adding water to tanks while on stabilizer jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flakeyskamper

I'm new to camping. I have a Kodiak 200QB ( two axle tow behind trailer ). I have 28 gal black and 39 gal grey tanks.  I have set up in a CG for first time, on level ground, chocks placed, tongue jack used to level,  attached stabilizer jacks extended to just put a little pressure on the ground. I have read it is best to fill black water tank to at least 1/2 before dumping. But I am on a site with sewer hookup, and am using site supplied fresh water. So I should still fill black tank at least 1/2 full, then dump? And of course save grey water in onboard tank to flush the hose? If so, then will the added water weight put too much pressure on the stabilizers as the axle springs flex under the added water weight? I could use some advise here before I wreck something. Thank You!

Your fine...  :D

I setup the same way. Majority of your weight is on the trailer axles all the jacks do is keep the rig from bouncing or rocking.

So I should still fill black tank at least 1/2 full, then dump?
You can never have too much water in the black tank before dumping. That is what flushes all the solids out. Do minimum half tank, more if you can.

Instead of filling the black tank partially, just add about 5 gallons and use plenty of water when you flush.

Don't worry about the weight, you trailer is made for it. Enjoy your trip and have fun! Dump the tank when its full or when you feel comfortable.

Have a Beer and some BBQ and don't sweat the small stuff!!! ;D ;D

Steve

flakeyskamper said:
I'm new to camping. I have a Kodiak 200QB ( two axle tow behind trailer ). I have 28 gal black and 39 gal grey tanks.  I have set up in a CG for first time, on level ground, chocks placed, tongue jack used to level,  attached stabilizer jacks extended to just put a little pressure on the ground. I have read it is best to fill black water tank to at least 1/2 before dumping. But I am on a site with sewer hookup, and am using site supplied fresh water. So I should still fill black tank at least 1/2 full, then dump?

Yes.

And of course save grey water in onboard tank to flush the hose?

Yes.  I recommend 1 or 2 days worth by leaving the gray tank shut for that long while in camp.

If so, then will the added water weight put too much pressure on the stabilizers as the axle springs flex under the added water weight?

No, compared to the total weight of the trailer it will be trivial.

We leave the gray tank open until the day before we leave and leave the black tank closed until 2/3 full.  Lots of water in the black tank and a simple tank sprayer keep it clean with sensors working.  The sensors would read wrong until I installed the sprayer.

The stabilizers, once down. are very strong, the thing you do not want to do is try to raise the trailer with them, but they will hold it in position rather well. So don't worry about the weight of the water in the tank, they are designed to be set with all tanks (Black Gray and Fresh) empty and then have all tanks filled to the max and people added as well.

As to leaving valves open.

ONE TIME,  Just ONE TIME, I have had a serious odor issue with this Class A I'm in.. Turns out I left a dump valve open,  Closed it, problem solved.

I have 3 tanks, Black, Gray, Wash (Gray2) the front tanks combine to a single outlet and that is run via 3" to the hole in the ground, Since I like to use a support to make a nice smooth run to ground  I keep those closed.

The wash tank (in the very rear) I usually hook up with a garden hose (3/4" Gray) to the flush fitting on the sewer adapter elbow.. Since the hose forms a natural trap (Ends are higher than middle) I leave that one open when connected.

But without a trap, you don't want to leave any valve open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom