Camp Pastor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdavis3152003

Do camps still hire camp pastors?  My husband will be getting out of bible college in a year and we will need a warmer place to go in the winter and I wondered if this was an option.

I don't think very many do - probably just those that are operated by church-related groups. Quite a few campgrounds have Sunday services, but inmy [limited] they are usually ministered by volunteers or local clergy.

Google this.  There is an organization that specializes in campground ministries.

Many campgrounds have a Chaplin, but I suspect in most of them it is a volunteer position.

The campground where I happen to be just now has a Pastor.. but then he is also the owner and his church is 2 driveways down the road (or you can take the lane in the back as I will Thursday)

not my church.. (On Sunday I drive about 4-5 miles) but ... Well.. This place is kind of different and I like it. If I was "Without church" This just might be the one.

jdavis3152003 said:
Do camps still hire camp pastors?  My husband will be getting out of bible college in a year and we will need a warmer place to go in the winter and I wondered if this was an option.

I graduated from Hope International University, Pacific Christian College of Ministry and Biblical Studies, Magna Cum Laude in 2012, I chose a degree field that has ton's of volunteer opportunities, but not many paying opportunities outside of the church. 

Hey Oscar Mike, I'm enrolled in HIU through the Apostolic School of Theology. Thought it interesting to run into an HIU graduate on here.
Take Care

erichardson said:
Hey Oscar Mike, I'm enrolled in HIU through the Apostolic School of Theology. Thought it interesting to run into an HIU graduate on here.
Take Care

How far along are you?

Welcome Brothers. The only clergy I've seen are regular snowbirds in that CG. The owner has grown to trust, like hem and gives a break on the winter or summer site rental. Iknow one that has a free site every winter in Benson AZ who travels down from Oregon.

I've been the chaplain here and would appreciate an email to bob.maxwell63 at gmail dot com. We've had forum members from coast to cost and MT to TX that could have benefited from a praying pastor.

I spent 7 years working my way through and benefiting from Asbury College and crossing the street to Asbury Seminary for special things. Began reading all of Wesley, started in what is now a UMC seminary and transferred to an Episcopal Church related seminary to finish up my MDiv. It's program, thankfully, is gone and I'm retired and had to look before that for Wesley's Church once again --I am founding member of the Anglican Church in North America.

Bible, Creed, 39 Articles and it's bishops are all men of God, not politicians. :) 

As I am a retired church pastor who is also an avid RV'er, I'm interested in communicating with campgrounds where I can provide pastoral services including worship services in exchange for some consideration or discount on camping fees.  I'll provide references and ministry details on request.  Wife and one small dog travel with me. 

AM 

Many campgrounds are open to the idea of a Camp pastor.. Many are not.... Many already have one.  All you can do is ask management.

The park where I am stuck till I get a new engine has a pastor.... He owns the place :).

Being a full-timer I always thought it'd be great to have an online church where everyone could log on for the service, somehow see each other, chat and do bible studies together. The members would help to support the pastor. You'd have a congregation where everyone would know each other, what's going on with everyone and where everyone is at. You know, like church.

-Roni

That is actually what my husband does but I wondered if he could offer to lead a service in exchange for reduced camp fees.

Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina has a chaplain workamper position year round, always someone new there when I show up, so I don't think they give the one gig to someone permanently.

Check with their larger parks too, they were holding services at some of them, and may have had a workamper chaplain.

Good luck!

I am also an ordained minister.  I am thrilled to find so many other clergy on this site! 

I do have one question:  Why must you be paid to do HIS WORK?  Does HE not already pay other worldly benefits?  Are you not committed to His work to a level that you do it for the LOVE of the Lord, and any compensation is a bonus? 

If you are a plumber or electrician, and help a fellow camper out, do you expect to be paid, or do you do it to be helpful?

He has blessed me financially.  I must now pass those blessings on any way I can - even for free.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Gordon.. I have one thing to say about your post (Above)  GOOD PREACHER.

Now me, I'm not a preacher exactly.. I sing in the Choir,, Rewards are both instant (I really like singing and found that applies double to singing God's Praises) and one hopes Long term (Eternal) as well.

Financial.. Not the kind of reward I'm talking about.

From the OP's perspective, it sounds as if they are younger and entering ministry still in "career" mode.  In that case it's certainly reasonable for them to need an income to go along with the work.  There is certainly a Biblical basis for paid clergy, although we certainly can donate our time, money, and skills to others in need whenever possible.  :)

Scotty. I do agree, the pastor, if he is going to devote the proper amount of time to the job, needs a source of income that does not involve "other work".  (Investments, or pay for the job).

But I admire anyone who is willing to do the job for free.

One of the things I know is the "Great Secret" of a church which I am glad to say I do not have anything to do with.. You see, it was started when, after perhaps one too many "Cold Ones" a man said "Now Religion, that's where the real money is, I'm going to start a Church" And so he did.. NOT based on any Bible the world had ever seen.. And very clearly not a church of God.

A friend of mine can tell you more than I about the church.  But when she found the great secret.. She left it.. Me. I found the secret first (Since I read the eye witness report of his decision to found it).

Sadly. I'm not making that up.

I will not name him, He is not a member of this forum and I know of nobody in this forum that belongs to that "church".. Though we all know of people (Big name sheep) who belong to it..

I am also aware of several so-called "Christian" churches who have expelled members because they did not drop enough coin in the collection basket...

This is why I praise the Man who is willing to do the job for free.

I know of campgrounds who have a workcamper pastor who stays in the park for free. I have my Masters in Theology and preach in a small Baptist Church and teach Sunday School as needed. Fortunately God has blessed me with an adequate income where I do not need compensation even though a good worker is worth his hire.

And I like to have a live thread like this so that I can ask someone to visit one of our forum members that's' having one of the serious problems we'll all face one time or another and out in our RVs we usually far from our home congregation.

Bob, When we are traveling, I offer my services to all, I have been asked to preach at times and I have had many occasion to talk and counsel people. Sometimes I run into other pastors which of course leads to a wonderful conversation. A forum like this does allow for some very lively conversations and of course is very informative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom