Slide Out Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill715

I have Cocahman Freelander 32BH 2011 model.Recently I have an issue with my front slide out.It quit working at times.Back room slide always work fine.It does make noise when I put the switch in to get the slide in but nothing happen when I push out switch.I have also noticed that when Motorhome is connected to shore power for several hours than slide start working fine.I took the RV to RV shop and he diagnosed that one house battery is bad.I decided to change both and took the batteries alone back to RV shop and asked them tocheck again and this time both batteries turn out to be good.I took the batteries to a different auto shop and he also declared them good.I have 12 volt 2 worldwide batteries connected in parallel manufactured Jan 2010 so still under warranty.I checked both batteries myself at home again after charging them fully.When fully charged both read around 13.4 volt and after several hours later post disconnecting charger hold the charge around 12.5 volt.I check the specific gravity and it is pretty much same in all the cells.So it looks batteries are good but than why slide quit working at times and when connected to shore power for several hours start working fine.It is always the front slide(may be it need more juice to work).What you people think is the problem.Motorhome is only 2 years old.

I went out this morning and checked the front slide out and it worked fine after connecting to shore power overnight.I check the voltage in the battery with shore power connected and it was 13.4 volt.Voltage was same last night but slide did not work even after connecting to shore power for several hours.What is wrong here.Please help me out.

Great Horned Owl said:
It sounds like there is a bad connection (either hot or ground) some place between the batteries and the slide motor.

Joel

Joel is most likely correct.

Remove, inspect, clean and re-tighten all large battery connections from the negative connection (at the frame) all the way through the batteries to the slide motor.  Something is loose or corroded.

Could it be a bad controller.What about house batteries.Why it always worked fine when connected to shore power for several hours.

Why it always worked fine when connected to shore power for several hours.

Because the batteries have had a chance to get topped up (charged) most likely.

But both batteries tested fine when I took them to two different shops.Resting voltage in both batteries is 12.7 volt and when connected to shore power voltage is 13.4.

I talk to the serviceman at the dealership where I bought the motorhome.He recommended to change the switch first and see whether this helps.He did said there has been issue with the switches.Now I have a question.On the same panel board there are exactly 2 same switches one for the front slide and one for the back room slide with exact same number of terminals and wires.One whole switch has 2 buttons,one for manual over ride and one for in and out for slide.Now can I completely revesed the wires in both switches to see whether now front slide works and back slide go off if there is a problem with one switch as I know that back room slide always work fine.Is there a problem doing this.In this what I am trying to do that reversing the control switches to check whether the problem is in the switch or not.

I'm not sure just why you are reluctant to check the battery connections that have been suggested, but if you would rather swap wires on those switches, I would suggest that you take photos and make drawings of which wire goes on which terminal before you start stripping them off. 

My opinion is that it's an exercise in futility and fraught with potential for disaster.  Good luck.

No I did check all the wires at the battery,disconnected them,clean the battery terminals and reconnected them.Nothing happened.

Just Luo,
I checked all the wires at battery terminal includng a white grounding wire connected to a silver plate.It was tight like a rope when crossing over the relay.I loosened it by starightening the terminal where it was connected.I also checked all the wires at the motor and they seems fine.Currently slide working fine.I will continue to monitor and report back if it quit working.

It quit again and not working.I again checked the wires at the control box under the refrigerator and guess what I found.I found 2 wires(orange and white)coming out of black control box are not connected to each other.Other portion of the wires also coming out of black box and both of them  have male and female connectors to join them togather in the middle but they are not connected.I am confused here as I am not sure whether they are purposefully left unconnected or accidentally came out.Should I join them togather and see whether this solve my problem.I did swap the switches and clearly established that both switches are fine.I appreciate your help.

I would be reluctant to connect wires that I didn't know what they were for.

Friends I am still waiting if someone can help me.I have clearly established that slide is intermittently working.It quit working for no reason and than start working again.Did anybody  else has this problem with their slide and wht did you do to get it fixed.This is lippert front above floor electrical slide.Back slide works fine.

I did connect the 2 wires which I described above.Orange to orange wire and white to white wire,both wires coming out of the control box.By doing that the slide mechanism reverses itself for in/out mechanism.When I pushed the in button for the back slide it start going out and vice versa.For the front slide same thing happened but it did not come in by pushing the out button.Now I have established  that motor is working fine,switches working fine,there must be something wrong with the slide control box and these 2 wires hanging loose.When I disconnected them than back slide start acting normally as it always do meaning by pushing in button it comes in and by pushing out button,it goes out.While troubled front slide do not get out by pushing the out button but still comes in when I push in button as it was doing all along.So the problem is with out mechanism.Now I am thinking what would happen if I join those two wires in opposite direction meaning connect orange wire with white.As I now know that these two wires which I found disconnected has to do something with slide in and out mechanism.Any comments.

Any of the senior member or forum staff member please add your expertise comments and help me out.

Without a schematic of the system, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how to connect those wires.  Guessing is not a good diagnostic technique and can lead to worse problems.

You may find this manual of some help.

Thanks Ned.I did read the manual but still could not figure out where the problem is.Can you explain about 30Amp auto reset breaker.Where would I find it.I did established that switches are fine,motor is working fine so problem must be in the control box.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom