Adirondack (North Country) log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
Here are some shots of the remarkable Ausable Chasm.? It is the largest falls either of us have seen, other than Niagara.? The misty effect you see in some of the pictures is not an effect.? it is real.? A fine spray sent out by the falls.

Hi Smoky.
Awesome photos.  This will be part of our next trip.  Isn't the new camera good? 
Betty

A Bizarre Discovery

This is what we like about RV exploring.  You never know what unusual and bizarre thing lies around the next curve.  Here is what we suddenly came upon as we traveled to Plattsburgh after leaving Ausable Chasm.  At first we thought we came upon some aliens.

Attachments

• stone2 (Medium).JPG
    stone2 (Medium).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • stone3 (Medium).JPG
    stone3 (Medium).JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 13
  • stone4 (Medium).JPG
    stone4 (Medium).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
  • stone5 (Medium).JPG
    stone5 (Medium).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 16
  • stone1 (Medium).jpg
    stone1 (Medium).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 16
Betty:

The new camera is more than good.  It is terrific.  Makes me look better than the duffer I am.  But it will take me more than a year to learn all the things this baby can do.

Arnie?s

They say you can never go back.  Lot?s of truth here.  A lot of things that existed here when I was a kid are not around any more.  But Arnie?s is.  The first place to serve pizza in Plattsburgh NY, and the first place I ever saw or ate a pizza.  We found it!  And the Italian food there is terrific.  It has to be if it lasts 55 years and survived the invasion of Interstate 87.  Arnie?s is in downtown Plattsburgh on the main street (Catherine).  The Admiral and I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• 11jun06 091 (Medium).JPG
    11jun06 091 (Medium).JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 11jun06 097 (Medium).JPG
    11jun06 097 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 14
Our Campground

This is what we see every morning when we look out the windows.

Attachments

• 11jun06 001 (Medium).JPG
    11jun06 001 (Medium).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 11jun06 002 (Medium).JPG
    11jun06 002 (Medium).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
Smoky:

That campground looks like Yorkville IL where we spent the past five weeks . After three weeks of rain i dug big ruts getting off the wet grass!

I hope we get out OK.  Our current plan is to give it 2 or 3 days of dry weather and then make a run.  So far the car has had no problems.  The grass we are on seems pretty firm and has good drainage.  This surprises me as we are only 100 feet from the river.  Hope to catch up with you guys in the Black Hills in July.

Smoky said:
A Bizarre Discovery
This is what we like about RV exploring.? You never know what unusual and bizarre thing lies around the next curve.? Here is what we suddenly came upon as we traveled to Plattsburgh after leaving Ausable Chasm.? At first we thought we came upon some aliens.

My kind of art.  I love it!

Betty

Great photos Smoky.  Brings back memories when we visited the area frequently when we lived in Montreal.  We spent a lot of time in New York and Vermont. 

June 13
Toad mileage 60.1

Finally we had a break enough in the weather to take our tour of Whiteface mountain.? Hopefully to ride the gondola to the top and snap many pictures with great views.

We arrived at the base of the mountain and the Ski Center (photo) built for the 1980 Olympics, only to discover that the gondolas were all lying on the ground (see photo) and would not be hooked to the ride cable until June 23.? None of the locals seemed to know that as everyone in the area was telling us to go ride the gondolas.? Sadly, we left the park to drive to the top of the mountain rather than ride up.? Actually, it might have worked out for the better.? All along the way were scenic views with lots of signs giving us historical information.

As we left the Ski center we took a photo of the ski trails 3500 feet above us.

Before we left the bottomlands, we say many flyfisherpeople, plying their craft on the Adirondack rivers.? (see photo).

After ascending about 1,000 feet we passed through the park service tollgate. (photo)

Attachments

• whiteface002 (Small).JPG
    whiteface002 (Small).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 23
  • whiteface098 (Small).JPG
    whiteface098 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 17
  • whiteface086 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface086 (Medium).JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
  • whiteface103 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface103 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
A small mountain lake near the tollgate.

A mountain scene shot through some of the plentiful white birches.

Attachments

• whiteface107 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface107 (Medium).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 16
  • whiteface115 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface115 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 16
Off through the trees, and 5 miles to our right, we see Union Falls Lake, an impoundment of the Saranac River.? We learned that the first settlers migrated through this area nearly two centuries ago.? Essentially all the rolling ground below us was cleared for agricultural or timber purposes, but now has come back to conifers on wetter ground and hardwood on the more fertile ground.

A 1998 iced storm had significant effects on this forest growth,? From this elevation at 2900 feet, all the way down to the river valley, icing cause extensive tree damage.? Warmer air above, because of a temperature inversion, kept the rain in liquid form, thus saving many more trees.

Elevation of 2900 may sound puny to you Westerners.? However, keep in mind, that most Eastern mountains are based from sea level.? When we look at peaks of 4,000 to 5,000 (the highest in New York) they sometimes appear to the eye as high as or higher than Rocky mountain peaks of 7,000 to 8,000.? An 8,000 foot peak in the Rockies iviewed from baselands of 4,000 to 5,000 feet is no different than viewing Adirondack peaks when viewed from eastern baselands which are sea level to a few hundred feet.

When you add in the lush greenness of the Eastern mountains, you realize that beauty is everywhere in the United States, though the character of that beauty can be unique in each region.

Attachments

• whiteface121 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface121 (Medium).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 16
  • whiteface131 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface131 (Medium).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 16
Straight ahead, above the twisting turning highway, we see the 4867 foot peak of Whiteface Mountain, our goal for the day.  The forest cover is a mixture of red spruce, balsam firs, and highlighted with white birch.  Cloud masses typically engulf these peaks 20% of the time.  Such was the day we ascended.  By the time we reached the top, we were in the midst of very wet clouds, and only for seconds at a time, did we get glimpses of the bottom lands far, far away below.

Attachments

• whiteface137 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface137 (Medium).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
  • whiteface142 (Small).JPG
    whiteface142 (Small).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 14
Next we climbed to a lovely panorama (I simply have to learn to use my software to make dramatic panoramas) of the hill and lake country of the northwestern Adirondacks.? Thirty miles out, beyond the last line of? mountains, the slope drops off to the St. Lawrence River, separating our nation from Canada.

Attachments

• whiteface145 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface145 (Medium).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
To the right we see the magnificent setting of the ?H? shaped Lake Placid.  The town of Lake Placid is barely visible on the left along with Mirror Lake.    Mt Marcy, the highest mountain in the Adirondacks, and New York State is visible in the far horizon, near the right center of the pictures.

Attachments

• whiteface148 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface148 (Medium).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 19
  • whiteface153 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface153 (Medium).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 16
As we climb yet higher, another lovely scenic gap to view.  Down below is the village of Wilmington (where you have already seen a fly fisherman on its bountiful rivers) and beyond Wilmington the Sentinel Range of mountains.  Immediately below is the Whiteface Mountain Ski Center where we began this segment of our journey offering the greatest vertical drop in Eastern North America 3,340 feet.

Clouds prevented us from seeing Lake Champlain and Vermont 30 miles away on the left.

I also included a very stark photo of power line poles ascending the mountain in the

Attachments

• whiteface157 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface157 (Medium).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 18
  • whiteface160 (Small).JPG
    whiteface160 (Small).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 15
  • whiteface162 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface162 (Medium).JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
  • whiteface165 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface165 (Medium).JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 15
  • whiteface169 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface169 (Medium).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 14
The Rocky Mountains are up to 14,000+ feet.  8,000 is just a foothill.

Finally we reached the summit.  Near the top is the ?castle? which contains a restaurant and gift shop.  Right before that is the famous tunnel and elevator.  The tunnel is a walkway boring several hundred feet into the mountain.  At the end of the tunnel is a sharp right turn, up 5 steps, to an elevator.  The elevator ascends 276 feet and exits right beside the summit of the mountain.  It is really spooky walking up that tunnel.  I got a shot from the entry looking up to the turn to the elevator, then another shot from the elevator end looking backwards to the daylight entrance.

Attachments

• whiteface174 (Small).JPG
    whiteface174 (Small).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 17
  • whiteface180 (Small).JPG
    whiteface180 (Small).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
  • whiteface183 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface183 (Medium).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 17
  • whiteface188 (Small).JPG
    whiteface188 (Small).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
The next photo is the exit from the elevator at the top.? Some nice lounge chairs and observation windows greet you.? I made good use of those chairs while waiting for the elevator to take me back down.? Views from the top are also in these photos.

Attachments

• whiteface189 (Small).JPG
    whiteface189 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 20
  • whiteface196 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface196 (Medium).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 17
  • whiteface202 (Medium).JPG
    whiteface202 (Medium).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom