Finally picked up the Dutch Star I bought last August and have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brysondrive

Hi everybody, I joined the forum late last year as I bought a 1997 Dutch Star in Pheonix ( ebay )last August , not could not pick it up and drive it home until a month ago, I live in Northern Canada ( Yellowknife, Northwest Territories ) about 600 miles south of Santa and at the end of  the road.

I asked a few questions at first and found this forum very informative, frieindly, with really practical advice. This is our first RV and I know absolutely nothing about them, driving was a real treat and really easy, much to my surprize.We had a great drive back and really enjoyed the trip ( approx 4000 miles).
Now some of my current questions, these are probably the easy ones now.

When I picked up the 'rig'  I was hoping the dealer would be able to walk me though things and show me how to start the genset, fill the water, empty the sewage, where the fuel fill was, etc., but as it turned out, the main guy had gone to a sale and all that was left was a young guy that had only been working there for two weeks and did not know a whole lot. It was easy to get a whole bunch of operational things sorted outas they were pretty straight forward. But I have some switches on the dash that I really don't know what they are for:
- one switch has three postions marked the  markings are HIGH MED LOW, I thought maybe they were for high speed idle for the diesel, but not so. The switch is located at the top right hand side of the dash, any ideas??
- below above switch is another one labelled OVERHEAD DEFROST I am guessing it is for the a/c, is that right?? If so when does a person defrost??

That is my first list of questions, the RV is in really good shape it had only 59000 miles when I bought it.

Thanks for your advice
Ric Bolivar

The switch labels sound more like fan speed and on/off switches. Do you have fans mounted on the upper corners or center windshield area?

Wow, what a quick answer. Yes I do have fans but the just plug into the lighter and those other outlets that look like lighters.

The switches are rocker switches and match the others on the dash, like the driving lights and air horn switches.

Sure it's  not heater or A/c switch.  Best thing to do would be to take a picture of it and post it here.  Some of these people here would recoginze it in a hurry.  Good luck.

Ric,
Our 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire has similar switch's. One labeled overhead fans is located beside one with hi/med/low label. If the one  labeled overhead fans is turned on air is directed from the top of the ceiling area to the windshield. The hi/med/low switch then allows one to adjust the flow speed of the air sent down against the windshield. Although I have not had the need to use them, I expect that they would be useful to remove "fog" condensation from the inside of the windshield, in the same fashion as, or in addition to a "defrost" setting on the dash heating/ air conditioner system.
WTD

I'm guessing you have ducted overhead a/c, and it's a pretty safe bet that the "high/med/low" switch is controlled by another "on/off" switch, probably the "overhead defrost" switch. Start the engine, switch the overhead defrost on, and try the 3 settings of the other switch. Feel the air outlets near the top of the windshield. You should notice an increase or decrease in air flow.

The possibility also exists that your rig is not set up for overhead defrost (non-ducted a/c), and the switches are there as part of the normal dashboard, but not used. That may explain why there are plug-in fans.

brysondrive said:
I really don't know what they are for:
- one switch has three postions marked the? markings are HIGH MED LOW, I thought maybe they were for high speed idle for the diesel, but not so. The switch is located at the top right hand side of the dash, any ideas??
- below above switch is another one labelled OVERHEAD DEFROST I am guessing it is for the a/c, is that right?? If so when does a person defrost??

That is my first list of questions, the RV is in really good shape it had only 59000 miles when I bought it.

Thanks for your advice
Ric Bolivar

Those same switches are still on my 06 DSDP and control the overhead air on front windshield.

I have them as well on my 2005 Newmar Kountry Star DP.  Havent used them yet but let me get up to 9000 feet this august and I might need it driving at night. ;D

I will also confirm those switches are on my Newmar and do indeed control the overhead fans which I never have need to use.

Bingo!!!!!! My problem is solved.

Thanks to all that answered.

WTD, Karl, blueblood, gasser and Smokey solved my dilema, the swiches operate the windshield defroster, Perfect!!!!

Thanks very much for the quick responses.

Ric
ps. I have a few other questions, but will save those for another day.

Yes Ric, don;t leave us now!  We are like family here, always chatting away and posting questions, answers, and even unsolicited opinions.

Back
Top Bottom