June photos of Northern California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

This month I visited Watsonville to visit family, Greenbrae to visit San Francisco, Santa Rosa, Bodega Bay (where parts of The Birds was filmed) and Fort Bragg.

There are three different series of photos this time. The first series is 6 photos in 6/10th of a second of a Yorkie catching a Frisbee. That's right, a Yorkie. The second series is three shots of a Long Tailed Weasel, which I had never seen before. And the third series is of a Western Gull nest with two juveniles. Only one of the juveniles is visible except for a very small piece of the second chick in the third photo. Normally I won't go near or photograph most nests, but this one was well protected on a small rock outcropping 50 feet off shore.

https://picasaweb.google.com/SeilerBird/June?authuser=0&feat=directlink

My favorite this month is the shot of Tarzan and Jane looking out a screen window on the Condormobile.

I like the proud little bug collector in Fort Bragg.  It's obvious he was an eagle in a prior life.  ;)  You were in our old stomping grounds.  We lived in Sebastopol for years when Tom managed Longs Drug Stores in Marin and Sonoma Counties.  We moved further north to Redding when he retired.

Margi

I think my favorite is the clouds at sunset.  It almost looks like a turbulent orange ocean.

The magenta iceplant brings back memories.  For about the first ten years we lived in Redwood City our entire front yard was planted in Magenta iceplant.  We put every single one of them in the ground ourselves.  When they were in bloom you could see our yard flying into SFO!  Another nice month, Tom.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I think my favorite is the clouds at sunset.  It almost looks like a turbulent orange ocean.
I think that one looks like the surface of Jupiter. But it also works well as a turbulent orange ocean. Thanks Ardra. I just got back from a hike and I had a hummingbird hover directly over my head about 30 feet up and I got him. Cool!

Tom,

Some great photos. My favorites are the sunset and the view of the Golden Gate where it leads you right into the picture.

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

Some great photos. My favorites are the sunset and the view of the Golden Gate where it leads you right into the picture.
Thank you Jim. I had a good laugh when you mentioned the Golden Gate shot. I was sitting on the top deck of a tour bus and shooting with a telephoto lens. Not the best combination for shooting something like a giant bridge. I did not think I would get anything in conditions like those. I should have gotten off the bus but I was really hungry and anxious to get a place to eat. I am glad you like it.

And thanks to everyone else for their really nice comments.

Thanks Jim, I consider that a real compliment. Whenever you take a photograph of a subject that has been photographed a billion times it is always a challenge to come up with a new angle. I took dozens of shots of it with trying different things and they all went into the trash except this one and the one taken from the bay.

BTW - I finally got a reservation in an RV park for this upcoming Saturday night. They have one of the most amazing fireworks shows here in Fort Bragg and the park is within walking distance of the show. Actually I could see the show from my campsite, but I will walk over to get closer. I am probably going to take both cameras and try a few different ideas, such as the polarizer.

Tom,

I certainly understand what you said about a photograph done a billion times. I wish I had gotten such a shot of the Golden Gate as you.

Hope you have great luck with the fireworks. Looking forward to seeing your results. I have a few more that I will be posting soon in my fireworks album.

Bob Buchanan said:
Enjoyed looking at your latest work, Tom . . .

The two sharp focus BIF's I see as the best. Love the colors on the Western gull.
Thanks Bob. I shoot way too many shots of Western Gulls because they are such easy targets. I see lots of them everyday. Tonight I was out shooting the Western Gull chicks and one of the parents dive bombed me twice. Each time she flew only a few feet over my head and squawked at me when she was directly overhead. I have been in that same spot a half a dozen times and this is the first time I upset her, so I immediately left. I have seen them chase after other gulls, ravens and pelicans too. Very protective parents. Maybe that is why there are so many of them. ;D

Lots of nice images Tom.  Thought you might like one of mine of the Golden Gate.  It was not shot under your conditions, but it is hand held.

Attachments

• Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay (Medium).jpg
    Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 26
Very nice shot Ron.

Bob - You said you thought the 2 BIFs were the best ones but you didn't say which two of the four BIF shots you liked. One of the BIF is of an Egret pooping. That is one amazing shot. Not because of the poop but because of the fact it is a pure white bird against a bright blue background and you can see feather detail on the entire bird. Shooting pure white or pure black birds are the two biggest challenge in bird photography. At my photo forum there are "experts" explaining to everyone exactly how to set the camera to make sure that white and black birds come out exposed properly. Keep the histogram to the left, underexpose, overexpose, blah, blah, blah. I simply leave it in 10 fps and blast away. The secret is to know how to post process properly. The 10 fps mode is identical to P mode except I can't use a flash, which I don't need for BIF.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom