EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: High pitched sound comming from LEDs  (Read 2340 times)

patdrury

• ---
High pitched sound comming from LEDs
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
I just purchased a new Freedom Express 322RLDS.  I paid extra for the LED light package that comes with the 50 year anniversary edition.  All was great at the dealer and then when I got it home my kids and wife were complaining about a high pitched sound coming from the lights.  I actually thought they were pulling my leg until the dog ran out of the front room and tried to hide in the bedroom.

So I guess the service guy and I were too old to notice the sound.    FYI as you age your hearing rang narrows.

I am bringing it back to the dealer to fix a few small problems next week but I'm trying to get some insight before the service guys says " I don't hear anything" .

So anyone out there know what I can do to fix this? 

PS  :My buddy said it sounds like no problem at all since it chases the kids out :)
Pat Drury Ram 1500 Freedom Express 322RLDS

tvman44

• ---
Re: High pitched sound comming from LEDs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
Tell the service guy to get his wife or daughter in there, women have a higher frequency hearing range than men.  When I was still working female customers would complain about a high frequency squeal but the husband and I could never hear them.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
"Husbands" are often subjected to more ear damaging noise throughout their lives - from lawnmowers and circular saws at to home high noise equipment at work.  Consequently, women and children typically have better hearing and often hear things us old farts can't.  As for LEDs emitting high pitched sound, it is a result of the way the devices are activated with an oscillating voltage.  Poorly designed (read cheap) LED lights often have this problem.  Chances are, the mfgr has provided the least costly devices.  A higher quality device may well solve the problem, but as mentioned, unless the service shop has a sound meter to measure the decibel level, someone with really good hearing may be needed to confirm the repair.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

patdrury

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
I was afraid of that.  I read someplace that lost cost/cheap LEDs will do this.  Now it may be an uphill battle to get them changed

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
I was afraid of that.  I read someplace that lost cost/cheap LEDs will do this.  Now it may be an uphill battle to get them changed

Also be sure to check to see if the LEDs affect the radios and TVs and many cheaper ones as well as the more expensive ones cause Radio Interference, RFI.  I have had problems with my Amateur radios due to RFI from LEDs so I suspect the same could be true for the AM/FM radios and the TVs.

BTW, if you are interfering with someone else, they can complain to the FCC and you may have to fix your system as the owner of the source is responsible and not the original manufacturer.  Thank the lobbyists for this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:42:15 PM by Jim Godward »
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

bttravel

• ---
  • Ready to go camping
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
Check out this website for good leds at a decent price. Replaced all of the bulbs in our unit and no noise at all. We like the soft white.
http://www.m4products.com/
2016 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.4L
2016 Keystone Sprinter 319MKS
16' Ranger Rebel Jet Bass Boat

patdrury

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
Check out this website for good leds at a decent price. Replaced all of the bulbs in our unit and no noise at all. We like the soft white.
http://www.m4products.com/

So did you have the same problem,  high pitch sounds coming from the lights?

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
Sounds like your LEDs have PWM voltage regulators.  (Pulse Width Modulation).  The current is turned off a percentage of the time to allow the diode to cool.  It's also how most LED dimmers work.  If the lights have a dimmer it's probably the culprit.  The switching frequencies used are not in the range of any critters hearing.  You're probably hearing a very low harmonic of the base frequency, which could be up in the megahertz.  (You'll might have a hard time convincing the RV folks it's a problem.)

I would start by opening up one of the noisy lights and try touching the circuit board or chip with a pencil eraser or something.  If that stops the sound then a simple mechanical fix might be all you need.  A dab of hot glue, silicon caulk, bubble gum......

Option 2 is to replace the PWM regulator with a Buck converter.  I've used these on all of my LED conversions : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-LM2596-DC-Buck-Volts-Convert-4-75-35V-to-1-25-26V-12V-Power-Regulated-/351111533066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bfe0d20a.  I adjust them down to about 10.2v and do not have any heat build up at all.  If you know your way around eBay you can probably find them much cheaper.

Good Luck!

Or maybe you already have Buck converters and they ARE the problem?  I wouldn't know if mine whine 'cause I spent too many years riding motorcycles and listening to loud music.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Hosted by Over The Network