Generator decibels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about diesel generators when driving a diesel truck and pulling a fiver or is it safe to carry gas.

What is your question re diesel generators? You can certainly use diesel instead of gas if you prefer - there are plenty of diesel gensets available.

As for the safety of carrying gas, portable gasoline containers are always a concern but it's the same concern whether the truck is gas or diesel powered. Generally speaking, gas in an approved gas container is safe enough, assuming is is well-secured (doesn't tip over) and protected from punctures. Where it gets dicey is in an vehicle accident. Any gas tank, portable or fixed, becomes risky then.

I agree there are many Honda look alike on the market at half the price but you get what you pay for. My first gen was a China special that was low priced and built like the Honda 2000. Well I used it for 2 outings and one storm at home and it was done. I T/S the issue but you can not get parts. What a waste. The folks next to me at the races I go to runs the 2 champion 2000 set up and I have to say I am impressed with them. They are not bad but they are not as quiet as my setup when at load. Idle speed they are almost the same. You have to look at how much you will use it. If you need it 5 or 6 outings a year I would step up and get the Honda. If you are only going to use it once or twice then I would get the Champion or some other china special. I have ran my Honda setup for up to around 70 hours per outing 5 to 6 times a year at race tracks. I normally do not run both we are not A/C folks. I switch them back and forth to equal run time. In 6 years have only changed the oil and replaced spark plugs. use 2 Honda 2000 EU with parallel plug.   

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I'm at a CG, can't I just plug in?  Why would one want to run a generator at a CG unless the power is out.
I just returned from a 8,000 mile trip out west.  We stayed at a lot of National Forest and other BLM campgrounds and none had power available.  So, my generator was needed for morning coffee and toast.

Ok so I have a question so if you run two Honda EU2000i rated at 59db or you run one Yamaha EF6300iSDE rated @ 64db wont the two Honda's be louder since you have two running at 59db?  I guess I dont need something like a EF6300iSDE but I would like one in case of a power outage at home to run my furnace in the winter and my sump pumps and freezers etc in the summer..  So whats everyone's opinion on that set up.

I read someplace that there is an actual spec for max dB in some national parks or national forests.....
Something you may want to research

robertusa123 said:
Most national parks. Don't allow generator to be run during quit time. No matter how quiet they are
True, but quiet time in most (many ?) National parks is 10 pm to 6 am.  You don't really need one then because if you are enjoying yourself, it is sleepy time then anyway.

My new fifth wheel is arriving later this week, and I'm researching generators.  The inverter generators put out cleaner electricity for electronics, etc., and they're quieter because the engine goes up and down in rpms--according to the load on the generator.  They're also more efficient on gasoline, etc.

The gold standard is two Honda EU2000's or one EU3000, and both about the same cost @ $2K.  They're very quiet, too.

But the Yamaha generators come in the same size and configurations as Honda--and quality is maybe one notch better.  Yamaha also has a 2800 watt inverter generator that'll put out 3500 watts for 10 seconds for your a/c to start up and 3000 watts for 10 minutes.  It's the real hoss in the recreational world @ $2222 online.

For economy generators, it's hard to beat the Champion brand.  They may be Chinese, but they appear to be a very customer driven company.  Customer ratings are very high for Champion.  You can get a 3100 watt generator for $315 online (Amazon.)  They have a model 3100 inverter RV generator for $987 that's compact and quiet--more like the Honda EU3000 and the Yamaha's--at less than 1/2 the price.  It looks like a real honey.

To the question about using the larger 6300 yes it make less noise. The person to the other side of me at the camp in Newton is running a Honda 6500 EU. You hardly know it is running even when loaded. The only issue is weight. If you can handle that size then go for it. I can not lift it in and out of the truck so I went with the 2000. Very easy to move around. This guy has a platform on the back of his fifth wheel that is for a motorcycle that he rolls it up on. He does have to get help to get it on and off.

Oh come on guys! 8)

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=55105.0

I know it is a lte reply to an old post but I had to set things straight.

https://www.commodious.co.uk/knowledge-bank/noise/measuring-levels#:~:text=A%20normal%20conversation%20is%2060,noise%20of%2080%20%2D%2090%20db.

Ideally, the noise would not exceed 60dba at 3 meters, about 22 feet. Remember that noise increases exponentially meaning that 61 dba is twice as loud as 60 and 62 is twice as loud as 61.
RoyM... not so fast. 3 Meters is about 10' (one meter is approximately 39"). And an increase in db of 10, not 1, is approximately twice the sound level.

Forest service rules is max 62 db. So as long as you are below that, you are ok. I have an old construction grade Champion and its pretty quiet for the engine but it vibrates and rattles a lot so that can cause additional issues. I have a new Rioby inverter 4000 with 30 amp 120v only and its below 62, and it just sets there and doesnt walk around on its own. I camp at non powered forest service camp grounds and boon docking in the back woods. Be minefull of when you run you generator. As others have stated. But if your the only camper, you can get away with more. I have other camp items for those early am coffee making times and such.

I have had my honda 2000eui for over 18years. Still runs strong. It really runs better and is easier starting by using gasoline without ethanol. I haven’t seen this in any of the above posts, maybe it is just assumed, but no ethanol makes a small engine much happier. In all these years, i have changed the spark plug once.

Generators also have their own tone. The EU3000 Honda and Champion dual fuel 3400 have similar noise levels but the champion seems slightly less irritating to me. We don't use if for camping though. Just back up home power for us (and the neighours). We exercise it once evry 4 or 6 weeks using the Tesla so we can vary the load (as per the manual). Works well. We have never put gas in it. Always propane. I don't like storing gas. Too much work.

And on edit. The champion has a TT30 plug as well. Even though we don’t use it for camping it is handy for the Tesla EVSE.

Cheers.

51184156494_899fb265f3_c.jpg

51182688672_b07f7ae716_c.jpg

Last edited:
That is one INCREDIBLE a/c unit!!!! Pretty sure you meant 13,500btu. Mine is a 15k.
Yeah I was wondering what kind of AC that was.

I have always heard that two Honda 2000s connected would run a 15k btu AC. My dealer is telling me I need a 5500 watt gen to run the 15k btu AC unit on the camper I am about to buy. Any idea what he is talking about? Maybe he's being cautious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom