Cummins Diesel wont start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

173dave

Anyone have this happen? I have Cummins N.W. mechanic coming here in 30 minutes.  :mad:

There are many reasons why an engine won't start.  You haven't given us any useful information to begin helping you.  I suggest you just wait for the mechanic at this point.

Those of us with the Cummins diesel would be interested in the outcome.

Happened twice to me, first time was fuel cut-off solenoid, second time was fuel filters. Solenoid is MUCH cheaper on e-bay than cummins and easy to replace. Fuel filters should be first thing checked unless you just changed them yesterday....let us know outcome...Will

Well, he just left with the ECM to get a new one. He will be back in about an hour and then we will see.

It has fuel, I checked all 100 or so fuses, fuel is going to the injectors. There is no emergency shut off switch.

Anyone want to buy it after its fixed? I am getting too old for this stuff! lol

Ouch Dave. A new ECM for one of the CATs on our boat cost me $2,400 plus labor. I hope he checks out the old ECM before selling you a new one.

BTW CAT sells refurbished ECMs for around $1,800; If Cummins offers a similar option, it could save you some change.

Dave, we are actually having the same problem.  Our MH won't start.  I just got off the phone with Freightliner and they're coming out to pick it up because they think it's the starter.  We checked all fuses and everything else too.  Our's thank GOD is covered under the 3 Year 50 mile warranty. 

Good Luck,
Mikie

Mine is covered by insurance too. Star RV. I should have gotten it towed because they will not pay for the service call.  It was $300 cheaper to work on it here. I live and I learn.  :'(

I didn't think my towing was covered either, but when I checked with the warranty person at Freightliner, they said it is covered!  Whew!  We have to be towed clear across San Antonio!!

Tom said:
Ouch Dave. A new ECM for one of the CATs on our boat cost me $2,400 plus labor. I hope he checks out the old ECM before selling you a new one.

BTW CAT sells refurbished ECMs for around $1,800; If Cummins offers a similar option, it could save you some change.

This is going to cost me around $1,900 including labor for a new ECM. However, once he  puts the new one on, there could be another problem.

New ECM works fine. All is well except we are not going to Yellowstone this year!

I hope he checked the power from the ignition switch.... without 12v from the ignition to the ECM the motor will crank normally but will not fire.

.... once he  puts the new one on, there could be another problem.

Just be sure you're not stuck with a parts changer. The first three mechanics who came to my boat last time around, including one from a CAT dealership, were in a similar mode (replace this and, if it doesn't fix it, change that, then that, etc). I refused to go through the dance and write a blank check. With the help of a friend and forum member, I was able to confirm that the CAT guy had no clue what he was doing.

I finally got the right guys on it, and they were able to check the ECM and also hooked up a special wire harness that eliminated (bypassed) all the sensors feeding the ECM. They also checked and eliminated other potential problems before switching out the ECM. Since I had two adjacent identical engines, we were able to confirm their diagnosis by switching ECMs between the two engines; That's when I was sure that replacing the ECM would fix it.

Back
Top Bottom