95 Pace Arrow starter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

95pace

I found that I have a starter problem after I left for NYC last week on first fuel stop.When I went to start her back up after fueling all it would do was click when I turned the key.I kept turning the switch back and forth until it started up.I then decided not to  shut it off again until I reached our campground in Gettysburg for our overnight stay.When we woke up the next morn the first thing I did was try the starter and she started right up like usual.It seemed that when it gets hot it just quits working ,has anyone else had this problem?It is a Chevy 454 on P30 chassis.

Although I don't remember which engine exactly, some starters get heat soaked as a result of its position relative to a passing exhaust pipe and the engine itself. The cure is a heat shield that will prevent this happening.

Perhaps someone with the exact answer will jump in here.

Well just from my experience. We had a 1990 class c. We thought the starter was bad. It did the same thing you decribed. After a new starter, we checked the ground to the block. It was the ground. Must have loosened over the years. Just a thought and easy fix.

The headers run right beside of yhe starter and that could be  the cause of extra heat,but I have had this unit for 5yrs now and this was the first time  this had happened.I plan on pulling the starter wheever this heatwave decides to leave and have it tested to be sure.

I took starter off and it already had a MrGasket  heat shield on it . I checked cables and found an old melted spot on cble to batt and wire was really corroded.I think this maybe my problem so am replacing the cable and wrapping it and other wires to starter with a heat wrap I bought at NAPA.Will be going on a trip in 2wks,so will get to try it then and see if it will start after it gets hot.

Have the batteries tested while you're at it. Batteries can also get weak when hot.

I had the exact issue with my 92 Southwind (chevy 454, P30) - starter quit when the engine was warm, even driving from a campsite to the dump station less than 500 metres away!

I had the starter replaced and it's been fine since.  Hopefully it stays that way, as I've got a 3-week excursion coming up quick!  ;)

Back
Top Bottom