What do you know about Personal Vehicle Devices for Handicapped Travelers ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaspers mom

If speaking with you .... front of my computer
Hello, this is Jasper's Mom. 

I have a fairly serious question.  My spouse and I are both retired.  We also have a few nagging disabilities that we decided will not stand in our way of life as we choose it. 

Does anyone have experience with Wheelchair/Scooter type equipment for Personal Mobility?  How do you load it?  Pros's and Con's etc. 

We realize that it may be beneficial to us to place in or upon our RV - Damon Challenger - and I would like any advise that may be available form those that have experienced the use of/convenience of/transportability of ........... such.

This is a wide question.  I did it as such for any insight that may be offered.

Thank you 

Jasper's mom  ??? 

Typos happen.. I'm good at making them, Mispealings... Those too

Now, Damon's doors are a bit narrow for the average Wheel Chair (I drive an Intruder) however several scooters might just fit... I recently purchased a "Cruiser" (I know that is not spelled right but that is how it is spelled) from Direct Transport Products.  Took me forever to get a manual though  Let's see if I can find you some info on it

Cruiser infoCruiser info

This unit turns like a car (A friend of mine in a wheel chair has to learn how to drive it when she uses it) and has a somewhat wide turning radius.  The company makes other products including a 3 wheel cart. 

I think thiese will fit through the door of my Damon (however have never tried it) and they "Break down"  You can very easily remove the battery pack, At this point I can pick it up and load it in my towed vehicle, or you can then seperate the front from the back (power unit) the seat can also be removed (however not on mine, they replaced the bolt) easily, other parts come off easily as well making it simple to load

This is just one example,  With a top speed of 4 mph and an 18 mile range per charge on new batteries and a 260 lb capacity.. I don't know that I recommend it,,, but it gives you an example of what's out there

PS. I did not pay the price on that link... I got it for much less

jaspers mom said:
How do you load it?  Pros's and Con's etc. We realize that it may be beneficial to us to place in or upon our RV - Damon Challenger
Hi Jasper's Mom, following on from John's sensible suggestions, that link to the Cruiser website will also show you how to store the mobility vehicle. You can get a platform that attaches to your vehicle's towing hitch and will carry the mobility vehicle. Here is the link to the page showing all the details and options.
There are other ways to do this, this is just one suggestion.
No, I have never seen, owned or used equipment like this.

I will add that BLUE-OX (they make towbars and stuff to go on them) makes a line of wheel chair carriers that are hitch/rear bumper mounted as well, some have ramps, some lifts, to make loading easier.

In fact several companies are in the "hitch-hauler" business (That is an actuall trademark, their product is an inch too narrow to take my friend's wheel chair though)

By the way, I found that the DTP Cruiser is light enough that 322 lb 6'3" 55 year old me can pick it up two handed and load it in the back of a CHEVY lumina after removing only the trunk and basket (And I very likely did not need to remove the basket, but it was already removed)  The suggested way involves removing at least the battery pack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom