32 years ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats Tom that's what America is all about. Thanks for all you do for us newbies on the site.

Belated congratulations, Tom and Chris.  Our country has been blessed by your presence.  :)

Margi and Tom

Tom - Congratulations to you, Chris and your entire family.  Your story exemplifies America at it's finest - especially the part about the overwhelming amount you've contributed to the greater good since your arrival.

Please accept my belated thanks for all your efforts, and my best wishes for the future.

Oh gosh folks, a big thanks for all the kind words. I didn't start this topic looking for praise, but wanted to share the joy of celebrating our 'immigrants' story. We truly believe that we've gained far more from this wonderful experience than we're going to be able to give back.

It wasn't all smooth sailing. One company we worked for went into Chapter 11, leaving all the employees who'd purchased stocks and stashed them away for retirement with sawdust instead. For me, that was 20 years that went 'poof', and years later I understood how unsuspecting Enron employees must have felt. But we were young enough to start over and, like someone once said to me, "everything happens for a reason and everything works out for the best".

The rest of the journey had its ups and downs, but again everything happened for a reason. Work wise, there were many long hours and long commutes, and often weeks away from home. Extended family members who enjoyed complimentary air travel had no idea how many hours I sat in planes, traveling the world, to get those air miles"  ;D

Our friends stuck with us all the way through the good times and not so good times. When we retired early, we were at last able to make extended trips by RV, and visited many RV Forum members &/or met them at rallies.

One regret is that we didn't serve in the US armed forces, and I'm reminded of this every time I read or listen to a veteran's story, or watch footage of the many young men and women currently serving to protect the free world.

I'll chime in with congratulations also, Tom. Like many of our ancestors, you and your family have found a niche and we're all better off as a result of it.  Thanks for sharing with us.

My DIL is working hard to become a citizen, they sure haven't made it easy for her. They will be married 10 years this fall.  He was in the military for 10 years, then has worked contract for the US government ever since, until hired by the DOD full time.

Every year she had to go to an American area, generally Guam to keep her green card.  But last year they said she would have to surrender it.  They have always lived in S Korea and never in the states.  She is a Russian citizen.

So She would had to come to the US and live for a year before she could get her citizenship, if she left any of that time she could not come back in.  Thankfully her sister had her citizenship so she went to stay with her last August and start working on the process.  Son tried to help expedite it with no luck.

He said she finally got called to get her second pair of fingerprints done.  And now they hope that she will take her test and swearing in soon.  It has given her an opportunity to see how things are here, to improve her english, to volunteer, and just wait, but still.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that our son has given to his country all these years and then his wife of 9 years was put through this.  You have to forgive me but I'm not sympathetic at all to those walking across the border and demanding illegal rights, that is total BS.  He has earned the right for his wife to be a citizen and they have to go through the time and expense of this while the illegals gain the benefits and security of a country he is sacrificing for.  Something is totally wrong with a system like this.

Off my soapbox Tom, congratulations to you and yours.  You folks earned the right to be citizens and sounds like you are and have been a tremendous asset to our country.  May you have many many more good years.

No problem with the soapbox Carolyn, and I agree that the system does seem screwed up. Spouses are supposed to get higher priority.

Belated congratulations Tom and Chris.  My parents were immigrants also, so I know how elated you are to have made this country your home, as they surely were. 

Daisy

Congratulations Tom -- 32 years is a good, long time. I really like what I've seen of you here, and what I've heard from other framily. It seems you've more than earned your way.

Let me add my own congratulations for all that you've accomplished, Tom! You're a tribute to your home country, and a great contributor to your adopted country... Thank you!

Congratulations Tom! America's been blessed by your presence! What a great role model for others!

-Trevor & Roni

Congratulations! We wish more native Americans realized the benefits of being American citizens; particularly in upward mobility.

Ernie & Tara

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom