Did I break my fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

I brought my unit to my house and put it in the driveway which is on an incline.  My fridge started to get warm after about 4 hours in the driveway.  I got the book out and read not to run it when on and incline over 3 degrees.  It was working fine when I parked it.  Now people are having parties, I'm late for one right now, so I can't get the 37 footer out of my driveway if I wanted.  The auto light stayed on the whole time,  I just now turned it off.  Do you think I did any permanent damage, or will it work fine again when I level out?  Thanks.

Unfortunately, operating the fridge off-level is one of the quickest ways to kill the cooling unit.

The cooling system works by boiling the refrigerant (an ammona and water mixture), then the gasses rise by convection to the highest point in the system, where they condense and release their heat.  The cooled liquids then are carried back to the boiler by gravity, cooling the freezer and refrigerator in the process.

When the refrigerator is off-level, the gravity drain back to the boiler is disrupted - liquids won't run uphill - and if the boiler runs dry it creates hard crystals that can then block the passages in the cooling unit.

All you can do is try it once you level out.  It will either work or it won't.  But don't turn it back on until then.

Before I'd spend $1200 on a gas fridge.. I'd put in a residential. I did that in a TT and had more room and didn't have to refill the beer near as often.. as a bonus it made ice too. Oh and it cost way less too.
I doubt I'll ever buy a gas fired again. Just my 2 cents.
George

Hegimier,

We just replaced our Norcold, aka NoCold, with a residential refer. It cost about what a cooling unit replacement would be. Not sure how it will work out for boondocking but have heard many favorable reports.

All of these RV refers are subject to failure and fire. After two refers and three cooling units I finally had it. Never again will I ever own an RV refer.

The biggest problem is finding one that will fit in the space with minimal alterations and can easily be put inside the RV.

I'm wondering if you really broke your fridge that way. Running off-level causes long term damage and it seems strange that you permanently lost cooling in only about 4 hours of operation. I can see a temporary lack of cooling, but that is quick for permanent damage.

How far off was the level anyway? 3 degrees is actually a lot of tilt - more than 1.5 feet of  height over the length of your 37 footer. Most people would find that so uncomfortable they would do something about it anyway.

Gary, you were right and an answer to prayer.  Others & the manual said in as little as one hour it will do permanent damage, and I was thinking the worst, had already priced out a new one.  But once I got it back on flat ground, now, I saw your message, turned it on, went out to check about 30 minutes later, and it's working!  Here's a pic of my driveway, and as I'm packing it up to go on my maiden voyage.  From the pics you can see the level of the driveway, and it was uncomfortable to load that way, but as you can see it's a problem in the street as well.  Then my motorcycle trailer that claims to be only 100-140 lbs tongue weight, with bike and all should be only be 1,000lbs.

Attachments

• Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Getting ready to leave on first trip.jpg
    Getting ready to leave on first trip.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Ready to load the bike.jpg
    Ready to load the bike.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Members online