External propane fitting and portable gas grills for Roadtrek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raedmunds71

I have purchased all the goodies to get my portable grill hooked up to the external propane quick connect fitting on my Roadtrek 210 popular and can't get enough gas to keep the grill lit. I am NOT using the proprietory hose that Roadtrek sells for $120. I have a hose and regulator that when hooked to a 20 pound bottle works just great. What I did was remove the propane bottle connection and replaced it with the male quick connect that I purchased from the company that made the female quick connect. Roadtrek told me that the gas pressure coming out of the external quick connect was the same as that coming out of a 20 lb bottle.
In trying to figure out why the pressure is so low I actually removed the female quick connect fitting to see if any gas was coming out of the hose itself thinking that I was having a problem with the male quick connect that I purchased. The result was that if I held my thumb over the opening of the gas line for a few seconds I would get a puff of gas when I took my thumb off. After that there was just a very small amount of gas coming through.
So, the result is that the gas supply coming out of the hose that is attatched to the regulator has a very small amount of gas coming through it.  The guys at Roadtrek won't help because I didn't buy their $120 proprietory hose. I know this sounds dangerous (I had my fire extinguisher right there) but I did light the end of the hose where the gas was barely coming out to see how big a flame there was and it was enough gas to keep a small flame lit and the flame was yellow.  Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks Steve, 
That's what it appears to me also, unfortunately, I looks like you have to remove the rear bumper to get at it. I just purchased this van, it's a 2006 and I would venture to say that the fitting has never been used. I tried tapping on the regulator but to no avail.

The grills that normally are fed using the small (1 lb?) bottles have a regulator built into the grill itself as the small bottles have none. This regulator has to be disabled/removed if you wish to use an external supply like your motor home tank on the regulated side or the 20-30 lb bottles with their own regulators.

Having never disabled one myself, I cannot tell you how to proceed.... Sorry

Try turning off the propane at the RV main valve before hooking up your hose/grill, then once it's hooked up turn the propane back on slowly. There might be a safty valve shutting you off in that fitting. Could be the reason they have a "special" hose....I mean besides the $'s they're making on it.... :eek:

Thanks everyone for your advice. Are there any Roadtrek owners out there that actually has one of these Roadtrek hoses, or something similar that works?

Solved my own problem, I was talking to my brother in-law and he said that if you open the valve to the propane tank to quickly there is a safety feature that shuts off the gas. I tried opening the valve slowly and sure enough I now have a normal gas supply. Problem solved.

Geez, now that I look back at previous posts, I see Water Dog had the solution and I didn't notice it. Thanks for your advice, you were "right on".
Bob

raedmunds71 said:
Geez, now that I look back at previous posts, I see Water Dog had the solution and I didn't notice it. Thanks for your advice, you were "right on".
Bob

Just glad you got it working.

I almost had a new crawfish boiler because of that safety valve...Brother in law was ready to throw his newly bought cooker over the fence when we reset the valve. I may have lost out on a cooker but made it up on eatin crawfish.

raedmunds71 said:
What are  you doing up so early Water Dog?

Since I've retired I decided to keep getting up earlier than the wife (wo is still working) so she doesn't feel bad about seeing me in bed when she has to go to work. The real story, is that I'm just a morning person. This is the best time of the day... ;D

catblaster said:
I almost had a new crawfish boiler because of that safety valve...Brother in law was ready to throw his newly bought cooker over the fence when we reset the valve. I may have lost out on a cooker but made it up on eatin crawfish.

That's the best way....eating them without having to cook 'em.

Back
Top Bottom