04 TJ Unlimited build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hes4all

Here are some more pictures of my 04 TJ Unlimited build. I hope to be done in about 6-8 weeks. I can give you more specifics if you want them. I will tell you that with 42" tall tires, this is going to be one low Jeep.

Attachments

• jeep 007.jpg
    jeep 007.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 100
  • jeep 008.jpg
    jeep 008.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 86
  • jeep 009.jpg
    jeep 009.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 81
  • jeep 012.jpg
    jeep 012.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 67
  • jeep 015.jpg
    jeep 015.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 70
  • jeep 016.jpg
    jeep 016.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 69
  • jeep 017.jpg
    jeep 017.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
Looking foreward to seeing the finished product Terry. Be sure and post pics. BTW, have you ever done an 8.8 differential swap?

Finally got a little more done on my Unlimited. Here are a few picks for you.
What do you think of sloping the grill?

Attachments

• loo j 1.jpg
    loo j 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 53
  • loo j 2.jpg
    loo j 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 46
  • loo j 3.jpg
    loo j 3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 49
hes4all said:
What do you think of sloping the grill?

Don't know.  I'd need to see a few more pix to get a better feel assuming you're doing that for cosmetic reasons.

Who made the front axle?  The build looks really good. 

I would love to reposition my shocks to the top of the axle - I'm always beating up the hangars.

Good morning John, well I am going to slope the grill a little to make more room for me to access my winch. This build has gotten to the point of almost too much. If you look at the picture below, you will see a line on the frame rail where I cut it off. I added on channel to make the frame go straight instead of turning out like the stock frame does. So to have a little more room to tuck the  winch in between the frame rails and the biggest reason for me doing this is to keep a better turning radius and because i can (lol). I will put up a few pictures of the front when I get more done. The axles or Dana 60 Roc Jocks. Just plugging along, thanks!

Attachments

• jeep 006.jpg
    jeep 006.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 41
Terry, Here is a simple mod you might want to do the next time you have time on your hands if you have an automatic. The transmission linkage separated leaving me in reverse half in the garage. It seems this plastic part will fail, just a matter of time. Mine failed at 73K miles. Luckily I found this thread on jeepforum before I called for a tow. I will always carry zip ties on board now, too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05-4spd-auto-linkage-failure-600665/

Bill

Just finished it today. I ground the round rivet head like back side of the nipple to get a good drilling surface. Once drilled out and reassembled with the clevis pin and nylon washers it works like a charm. I went with a cotter pin rather than a spring clip. It just seemed more secure.

And the build continues. Just got the control arms back from the powder-coater. They look nice for now if you know what I mean?

Just one more weld on the front axle and some paint and then install it for the last time I hope. I have had it in and out six times so far. Starting to paint front shock towers too.

I think I will be done by July 1st.

Attachments

• Jeep 16.JPG
    Jeep 16.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 14
  • jeep 15.JPG
    jeep 15.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Jeep 17.JPG
    Jeep 17.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 18
  • Jeep 18.JPG
    Jeep 18.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 19
Looking good Terry!  Whose shock towers are those?

I just finished up on my front axle, just minor mods.  I now have Clayton lower control arm brackets instead of OEM and I converted the axle end of the upper control arms from bushings to the Currie kit with the Johnny Joints.  Rubi is loaded on the trailer and we are working our way to Moab starting Thursday for the FMCA 4-Wheelers rally.  Whoo-hoo.

Hi John, A friend of mine cut those out for me. I just gave him a template and 15 minute later I had them. He has a nice CNC Plasma table.

The Johnny Joints are nice. Have them on the bosses Jeep and the one I am building. I really hope to get this done in a few months?

Clayton does make some nice stuff too! So you didn't three link the front?
Maybe down the road?

Have fun and safe travels to you guys!
And yes, WHOO-HOO

CNC Plasma table - DROOL... (I have the plasma torch, just need the expensive part  :D )

Yeah, the guys on Rubicon Owner's Forum have also been asking why I didn't three-link the front  :eek:.  Not enough time, for one.  I might see about having the 4x4 shop in Montrose, CO give me a quote on a three-link - we'll be there for about a month this summer.

I am in the same boat John. Have the Plasma but need the table. I have been looking at them for about a month now. I have to say that it is kind of funny where they (Plasma table companies) start off with the price. Every week they quote me a new lower price.

And yes, three link is the way to go! It really frees up the front articulation. The biggest thing IMHO is to keep the drag link and track bar in the same angle. This will keep steering nice. I drive my Jeep everywhere and have know problems at all.

Have fun :)

My boys just got a Torchmate plasma table. Some learning curve involved, with the software/computer/table interface. It looks to be a fun very creative metal fab tool.

Very nice looking.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  Oh wait, stupid me, it's a Jeep.  They are never "done".

Mike.

dhfinc said:
My boys just got a Torchmate plasma table. Some learning curve involved, with the software/computer/table interface. It looks to be a fun very creative metal fab tool.

I have spent a lot of time looking at the Torchmate. But I would have to say that I am leaning towards the Plascam unit mainly because of the software.

zmotorsports said:
Can't wait to see the finished product.  Oh wait, stupid me, it's a Jeep.  They are never "done".

Mike.

I think this is on a shirt! :)

Thanks Mike, been a long time coming but it will be worth it? I think!
Just got my seats so that should be the last of ordering stuff.

And I had some computer changes done and should have it back today!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom