The Noobiest of all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsuarez

Hello everybody. My Name is Ramon, I am from Spain and currently I live in Mexico City. RV experience 1, ten years ago.

I declare myself a total noob in RV stuff and need help. Really.

In two week times I will pick up a rental in Los Angeles with my family, wife and 3 kids (3, 5, and 7 years). You guys can not imagine how excited we are! We will go to Sequoia park where I already have reservations in Sequoia RV Ranch.

Now, I am sure that no matter how I try I will do something wrong (hopefully small) according to RV etiquette, but i would like to reduce at maximum disrupting the RV's atmosphere. So, I guess the question is if someone here could point me in a direction where I could find some online reading about the etiquette and tips of RVing.

For instance, one big question is. Since I will be staying outside the national park and I will not have a support car, is it OK to move around the national park in the RV? Will I find parking for it? Will I shock my RV neighbors by pulling my RV out of the park every day?

I am so noob that I don't even know if these are stupid questions...so as you can see I really need help.

thanks

Ramon

PD. ohh, something really useful would be list of thinks to bring or consider.

Use the search feature (the button next to home button) and most of your questions will be answered. Also check out the Library for some check lists.

Good luck and have fun on your trip. Make some great memories!!

Things to take- Lots of cash!!!

Steve

rsuarez said:
For instance, one big question is. Since I will be staying outside the national park and I will not have a support car, is it OK to move around the national park in the RV? Will I find parking for it? Will I shock my RV neighbors by pulling my RV out of the park every day?

You can use the RV to move about the park tho it will be a bit of a pain.  Expect 2 lane mountain roads to be the norm.  If you decide to visit Mineral King, expect 20 miles of gravel and seemingly hundreds of curves -- RVs not particularly recommended on that road.  The bigger problem will be the need to break camp every morning.  You will need to disconnect water, power, and sewer, remove or retract leveling jacks and stow the gear away.  Upon return you will need to unpack and reconnect everything.

I strongly recommend that if you have 2 licensed drivers a good alternative is to rent a car in Visalia, CA and one of the drivers take it and follow the RV to Three Rivers 29 miles (47 km) away over good road.  Enterprise Rent-a-Car has an agency in Visalia  http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=30E4&bid=004&cnty=US .

Enterprise is a national company with widespread operations especially in smaller towns.  I have had good experience with them.  That second vehicle should really help your enjoyment of Sequoia.

Almost forgot.  ;D

Take:

1.  Hiking clothes and shoes.  Shorts should be fine.  Expect warm days and cool nights and cool shade in the redwood groves -- a nylon shell parka would be nice. The altitudes will be about the same as the Distrito Federal (The air should be a bit cleaner tho. ;) ).  If you need to equip yourselves with outdoor clothing may I recommend that while in LA, you visit a Sports Chalet or a Recreational Equipment (REI) store.  They have a good selection.

2.  Mosquito repellant -- lots of mosquito repellant.

3.  Carry water bottles -- tho the temps will be pleasant, the air will be dry and the sun quite warm.  Kids can dehydrate quite quickly.

4.  A good safety item for you and the  kids to carry would be cheap plastic police whistles to signal where they have run off to this time.  :mad:  (Old, experienced daddy speaking here.  8)  )

5.  Cameras, spare batteries for cameras.

Thanks guys. all are very useful tips... especially this one "Things to take- Lots of cash!!!"  ;D

Ive done some search on the Sequoia National Park, but its always nice to have recommendations on places to visit from people that have already been there. Anyone can comment on the most interesting places around the park?

Gracias.

Ramon

rsuarez said:
Thanks guys. all are very useful tips... especially this one "Things to take- Lots of cash!!!"  ;D

Ive done some search on the Sequoia National Park, but its always nice to have recommendations on places to visit from people that have already been there. Anyone can comment on the most interesting places around the park?

Gracias.

Ramon

De nada. 

In the park, visit Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon NP -- it is a Yosemite-like glacial valley.    Mineral King in Sequoia NP ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_King ) but only if you rent a car.  You do not want an RV on that road.  It is amazingly twisty.  Never cliff-side but lots of turns as it follows a river course.  And gravel stretches. 

Gracias Carl,

Still undecided about renting a car, but looking at the park map (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/SEKImap1_MapoftheParks-2.pdf) i find a lot of "over 22 feet not allowed" on the roads. Even from Three Rivers to Giant Forest Museum I find this. Is it right? I won't be allowed to go? If this is the case, then renting the car is mandatory. Any comments?

Many thanks

Ramon

Something else...

I found a Shuttle that goes by Three Rivers and into the National Park. Are these shuttle usually a good option?

Thanks,

rsuarez said:
Gracias Carl,

Still undecided about renting a car, but looking at the park map (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/SEKImap1_MapoftheParks-2.pdf) i find a lot of "over 22 feet not allowed" on the roads. Even from Three Rivers to Giant Forest Museum I find this. Is it right? I won't be allowed to go? If this is the case, then renting the car is mandatory. Any comments?

I would believe the map.  Sequoia NP is pretty much heavy forest and mountain wilderness and the road network reflects that.  Price the car with Enterprise, I suspect it wil not be all that expensive.

rsuarez said:
Something else...

I found a Shuttle that goes by Three Rivers and into the National Park. Are these shuttle usually a good option?

Thanks,

They usually are, but it all depends on your circumstances.  Myself, I have not used a shuttle in Sequoia so I cannot give you a real opinion of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom