EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Generator decibels  (Read 36883 times)

GPS2

Generator decibels
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
Hi, my wife and I are brand new to truck and tow behind trailering. We are planning to travel noth America starting next year. I was wondering what is an acceptable decilble level for a generator so as not to bother other units around us? The last thing we want to do is be those bothersome sob's in that unit over there.
Thanks in advance for any help
2012 Ram 1500 and a Keystone Bullet 246rbs

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: Generator decibels
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
Generally a Honda or Yamaha generators are the benchmark for quality well built generators. Don't make the mistake I made when I bought my first one several years back. I picked one up at a big box store because I thought I was getting a deal. The first time I ran it in a campground, I drew scorn from everyone within half a mile. I soon dumped it and bought a 2KW Honda.

Cheap is no deal if it's not usable.  Just my .02!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
Well, 0 would be ideal :)  RV generators like the Honda or Yamaha models are quiet enough and as long as you only run them during the allowed hours, you won't get any complaints.  However, if you try to save money and buy a so-called contractor generator, those are quite loud and you won't make any friends with one.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
By "Honda Generators" we're talking about the suitcase-style generators like the EU1000i, EU2000i and the larger EU3000i.  They're very quiet, as are the corresponding Yamaha models.

You can get Honda engines in non-enclosed, contractor style generators - with their exposed engines they are NOT suitable for campgrounds. The enclosed bodies on the above generators do as much to keep the noise under control as the engines themselves. 

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:18:05 PM »
Ideally, the noise would not exceed 60dba at 3 meters, about 22 feet. Remember that noise increases exponentially meaning that 61 dba is twice as loud as 60 and 62 is twice as loud as 61.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Ideally, the noise would not exceed 60dba at 3 meters, about 22 feet.

Three meters is closer to 10 feet than 22 feet.

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »
3 db is a doubling of the noise power, about the smallest difference a human ear can discern.  If the measurements are made under the same conditions (load level, distance from generator, etc.) you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between two generators with less than 3 db difference in loudness.

10 db is 10 times as much power.  A generator with a 70dba noise level will sound about twice as loud as one with a 60 dba rating.  But the noise will seem to carry 10 times further.

Just picking nits ....  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:53:50 PM by Lou Schneider »

99WinAdventurer37G

• ---
  • Life's a series of experiences, enjoy every one.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I'm at a CG, can't I just plug in?  Why would one want to run a generator at a CG unless the power is out. 
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G , Ford V-10
2006 Honda VTX 1300S

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
If you stay in RV parks - where you have row apon row of RVs located close enough to make running the wires from site to site economical - you can indeed just plug in.

But most of the more scenic campgrounds - in state and national parks, national forests, etc. - do not have hookups.  You have to supply your own electricity, fresh water and sewage containment while you stay there.

The house batteries will run the lights for a while, but the easiest way to use the air conditioner or other major appliance is to run a generator.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
The 2000 watt Honda and Yamaha inverter generators are both rated 59 dba at full load and 53 dba at 1/4 load. I have been unable to find a definitive statement of the distance, but I believe that is is 23'. Even at full load, that is quiet enough to stand next to them and carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice. You can run them just outside of your RV and have no problem going to sleep. Use them to power your air conditioner, and you can't hear them at all. The noise of the air conditioner drowns them out.

That being said, I absolutely can not understand why so many people insist on only Honda or Yamaha. They used to be unique. However, there are now many other inverter generators with virtually identical specifications that sell for about half of the price. I have two of the 2000 watt Champion inverters. I paid $499.99 each. To my (admittedly uncalibrated) ear, they sound just the same as the Honda.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »
Agree, Joel, there are now other inverter/generators available at attractive prices. I think Honda & Yamaha are still the gold standard in terms of quality and availability of service if ever needed, but the other brands can pretty much match the sound levels.

Some of the other brands that have inverter models are Champion, Honeywell, Boliy, Generac, and Powerhouse.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:52:42 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summer: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

rhoag

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »
Both the Honda and Yamaha are very quiet.  One other consideration is the BTU's of your AC Unit.  You will need the Honda EU3000iS or two 2000is (hooked in parallel) or the Yamaha EF3000iSEB to run a 35,000 BTU AC unit.   The Yamaha has an extra 50Watts of boost to handle when the AC starts...my Honda Eu3000 sometimes trips when the AC starts.  No running the micro and AC at the same time!!!

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »
Three meters is closer to 10 feet than 22 feet.

R
OOOPS!! I meant 7 meters.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »
Both the Honda and Yamaha are very quiet.  One other consideration is the BTU's of your AC Unit.  You will need the Honda EU3000iS or two 2000is (hooked in parallel) or the Yamaha EF3000iSEB to run a 35,000 BTU AC unit.   The Yamaha has an extra 50Watts of boost to handle when the AC starts...my Honda Eu3000 sometimes trips when the AC starts.  No running the micro and AC at the same time!!!

Read my previous post and Gary's post. There are some good options other than Honda and Yamaha, both of which are ridiculously over priced.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Foto-n-T

• ---
    • Foto-n-T.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
You're right, there's nothing cheap about Honda or Yamaha inverter/generators.  When we bought our Honda 2000 eight years ago Yamaha didn't even make a 2k unit.  We thought we got a great deal at $900 and I still think it wasn't too bad for what we got.

When we bought the Honda I installed an hour meter to keep track of the hours for service intervals.  That faded little red generator now has over 1400 hours on it and it refuses to die.  If you're going to use a generator/inverter long term I'd be curious as to how well those less expensive models are going to hold up.  If they can match the Honda or Yamaha I'd be impressed enough to buy one next time.  If I can ever wear the Honda out.
Joe

2008 Victory Lane
1998 Freightliner FL50
Cody, WY when it's not covered in ice.

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
That being said, I absolutely can not understand why so many people insist on only Honda or Yamaha. They used to be unique. However, there are now many other inverter generators with virtually identical specifications that sell for about half of the price.
Joel

Gary said it best.  There other brands, including Champion, that now have similar decibel ratings.  But I am also a believer of the old saying about getting what you pay for.  There is a reason that all the big box stores and the local hardware joint down the street sells Champion. 

I've owned a few different brands over the years.  My last three have all been Honda's.  When I was last in the market to purchase a larger genny (4 years ago), I did a lot of research.  I talked to small engine mechanics, spoke to people who owned different brands, internet searches, etc.

After compiling all my information, there was no question that I would chose another Honda.  Then it was time to look for my best price.  I found a brand new EU3000is display model that had been started up about 6 times.  Best generator I have owned so far. 

For someone like me (permanently parked in the middle of nowhere), the availability of quality parts and service is well worth the added cost.  Compared to aftermarket parts or waiting for that "slow boat from China" to bring that special order part to get another brand up and running.

My point is your ears and price shouldn't be the only determining factor when purchasing a quality generator.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:41:18 PM »
I don't know how many hours I have on my EU1000i - but I bought it 13 years ago when they first came out and I've been using it regularly since then.

The first time I brought it into a Honda dealer for the scheduled carbon removal, they told me how to do it using Sea Foam.   That's the last time it's seen the inside of a shop - it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance since.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:43:47 PM by Lou Schneider »

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »
Boliy runs in the low-mid 50's.  Yet again, we really appreciated the Boliy purchase!  Ran for 5 hours in the back of our TV while pulling down to Myrtle Beach today.  Anyone around here knows it's between 100 - 104 deg today, set the 15k aircon unit on 80 deg with our cat in the 5Ver, all was well.  While Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard, there are other options more affordable (like almost half as much).
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

X-Treme

• ---
    • Robin's Automotive
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »

That is one INCREDIBLE a/c unit!!!! Pretty sure you meant 13,500btu. Mine is a 15k.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
2011 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD
Home: Sherwood Park (Edmonton), Alberta, Canada

rhoag

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
Opps ya standard 13,500BTU's   

b1cxto35

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 08:00:41 AM »
What about diesel generators when driving a diesel truck and pulling a fiver or is it safe to carry gas.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »
What is your question re diesel generators? You can certainly use diesel instead of gas if you prefer - there are plenty of diesel gensets available.

As for the safety of carrying gas, portable gasoline containers are always a concern but it's the same concern whether the truck is gas or diesel powered. Generally speaking, gas in an approved gas container is safe enough, assuming is is well-secured (doesn't tip over) and protected from punctures. Where it gets dicey is in an vehicle accident. Any gas tank, portable or fixed, becomes risky then.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summer: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

lumpy75

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
I agree there are many Honda look alike on the market at half the price but you get what you pay for. My first gen was a China special that was low priced and built like the Honda 2000. Well I used it for 2 outings and one storm at home and it was done. I T/S the issue but you can not get parts. What a waste. The folks next to me at the races I go to runs the 2 champion 2000 set up and I have to say I am impressed with them. They are not bad but they are not as quiet as my setup when at load. Idle speed they are almost the same. You have to look at how much you will use it. If you need it 5 or 6 outings a year I would step up and get the Honda. If you are only going to use it once or twice then I would get the Champion or some other china special. I have ran my Honda setup for up to around 70 hours per outing 5 to 6 times a year at race tracks. I normally do not run both we are not A/C folks. I switch them back and forth to equal run time. In 6 years have only changed the oil and replaced spark plugs. use 2 Honda 2000 EU with parallel plug.   

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I'm at a CG, can't I just plug in?  Why would one want to run a generator at a CG unless the power is out.
I just returned from a 8,000 mile trip out west.  We stayed at a lot of National Forest and other BLM campgrounds and none had power available.  So, my generator was needed for morning coffee and toast.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Cowhead

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
Ok so I have a question so if you run two Honda EU2000i rated at 59db or you run one Yamaha EF6300iSDE rated @ 64db wont the two Honda's be louder since you have two running at 59db?  I guess I dont need something like a EF6300iSDE but I would like one in case of a power outage at home to run my furnace in the winter and my sump pumps and freezers etc in the summer..  So whats everyone's opinion on that set up.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
I read someplace that there is an actual spec for max dB in some national parks or national forests.....
Something you may want to research
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

robertusa123

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
Most national parks. Don't allow generator to be run during quit time. No matter how quiet they are
1996  26ft. 3 kids 2 dog and the wife too

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »
Most national parks. Don't allow generator to be run during quit time. No matter how quiet they are
True, but quiet time in most (many ?) National parks is 10 pm to 6 am.  You don't really need one then because if you are enjoying yourself, it is sleepy time then anyway.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Bamaman

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
My new fifth wheel is arriving later this week, and I'm researching generators.  The inverter generators put out cleaner electricity for electronics, etc., and they're quieter because the engine goes up and down in rpms--according to the load on the generator.  They're also more efficient on gasoline, etc.

The gold standard is two Honda EU2000's or one EU3000, and both about the same cost @ $2K.  They're very quiet, too.

But the Yamaha generators come in the same size and configurations as Honda--and quality is maybe one notch better.   Yamaha also has a 2800 watt inverter generator that'll put out 3500 watts for 10 seconds for your a/c to start up and 3000 watts for 10 minutes.  It's the real hoss in the recreational world @ $2222 online.

For economy generators, it's hard to beat the Champion brand.  They may be Chinese, but they appear to be a very customer driven company.  Customer ratings are very high for Champion.  You can get a 3100 watt generator for $315 online (Amazon.)  They have a model 3100 inverter RV generator for $987 that's compact and quiet--more like the Honda EU3000 and the Yamaha's--at less than 1/2 the price.  It looks like a real honey.

lumpy75

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »
To the question about using the larger 6300 yes it make less noise. The person to the other side of me at the camp in Newton is running a Honda 6500 EU. You hardly know it is running even when loaded. The only issue is weight. If you can handle that size then go for it. I can not lift it in and out of the truck so I went with the 2000. Very easy to move around. This guy has a platform on the back of his fifth wheel that is for a motorcycle that he rolls it up on. He does have to get help to get it on and off.

Hosted by Over The Network