EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Slide Out Issue  (Read 5880 times)

bill715

• ---
Slide Out Issue
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »
I have Cocahman Freelander 32BH 2011 model.Recently I have an issue with my front slide out.It quit working at times.Back room slide always work fine.It does make noise when I put the switch in to get the slide in but nothing happen when I push out switch.I have also noticed that when Motorhome is connected to shore power for several hours than slide start working fine.I took the RV to RV shop and he diagnosed that one house battery is bad.I decided to change both and took the batteries alone back to RV shop and asked them tocheck again and this time both batteries turn out to be good.I took the batteries to a different auto shop and he also declared them good.I have 12 volt 2 worldwide batteries connected in parallel manufactured Jan 2010 so still under warranty.I checked both batteries myself at home again after charging them fully.When fully charged both read around 13.4 volt and after several hours later post disconnecting charger hold the charge around 12.5 volt.I check the specific gravity and it is pretty much same in all the cells.So it looks batteries are good but than why slide quit working at times and when connected to shore power for several hours start working fine.It is always the front slide(may be it need more juice to work).What you people think is the problem.Motorhome is only 2 years old.

bill715

• ---
Re: Slide Out Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
I went out this morning and checked the front slide out and it worked fine after connecting to shore power overnight.I check the voltage in the battery with shore power connected and it was 13.4 volt.Voltage was same last night but slide did not work even after connecting to shore power for several hours.What is wrong here.Please help me out.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
It sounds like there is a bad connection (either hot or ground) some place between the batteries and the slide motor.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »
It sounds like there is a bad connection (either hot or ground) some place between the batteries and the slide motor.

Joel

Joel is most likely correct.

Remove, inspect, clean and re-tighten all large battery connections from the negative connection (at the frame) all the way through the batteries to the slide motor.  Something is loose or corroded.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

bill715

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Could it be a bad controller.What about house batteries.Why it always worked fine when connected to shore power for several hours.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »
Why it always worked fine when connected to shore power for several hours.

Because the batteries have had a chance to get topped up (charged) most likely.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

bill715

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
But both batteries tested fine when I took them to two different shops.Resting voltage in both batteries is 12.7 volt and when connected to shore power voltage is 13.4.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
I talk to the serviceman at the dealership where I bought the motorhome.He recommended to change the switch first and see whether this helps.He did said there has been issue with the switches.Now I have a question.On the same panel board there are exactly 2 same switches one for the front slide and one for the back room slide with exact same number of terminals and wires.One whole switch has 2 buttons,one for manual over ride and one for in and out for slide.Now can I completely revesed the wires in both switches to see whether now front slide works and back slide go off if there is a problem with one switch as I know that back room slide always work fine.Is there a problem doing this.In this what I am trying to do that reversing the control switches to check whether the problem is in the switch or not.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
I'm not sure just why you are reluctant to check the battery connections that have been suggested, but if you would rather swap wires on those switches, I would suggest that you take photos and make drawings of which wire goes on which terminal before you start stripping them off. 

My opinion is that it's an exercise in futility and fraught with potential for disaster.  Good luck.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
No I did check all the wires at the battery,disconnected them,clean the battery terminals and reconnected them.Nothing happened.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Just Luo,
I checked all the wires at battery terminal includng a white grounding wire connected to a silver plate.It was tight like a rope when crossing over the relay.I loosened it by starightening the terminal where it was connected.I also checked all the wires at the motor and they seems fine.Currently slide working fine.I will continue to monitor and report back if it quit working.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
It quit again and not working.I again checked the wires at the control box under the refrigerator and guess what I found.I found 2 wires(orange and white)coming out of black control box are not connected to each other.Other portion of the wires also coming out of black box and both of them  have male and female connectors to join them togather in the middle but they are not connected.I am confused here as I am not sure whether they are purposefully left unconnected or accidentally came out.Should I join them togather and see whether this solve my problem.I did swap the switches and clearly established that both switches are fine.I appreciate your help.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
I would be reluctant to connect wires that I didn't know what they were for.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
Friends I am still waiting if someone can help me.I have clearly established that slide is intermittently working.It quit working for no reason and than start working again.Did anybody  else has this problem with their slide and wht did you do to get it fixed.This is lippert front above floor electrical slide.Back slide works fine.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
I did connect the 2 wires which I described above.Orange to orange wire and white to white wire,both wires coming out of the control box.By doing that the slide mechanism reverses itself for in/out mechanism.When I pushed the in button for the back slide it start going out and vice versa.For the front slide same thing happened but it did not come in by pushing the out button.Now I have established  that motor is working fine,switches working fine,there must be something wrong with the slide control box and these 2 wires hanging loose.When I disconnected them than back slide start acting normally as it always do meaning by pushing in button it comes in and by pushing out button,it goes out.While troubled front slide do not get out by pushing the out button but still comes in when I push in button as it was doing all along.So the problem is with out mechanism.Now I am thinking what would happen if I join those two wires in opposite direction meaning connect orange wire with white.As I now know that these two wires which I found disconnected has to do something with slide in and out mechanism.Any comments.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »
Any of the senior member or forum staff member please add your expertise comments and help me out.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
Without a schematic of the system, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how to connect those wires.  Guessing is not a good diagnostic technique and can lead to worse problems.

You may find this manual of some help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:48:47 PM by Ned »
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

bill715

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
So what would you recommend I should do.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
See my previous message for an addendum.
2007 GMC Canyon

bill715

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Thanks Ned.I did read the manual but still could not figure out where the problem is.Can you explain about 30Amp auto reset breaker.Where would I find it.I did established that switches are fine,motor is working fine so problem must be in the control box.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
I have no idea where any of the parts are physically located on your RV.
2007 GMC Canyon

bill715

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »
I did contacted the coachmen directly and was told that those two wires are there for reversing the switch control.I can connect them togather if I want and they will reverse the direction of action.By pushig in button,slide will go out and vice versa.By talking to dealership,coachmen ervice personal consensus was that problem lies with control box so I decided to replace it and place the order.I will report back once it is installed.

bill715

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
I would like to ask if any one of you have changed the slide control box yourself.In my RV it is under the refrigerator and space is tight to work.It has lot of wires with connectors.Seems simple with unhooking the connectors and reconnecting them with new control box but because of limited space it may create problem.Also I have noted that connectors pretty tight to disconnect.Any suggestions.

Brother Bear

• ---
  • Great Plains
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
Bill - I don't know your particular unit either. However, most multi-wire electrical connectors will incorporate a retainer of some sort. If it's square or rectangular and internal it likely has a tab or two that needs to be depressed as you pull it apart. External likely has the same that need to be spread open.

Perhaps you'll be blessed and your connectors will only fit one spot one way. I'd take photos and/or mark them just the same.
Larry

bill715

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
I received my new control box from coachmen today.I was able to successfully connect all the connectors and front slide start working normally.Thank you all for the help

Boydrkb

• ---
  • It's tough getting old but the alternatives suck
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
We are going tomorrow to get a new 2017 Freelander 31' BH.  I just realized the thing that really toasted my cashews with my present/trade-in rig, a 2010 Class C Freelander, was/is the slide out.  Where the rails of the slide-outs go into the main body of the coach there are big air gaps.  These gaps are large enough for insects to fly in and allow lots of dust to blow into the rig when slide is extended...So....my question is:  Has the Coachman/Freelander corrected/changed the slide-out configuration with the 2017 31' BH?   Sure hope someone is able to give me some insight on this. Driving a 100 miles to find the same problem as with my present rig is not in the least bit appetizing....I've scoured the interweb looking for pics or info to no avail.  Thanks for your help.

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
I have Cocahman Freelander 32BH 2011 model.Recently I have an issue with my front slide out.It quit working at times.Back room slide always work fine.It does make noise when I put the switch in to get the slide in but nothing happen when I push out switch.I have also noticed that when Motorhome is connected to shore power for several hours than slide start working fine.....

Also I don't know the slide on your particular unit. In my RV noticed that occasionally my electric slides would not operate and that an error code would be generated.  Like you I was operating from the batteries.  When this happens I check the code it was flashing and each time the manual only said "major error" (such a comforting descriptor)  I soon learned that if I unscrewed the subpanel where the slide switch was located that I could reset the circuit on the side of the PWB and it would allow override electric operation.  It occurred to me that this could be a undervoltage issue so I also went to using slides only after connecting shore power or if no shore power by starting the generator first.  I have yet to have a problem by following this procedure, but I expect it ought to work fine with just batteries.  I also expect that starting the generator and shutting if off after I have operated the slide is putting unnecessary wear and tear on the generator, so sometimes I let it run for a while.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

OLDRACER

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »
Just a remote possibility on electric slide out issues, mine on a Winnebago went out, would not come in. Started checking connection at the slide motors, first connection  checked came off a little too easy, looked just fine, but when I put it back it became obvious it had never been seated all the way home.

Dumb luck to catch it on the first try and the easiest one to reach, but never another problem. I still wonder if it was a simple mistake or a case of sabotage, not the first I have seen.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
 Gald you got it working,  Just out of coursity what make slide out is it?

I have a Power Gear for my Main Slide and Accu-Slide for the rear slides... (Accu slides are cable cars power gear is rack and pinion)

My controller is confirmed bad.... New one on order.. In my case the self resetting circuit breaker is about six inches or less from the controller,  the controller is in a "You can't get there from here" location however.. I found it but we are going to have to tear out a shelf to replace it.

Oh well.. Why Rachel gets $75.00/hr  and I'll pay her, cause I don't bend that way.

NOTE 2: Both power gear, Accu-slide, adn A&E (Awnings) use controlers that are much alike, there are no limit switches, when the current in the motor spikes the controller shuts down.. Now sometimes,,, It is a bit too "Senisitive" and shuts down early.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network