lake fishing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

When I am fishing a lake which has both rainbows and kokanee's like Don Pedro, can I use the same set up for both?  I hear all the time to put a piece of white corn on the hook for the kokanee's.  Will this work also for the rainbows?  I guess what I am asking is that since the 2 are so closely related, are they both attracted to the same things?

I haven't view this part of the forum in a long time.  You will need different bait for the bow's, they tend to like different things.  You could try a worm with the corn and get both on the hook or go with a worm and marshmellow to go after the bow's.  Best bet is to ask the locals in the area what to use.  Sometimes the favorite bait is totally different.  Two lakes near me that have koke's, on one you use corn and the other is periwinkles.

Mike

Actually, trout, at least lake living trout, are the least fussy eaters I know of --? bar catfish.? ?The things will eat marshmallows, corn, cheese, stinkbait, worms, grubs and even each other -- that's how Rappalas catch trout, they imitate trout fry.

I don't know about kokanee, but lake trout will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouth. What always worked for me was Berkley Powerbait, little ball on the hook catches them if they are there. For best results, either get the kind that has glitter in it, or get some glitter from school supplies and roll it in the stuff. Also chartruese seems to work the best for me. Corn always worked for me too, but not only is it not legal in some states, it's IS LEGAL in some states BUT resricted in certain areas. Check the states DFG or DNR website to be sure, always. We spend enough money fishing without donating extra. :)

kokanee:  3 maggots and a small piece of cream corn on the tip of the hook, use a VERY light weight and set the hook at the slightest tap.  I have set the hook based on the line straightening out a bit without seeing my pole switch a bit.  They are very light hitters in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom