32 years ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
On this day 32 years ago, Chris and I and our daughter arrived at SFO with all our possessions in 6 suitcases - five and a half suitcases for the girls, and half a suitcase for my stuff  ;D  We started a new life in a new land. Although we'd made prior visits, this was a whole new ballgame, and a huge personal risk for us. We also left behind large families in the UK.

In the mid 80's we became naturalized US citizens, and to this day treasure our 'personalized' letters from The Gipper (President Reagan) welcoming us to the USA.

We worked hard in our professional, home/personal, and academic lives. Life in the USA has been good to us; We've made countless long-time friends, here and around the world, both personallly and professionally.  We believe our lives have been enriched by these relationships and by our wonderful experiences. We feel fortunate to have been able to retire early (10+ years ago), debt-free.

In retirement, we've  tried to give back to the community in various ways, primarily by contributing much of our spare time to elderly friends and neighbors, and by participating in various community voluntary/charity groups. But, we're always left thinking we could do more, especially when I read some of the things that forum members such as Jim and Tarry Johnson are involved in.

Congratulations to all of you.  Some native born Americans could learn from your example.

Thanks Ned and Jeff, much appreciated.

Adding to my reply to Loddy, Jeff's first words to me at an RV Forum rally in Quartzsite, AZ were "your brogue sure doesn't come through in your forum posts"  ;D  When we visit the homeland, folks tell us we have US accents  ;D

My Partner is basically Welsh but dragged up In Bristol, when she talks to her elderly Welsh aunt she reverts to a welsh accent and then puts the phone down and speaks Bristle, very confusing

Loddy

What a great day to celebrate!  Congratulations to you all.  Glad to hear you only got one suitcase - seems to fit what happens to most RVing couples!  ::)

ArdraF

Tom,

Congratulations!! It certainly was a great thing for the U.S.A. when you and Chris arrived with your family. You are a shining example of what this country stands for and what can be done by embracing it. Pat & I certainly have been privileged to know you and applaud your accomplishments.

And Chris, I still remember where the wine is kept!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Congratulations and thank you for all your help.  You are the mainstay of the Forum.

Tom, congratulations. You have done the classic "American Dream." You are a sevice to us all, here on the forum, and more importantly, have made a large contribution to the real spirit of America. Thank you for all of it.

Ray D  8)

Thanks all. Your messages remind me that many of our "new found friends" are right here on The RV Forum, and Steve's message reminds me that some of those friends are north of the border.

You are the mainstay of the Forum.

We can all blame thank Ed Juge, founder of the forum for that. I met Ed in person only once, and he later took a chance when he entrusted stewardship of the forum to yours truly. I've tried to live up to Ed's high standards and beliefs, and I've had a lot of help from a wonderful group of forum staff over the years. Occasionally I fall down, and the staff are always there to pick me up and put me on the right track again.

You are the poster child for an immigrant coming to America Tom. You came in the front door, worked hard and made something of yourself. I salute your accomplishments!

Sarge, you're making me blush  :-[

I used to jokingly refer to us as 'illegal aliens', but came to realize that wasn't a good term to use  :(

Hi Tom,

Congrats on your 32 nd anniversary here. I bet you have learned proper American English here also  ;D

Tom said:
I used to jokingly refer to us as 'illegal aliens', but came to realize that wasn't a good term to use  :(

We think of you more as 'legal aliens' :)

Congratulations Tom,

My story is somewhat similar, except that I lost my first husband shortly after immigrating here form South Africa, due to cancer. However, after some years I met a wonderful "native", and eventually married him. No regrets there either.

I love this country and all the incredible people, that crossed my path over the years. The USA has treated me just dandy. That naturalization certificate means a lot to me.

Then the accent......thank goodness no one can read an accent here! LOL!!!!! I am afraid that will always stick and yes, my family in South Africa also think I talk just like an American - you go figure.

Marie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom