California Smog FYI for 4-wheelers With Oversized Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Dog

Just had my Wrangler smog checked today which is required in California every two years to re-register. The first thing out of the tech's mouth was, " Have you had a re-gear to match the 33" tires?" Oooookay, what's the difference, thought you were checking smog on the engine. He said that in CA now they have to run the vehicle at a given RPM and speed and that it has to capable of being done in either 2nd or 3rd gear (on a standard transmission. Not sure of the process on an auto.) He went on to say that if it couldn't be done, it automatically failed the smog test. Fortunately, I had lower dif gears already installed, but I thought of the many many people who are running around with over-sized tires that haven't.

So if your 4x4 is registered in CA...just a heads up.... :( :(

Which is why all of our vehicles are registered in Florida  :).  No inspection required, very inexpensive registration, no personal property tax, etc.

Not to get off on a rant, I can thank C.A.R.B for all of the five/six gallon portable gas tanks sold in the U.S. with the completely useless nozzles and no vent.

I know John, but dw is still working here and 12 or our 14 grandkids are here......as much as this native would like to leave, it doesn't look like it will happen soon enough.

I regeared to 4:56 and after driving it was kind of questioning my decision to go quite that low due to the 2500 to 2700 revs  the engine's doing at highway speeds. But I've been pretty much universally assured on the Jeep forums that the revs are not a problem for the 4.0 engine. And the gas mileage is actually a little better now. I'm starting to like it...definitely better in the mountains, and can't wait to get it on the trails.

I was actually worried at the smog shop that maybe I went too far the other way.

Your experience does not surprise me, I cannot understand how they could get an accurate reading with big tires and stock gearing.
Interestingly, the mandatory smog check is being discontinued here in 2014, somebody finally woke up to the fact that there are very few of the gross polluters the law was aimed at left on the roads. There are so few failures the inspections are a waste of resources. Of course the bicycle riding granola chomping enviro wackos are in an uproar as well as the government employees union.

RoyM said:
Interestingly, the mandatory smog check is being discontinued here in 2014, somebody finally woke up to the fact that there are very few of the gross polluters the law was aimed at left on the roads. There are so few failures the inspections are a waste of resources. Of course the bicycle riding granola chomping enviro wackos are in an uproar as well as the government employees union.

Maybe the small number of gross polluters is because they have been weeded out and kept in check by the exams. I'd bet the number of violaters will shoot back up again after a couple of years and then they'll have to reimpose and restart the whole system all over. I ride a bike, hate granola, believe in global warming and don't belong to a government employees' union :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom