe for the Q. I've got a whole chicken in the freezer that I'd like to cook this weekend. And, no, I will not cut it up. :)  But I gotta agree with you that the Q is a great little grill.

LOL Wendy,  I'm not much on recipes.  It's techniques that I was referring to.
To cook a whole chicken on the Q, I DO have to cut it down the back bone and butterfly it suspended over a very small cast iron skillet (drip pan of water).  I guess you could also fill the pan with beer. :)
I usually don't go to all that trouble though.  I usually buy my chicken in selected skinless and boneless pieces and parts.

The Q has earned a spot on my back deck along with my larger patio Grill from BBQ's Galore and my pork smoker.

Drivmsafe said:
Coleman roadside grille.
The Coleman Roadtrip Grill came close to restoring my respect for Coleman products, but after using one on a few occasions, I decided that it was just too big, heavy and bulky for my limited RV storage space, and my grilling requirements.  It does appear to be a good compromise between most tiny grills and the larger patio grill.

Oscar Mike said:
Trade ya...

It's due for another sandblasting and re paint, but is still works better than anything else I've tried in the past when I was looking for something lighter and easier to clean.  [Sand Blast, re paint with stove black, make one fire up, then next time cook on it.] No chance I'll be trading it in anytime soon.

Lee

Wolf Pack Fan said:
Wow!  I bet that's one well built grill to hold up that many years.

Yup! It's heavy cast iron, and only needs a sandblasting every 3-4 years and a stove black tre4atment.

Lee

O god... not the battle of the bbq's again....  :eek:  Coleman Roadtrip of course!  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom